Amazon burns new 50 percent off Blu-ray sale

Retailer Amazon.com this week began holding a new 50 percent off Blu-ray disc sale in a new high-definition promotion.

Eligible titles include The Godfather Giftset, Flags of Our Fathers, Nacho Libre, Patriot Games, Election, We Were Soldiers, and Old School.

Titles start at $14.99.

Amazon is concurrently holding a new 'Buy More, Save More' Blu-ray disc sale in the latest high-definition promotion.

In the new offer, customers can save between $20 to $100 with the purchase of 3 to 10 Blu-ray disc titles.

Eligible titles include Wall-E, Ratatouille, Pirates of the Caribbean, Kill Bill, Chicken Little, and National Treasure.

Finally, Amazon this week price cut Sony Corp.'s Playstation 3 160GB SKU to $469.99, six percent off the $499.99 MSRP.

Source: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=7667

Yeah, Amazon usually has great sales on BDs. The only reason I don't take advantage of them is because I still need a player. As long as Blu-ray players remain at a high price, I will never buy Blu-ray movies no matter how cheap they are. I know some people here recommended a Samsung player which is now currently $185 at Amazon, but I would rather get a better one. From reviews I read, the Sony ones are better and they're all currently $270 or more, which is still ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, Amazon usually has great sales on BDs. The only reason I don't take advantage of them is because I still need a player. As long as Blu-ray players remain at a high price, I will never buy Blu-ray movies no matter how cheap they are. I know some people here recommended a Samsung player which is now currently $185 at Amazon, but I would rather get a better one. From reviews I read, the Sony ones are better and they're all currently $270 or more, which is still ridiculously expensive.

for that price just get a PS3.

I bought a Sony BDP S350 for $210 (brand new) last fall on eBay, so the deals are out there if you just look.

I make it a practice to never buy anything that expensive on Ebay. If it's broken or defective, returning it might not be as easy as you think. Maybe it is, but you're taking a chance. At least, when buying these from Best Buy or Amazon, they'll refund your money if something is wrong without any hassle.

Sony blu-ray players are far from the best. I was at a friends house and he had to call Sony up because his blu-ray player is horrible. They flat out told him they know it's bad, and to expect it because they are still new. They didn't actually do anything for him at all. All they said was to do a firmware update. He already had the latest one.

A Sony player might have a lot of features on paper, but that means absolutely nothing in terms of actual performance and reliability.

Sony blu-ray players are far from the best. I was at a friends house and he had to call Sony up because his blu-ray player is horrible. They flat out told him they know it's bad, and to expect it because they are still new. They didn't actually do anything for him at all. All they said was to do a firmware update. He already had the latest one.

A Sony player might have a lot of features on paper, but that means absolutely nothing in terms of actual performance and reliability.

Sony Blu-ray players should be the best for two reasons:

1. The Blu-ray format was made by Sony.

2. The PS3 is known to be the best Blu-ray player out there and the PS3 is a Sony.

2. The PS3 is known to be the best Blu-ray player out there and the PS3 is a Sony.

your #2 statement could be not any farther from the truth. The PS3 may be the best Sony player out there (prob still not accurate), but it is def not the best. There are players out there now from Denon that prob cost way more then they should but will overall be a better player. I don't have time to look up reviews but when the PS3 launched it def was the best bet for players for speed and ease of use. Since then many players have launched that have shown better PQ and other options (such as audio).

Found one - Samsung BD-P3600 - $400, so as far as price is concerned... stick with PS3, but for stand alone functions and if you dont mind shelling out the $$$ here is a better player -

In almost every standalone Blu-ray player we review, you're likely to find a comment about its disc-loading speed and how it inevitably doesn't compare with the Sony PlayStation 3. For once, that's not the case, as the Samsung BD-P3600 is flat-out faster than the PS3 at loading most movies and its operational speed is just as quick. The BD-P3600's feature set is also impressive, including Netflix and Pandora streaming, 7.1 analog outputs, 1GB onboard memory, and an included Wi-Fi USB dongle. Mix in its excellent image quality on Blu-ray Discs and its sleek design, and you've got one of the best Blu-ray players we've laid our hands on.

*sigh*

The "Blu-ray Disc Founder group" was started in May 20, 2002 by nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung.

*sigh*

The "Blu-ray Disc Founder group" was started in May 20, 2002 by nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung.

You can understand why people think that, due to how much of a push in Blu Ray winning Sony had.

However it's funny to see just how many people think Sony created Blu Ray :p

You people think you know so much. FYI, the Samsung players aren't the best. Take a look: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P1500-108...erBy=addOneStar

42 negative reviews. Some of the comments includes:

"3 months and broken"

"Worked for 2 weeks, then stopped recognizing discs"

"Stay Away From This Player!!!"

"Doesn't work with any of my DVDs - did I get a return????"

Now, some of you may own this player and it may work flawlessly for you, but maybe you just got lucky. Either you got a good batch or maybe you just never bought a BD that this player struggles with. Regardless, no matter how cheap it is, those negative comments are enough for me to conclude that the BD-P1500 is not the best player out there.

Here's the Sony BDP-S550: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S550-1080p-...1340&sr=1-2

Only 3 negative reviews. And CNET even recommends this player over the Samsung one.

So, I conclude that Sony is better than the Samsung. The Sony cost significantly more, but majority of consumers recommend this player over the Samsung. Maybe Sony may not be the "best," but it seems to me that it performs better than the Samsung ones.

And FYI, faster loading speed does not make a particular Blu-ray player better. My Sony DVD player is quite slow in loading, but it NEVER breaks down. My friend has a JVC DVD player, it loads really fast, but it breaks down occasionally.

Here's the Sony BDP-S550: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S550-1080p-...1340&sr=1-2

Only 3 negative reviews. And CNET even recommends this player over the Samsung one.

So, I conclude that Sony is better than the Samsung. The Sony cost significantly more, but majority of consumers recommend this player over the Samsung. Maybe Sony may not be the "best," but it seems to me that it performs better than the Samsung ones.

I have that player as well and it is a wonderful piece of equipment. HDMI out and perfect DVD upscaling. Sadly I got the laptop in my signature so I watch Blu-Ray on that more and stream it with HDMI out to my TV.

You people think you know so much. FYI, the Samsung players aren't the best. Take a look: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P1500-108...erBy=addOneStar

42 negative reviews. Some of the comments includes:

"3 months and broken"

"Worked for 2 weeks, then stopped recognizing discs"

"Stay Away From This Player!!!"

"Doesn't work with any of my DVDs - did I get a return????"

Now, some of you may own this player and it may work flawlessly for you, but maybe you just got lucky. Either you got a good batch or maybe you just never bought a BD that this player struggles with. Regardless, no matter how cheap it is, those negative comments are enough for me to conclude that the BD-P1500 is not the best player out there.

And FYI, faster loading speed does not make a particular Blu-ray player better. My Sony DVD player is quite slow in loading, but it NEVER breaks down. My friend has a JVC DVD player, it loads really fast, but it breaks down occasionally.

1 - that is not the Samsung player I mentioned, I never said who had the better player, I am just stating that the PS3 is not the best.

2 - in your 42 negative reviews part, you failed to mention the 138 5 star ratings(I believe your Sony model only had 123), 74 4 star ratings.

3 - you said the PS3 was the best player, you didnt even mention the S550.

the point is you are constantly posting false statements as if they were facts... see below

1. The Blu-ray format was made by Sony. - WRONG as posted already

2. The PS3 is known to be the best Blu-ray player out there and the PS3 is a Sony. - WRONG

1 - that is not the Samsung player I mentioned, I never said who had the better player, I am just stating that the PS3 is not the best.

2 - in your 42 negative reviews part, you failed to mention the 138 5 star ratings(I believe your Sony model only had 123), 74 4 star ratings.

3 - you said the PS3 was the best player, you didnt even mention the S550.

the point is you are constantly posting false statements as if they were facts... see below

1. The Blu-ray format was made by Sony. - WRONG as posted already

2. The PS3 is known to be the best Blu-ray player out there and the PS3 is a Sony. - WRONG

Fine, enjoy your Samsung player then since it's the best player in the world. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is that just because one person here has a friend that had problems with a Sony player, it doesn't automatically make them POS players.

And yes, I'll take a player with 123 positive reviews and 2 negative reviews instead of one with 138 positives (only 15 more, I might add) and a whopping 42 negatives.

Edited by xraffle

Fine, enjoy your Samsung player then since it's the best player in the world. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is that just because one person here has a friend that had problems with a Sony player, it doesn't automatically make them POS players.

And yes, I'll take a player with 123 positive reviews and 2 negative reviews instead of one with 138 positives (only 15 more, I might add) and a whopping 42 negatives.

I actually use a PS3 as my blu-ray player. But I am not blinded by brands(as you seem to be) and know that there better players out there then the PS3. At this time there are no real cost effective benefits to upgrading to a stand alone player. But for people out there who are looking for a player that can pass along the hd audio (not just pcm) or not in the mood to deal with a bluetooth only remote(without the added dongle for RF) they can shop around for a BETTER player than the ps3. As for your second comment about the "friend"... you are guilty of that in ALL of your dumb question threads... you are always talking about your friend with crappy picture quality or when you were looking to buy an hd tv you kept bashing samsung because of some thing someone bought like 5 years ago. This thread was about movie deals on BLURAY.. which... you dont even own.. so there was never even a reason for you to post in this thread! :crazy:

None of my "friends" have a Blu-ray player, only my cousin. He has a PS3 and just has one BD. The PS3 seems like an OK player, but just seeing it play one movie isn't enough for me to automatically declare it the "best" player. I said, it's known to be the best player. Most of the reviews I read say the PS3 is the best. I did not say it's a fact. I do not know if it's the best player, but many reviews say it is. Does that make it true? No, of course not.

And based on reviews, Sony players are better than Samsung ones. As for what is the "best Blu-ray player" out there, I do not know but it's going to to take some serious research and a lot of cash to get the best one.

Sheesh! Quit putting words in my mouth.

Ok a few things...

You need to learn to read. Not only that, but you need to learn some reading comprehension.

As for my example, it was purely that. An example. I didn't base my decision that Sony blu-ray player aren't very good solely on that. There are many reasons why I think Sony players aren't good. I just didn't find the need to tell you.

As for review counts, did you actually read them? The majority of negative reviews on Amazon have nothing to actually do with the product. Most say "I didn't get it fast enough" or "I'm too stupid to figure out how to use it so I give it a 1."

Also, there's the fact that you have no idea whether or not half of those people even own one. I have a ps3 and a Samsung blu-ray player, yet I never reviewed either. Both work well for me. But once again, It's not on Amazon so it's not part of your comparison.

Your logic, and I'm being nice by calling it that, makes absolutely no sense at all.

From now on I am not even bothering to reply to your nonsense posts. I'll just let you continue to have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It will be more fun that way. I need a laugh every once in a while.

And to continue on with the sale discussion...

They have some good movies listed for $14.99 now. And they have a buy 2 get one free deal going on.