[Football] Adriano's Contract Terminated *Update*

Brazil and Inter Milan striker Adriano is to take a break from football and "rethink his career".

"I've lost the happiness of playing," he told reporters on Thursday. "I wouldn't like to go back to Italy, I want to live in peace here in Brazil."

Adriano, 27, said he could not say how long he would stay away from the game.

"I don't know if I'm going to stay for one, two or three months without playing," said the former Flamengo star. "I'm going to rethink my career."

Adriano failed to return to Italy after last week's World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Peru, in which he was an unused substitute.

On Monday, his agent said Adriano had stayed in Brazil because of a private matter and confirmed the player had spent time in the Vila Cruzeiro favela, where he was raised.

Since then, Brazilian media has been full of speculation over what had happened to him.

The forward has struggled with fitness and alcohol problems since the 2006 World Cup, showing only flashes of the form that made him one of the world's most feared strikers.

[Source]

Shame he's a good player on his day

Edited by Rappy

I'm sure I read only last week that he was a happy bunny because Mourinho was giving him more game time.

It is a massive shame really, he was probably the best striker in the world at one point.

Don't think this is the first time he's gone AWOL, Weird thing is it always happen to players who play for countries outside Europe (not a dig by the way just an observation) always happens on international breaks as well.

Yeah he went back to Brazil to get fit again but then he returned was never the same after that spell I feel.

• 2 weeks later...
Inter Milan have confirmed they have cancelled the contract of AWOL striker Adriano.

Adriano went missing after a World Cup qualifier for Brazil earlier this month and refused to return to Inter.

The 27-year-old Brazilian star has suffered a string of personal problems in recent years and he revealed he was taking a break from the game.

Adriano's agent Gilmar Rinaldi had been holding talks with the club about cancelling the player's contract and now the issue has been settled between both parties.

A club statement read: "Inter would like to communicate that Adriano's contract has been mutually rescinded, taking effect from April 1.

"The documents were sent to the offices of the Italian Football League this morning.

"Everyone at Inter would like to give Adriano a warm embrace for his eight years and 74 goals here."

Source

• 2 weeks later...
Brazil international striker Adriano has signed for Rio de Janeiro-based club Flamengo.

The 27-year-old has been without a club since terminating his contract with Inter Milan in March.

The Italians broke off their agreement with the burly frontman after he failed to return from international duty.

Adriano said at the time that he was taking a break from football after growing disillusioned with the game.

However, he has been persuaded to make a quick-fire return at the club where he began his career in 2000.

He spent a year with Flamengo on that occasion before sealing a move to Europe.

He will be officially unveiled by his new employers on Thursday and will be hoping to make a similar impact upon his return to his homeland as his international colleague Ronaldo, who is enjoying a productive spell at Corinthians.

Source