would this work? secondhand macbook leopard format

hi guys, at my dads secondhand shop they have a pretty much brand new 13" macbook that i want to buy

but if i buy it i want to do a format and reinstall Mac OSX 10.5.6 (Leopard) on it, because the person who owned it first has a whole heap of stuff i dont want

now my mate has just bought a brand new MacBook Pro last nite and because its new his came with the Leopard DVD and Application Disc thing

i was wondering if it would be possible for me to use his Leopard DVD to do a format on my secondhand MacBook

cheers,

Dale

obviously if we cant discuss it out in the open then send me a PM!

****in sweet so i just format the macbook and borrow my mates leopard install disc and away i go?

awesome

macs are SO much better than windows

I think the install discs that come with the computers are tied to the computer their with. For example, MBP discs only work with MBPs.

ive just been informed that my mate bought a "MacBook" not a "MacBook Pro"

sorry for the confusion

so just to clear things up, the MacBook im going to get is identical (apart from colour) to the new one that my mate bought

I think the install discs that come with the computers are tied to the computer their with. For example, MBP discs only work with MBPs.

Not true. They are labelled indeed but you can use them in any Apple machine as well.

sweet so this is how its gonna gonna go down

im gonna install Restore my 2nd hand MacBook with Leopard from the discs that came with my mates brand new MacBook.

would this work?

sweet so this is how its gonna gonna go down

im gonna install Restore my 2nd hand MacBook with Leopard from the discs that came with my mates brand new MacBook.

would this work?

Probably not - the restore disc are model specfic. If you have the same model it will work (as in same release period) but other than that I think you are out of luck.

I have an Mac mini and a MBA, and I can't use the MBA disc on the mini and the other way around.

Not true. They are labelled indeed but you can use them in any Apple machine as well.

Not true. Retail Leopard discs you can use on any mac, but not bundled Leopard discs.

Probably not - the restore disc are model specfic. If you have the same model it will work (as in same release period) but other than that I think you are out of luck.

I have an Mac mini and a MBA, and I can't use the MBA disc on the mini and the other way around.

thats probably because ur using the MacBook Air disc on the Mini...

im trying to use a Leopard disc from a new MacBook on another MacBook that already has Leopard

Edited by dmaji1

Strange, I have used Mac Pro discs on my MBP without problem.

thats probably because ur using the MacBook Air disc on the Mini...

im trying to use a Leopard disc from a new MacBook on another MacBook that already has Leopard

The new macbooks have different drivers (guess that what we will call them) for the touchpad which you MacBook doesn't have. I have tried this in the past and it wouldn't work.

This may have different on Tiger and Jaguar OS X but not with Leopard - unless your machine is the same model as the one you are using the restore disk from

I recently had to go and purchase Leopard after my restore disc for my white Macbook become damaged and the MBA and mini disk would not work on it. It will start but then you get a message saying something like "Your machine is not compatible with the restore disk" or something like that

Like the others said, they're machine specific. I've tried to use my Mac Pro disc in my MBP and it doesn't work. ;)