The Hillsborough Football Disaster: 15th April 1989

Come the start of April, thoughts drift towards the 96 people who lost their lives during the Hillsborough disaster.

On April 15th 1989, 96 football fans went to watch and support their team in an FA Cup Semi Final, and never came home. Whether you were at Hillsborough on that terrible day, or were not even born when it happened, the disaster has had left a lasting effect on the city of Liverpool and its people.

This year is especially more poignant as April 15th 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough football disaster. It is shocking to think that nearly 20 years after that tragic day, justice has not yet been done, and the Hillsborough Justice Campaign continues the fight.

Every year, on the anniversary of the disaster, a memorial service is held at Anfield to remember those who lost their lives on that day. Although I have never done so before, the service is something I will be attending this year. I will also be distributing copies of 'The Hillsborough Football Disaster: Context & Consequences' around my University to raise awareness.

A special version of 'Fields of Anfield Road' was released on the 6th April to raise money for the Hillsborough Family Support Group, to boost awareness of the fight for justice, and, of course, to act as a musical tribute to the 96. I urge all of you to purchase the song on iTunes in a bid to get the song to number one and raise money for the HFSG, the song can also be purchased from HMV.

090401(1).jpg

Justice for the 96

For more information on the Hillsborough disaster please visit www.contrast.org/hillsborough

For more information on the musical tribute to the 96 please visit www.fieldsofanfieldroad.co.uk/hillsboroughsong.html

You'll Never Walk Alone

hillsboroughremembered_080409.gif

The anniversary is tomorrow. Attending the memorial service tomorrow at Anfield will be a particularly moving experience, I am not looking forward to it, but I feel I need to pay my respects to those lost on that day. Tomorrow, Liverpool as a community will be coming together.

I was talking to a survivor of Hillsborough only the other day, and it really hit me. Twenty years later, and he still cannot talk about that day without tears welling up in his eyes.

Oh, and to the person who gave this thread a 1* rating, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Twenty years may of passed since the terrible events at Hillsborough, but the 96 who lost their lives will never be forgotten.

HillsboroughMemorial_15042002_300x200.jpg

John Alfred Anderson (62)

Thomas Howard (39)

Colin Mark Ashcroft (19)

Thomas Anthony Howard (14)

James Gary Aspinall (18)

Eric George Hughes (42)

Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16)

Alan Johnston (29)

Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67)

Christine Anne Jones (27)

Simon Bell (17)

Gary Philip Jones (18)

Barry Sidney Bennett (26)

Richard Jones (25)

David John Benson (22)

Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)

David William Birtle (22)

Anthony Peter Kelly (29)

Tony Bland (22)

Michael David Kelly (38)

Paul David Brady (21)

Carl David Lewis (18)

Andrew Mark Brookes (26)

David William Mather (19)

Carl Brown (18)

Brian Christopher Mathews (38)

David Steven Brown (25)

Francis Joseph McAllister (27)

Henry Thomas Burke (47)

John McBrien (18)

Peter Andrew Burkett (24)

Marion Hazel McCabe (21)

Paul William Carlile (19)

Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)

Raymond Thomas Chapman (50)

Peter McDonnell (21)

Gary Christopher Church (19)

Alan McGlone (28)

Joseph Clark (29)

Keith McGrath (17)

Paul Clark (18)

Paul Brian Murray (14)

Gary Collins (22)

Lee Nicol (14)

Stephen Paul Copoc (20)

Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)

Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23)

Jonathon Owens (18)

James Philip Delaney (19)

William Roy Pemberton (23)

Christopher Barry Devonside (18)

Carl William Rimmer (21)

Christopher Edwards (29)

David George Rimmer (38)

Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34)

Graham John Roberts (24)

Thomas Steven Fox (21)

Steven Joseph Robinson (17)

Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10)

Henry Charles Rogers (17)

Barry Glover (27)

Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)

Ian Thomas Glover (20)

Inger Shah (38)

Derrick George Godwin (24)

Paula Ann Smith (26)

Roy Harry Hamilton (34)

Adam Edward Spearritt (14)

Philip Hammond (14)

Philip John Steele (15)

Eric Hankin (33)

David Leonard Thomas (23)

Gary Harrison (27)

Patrik John Thompson (35)

Stephen Francis Harrison (31)

Peter Reuben Thompson (30)

Peter Andrew Harrison (15)

Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)

David Hawley (39)

Peter Francis Tootle (21)

James Robert Hennessy (29)

Christopher James Traynor (26)

Paul Anthony Hewitson (26)

Martin Kevin Traynor (16)

Carl Darren Hewitt (17)

Kevin Tyrrell (15)

Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16)

Colin Wafer (19)

Sarah Louise Hicks (19)

Ian David Whelan (19)

Victoria Jane Hicks (15)

Martin Kenneth Wild (29)

Gordon Rodney Horn (20)

Kevin Daniel Williams (15)

Arthur Horrocks (41)

Graham John Wright (17)

neverforgotten5gk.png

For more information on the Hillsborough disaster please visit http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

Justice for the 96.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Just got back before from the memorial service.

I had tears in my eyes most of the way through the service, and completely broke down when we sung YNWA :(

Amazing memorial service, and a great turn out.

What exactly do you consider 'justice for the 96'?

While I agree that it was a horrible accident, it was just that, an accident.

When you use the term 'justice', it should be for a crime.

Sorry, just when I've popped into this thread (or your posts) it always pops out at me.

What exactly do you consider 'justice for the 96'?

While I agree that it was a horrible accident, it was just that, an accident.

When you use the term 'justice', it should be for a crime.

Sorry, just when I've popped into this thread (or your posts) it always pops out at me.

Who has been held accountable for the 'accident'?

The Lord Justice Taylor report concluded that the disaster occurred due a failure of police control. No one has been held accountable over the avoidable deaths of 96 people, no one has been prosecuted, and this is the justice the families of the dead and everyone else is fighting for.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions then just ask. This is also a great read :)

Who has been held accountable for the 'accident'?

The Lord Justice Taylor report concluded that the disaster occurred due a failure of police control. No one has been held accountable over the avoidable deaths of 96 people, no one has been prosecuted, and this is the justice the families of the dead and everyone else is fighting for.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions then just ask. This is also a great read :)

What do you want to do? Throw some poor officer in jail? An officer that this event probably ruined his life anyway? That doesn't make any sense. It was a mistake, and a horrible tragedy. But throwing him in jail solves nothing, and brings no 'justice' to anyone.

What do you want to do? Throw some poor officer in jail? An officer that this event probably ruined his life anyway? That doesn't make any sense. It was a mistake, and a horrible tragedy. But throwing him in jail solves nothing, and brings no 'justice' to anyone.

The whole idea is not to throw 'some poor officer in jail' to be honest with you mate.

It is more about finding justice for the 96 people who have died. People lost sons, daughters, mothers and fathers in the disaster. Yes, there was an inquiry, but a lot of things still remain unclear.

CCTV videos were stolen from the ground, police statements were altered. The inquest ruled that all that died on that fateful day would have done so by 3:15, meaning the matter as to why twenty ambulances were kept outside the stadium and not let onto the pitch would not be investigated. This ruling was incorrect, the one paramedic on the pitch in his one ambulance confirmed that people were still alive at 15:40, but this matter still goes uninvestigated.

The families of the dead have not been served justice in that sense, they deserve to know how their sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers or sisters died.

Read the link in Martyn's sig, it is certainly eye opening. I have supported Liverpool myself since I was pretty young, and I had no idea just how bad it was till I read that article, but think about it this way...

If someone you loved died in a needless way, wouldn't you want justice for them? The simple fact is that the police at the ground made many mistakes, and the police and the government have been covering for each other ever since. Even someone coming forward and saying "We messed up, and we are deeply sorry" would be a good start.

When people die because of mistakes made by other people, said people need to be held accountable for their mistakes, but the fact that not one person from authority has ever admitted any failings is what makes this part of history so hard to take for Liverpool and their fans.

And yes, deep down I am sure that the officers involved will have a burden that will last for the rest of their lives, but for me until someone admits wrongdoing at the least, Hillsborough will never truly be layed to rest.

As a part time job I work as a Football Safety Steward and have met quite a few of the survivors from that day and you can still tell its really hard for them to talk about it. A tragedy that changed the world of sport and should never be forgotten.

Yeah I noticed how hard it is for them watching the various Hillsborough documentaries that where doing the rounds. I feel bad for the survivors as much as the victims because they have to live with the horrors of that day for the rest of their lives.

At least if anything though football was made infinitely safer for spectators using the lessons learnt, so if any positive can be taken, that is it.

A Liverpool footballer has been suspended after claims he behaved inappropriately during the Hillsborough memorial service.

Reserve goalkeeper Charles Itandje is seen smiling and nudging a team-mate in footage of the service held to remember the 96 fans killed in the 1989 tragedy.

About 30,000 supporters, players past and present and families of survivors attended the service at Anfield.

Itandje has been suspended for 14 days while the club probes the allegations.

The footage of the French goalkeeper, who was sitting in the Kop with fellow players, behind families of the victims, is being circulated on the internet.

Damian Plessis, a Liverpool reserve midfielder who is also from France, is shown not to react as he is nudged by Itandje.

Itandje was told by Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez not to attend training on Friday.

A Liverpool spokesman confirmed: "Charles Itandje has now been officially suspended for 14 days by the club while we investigate his conduct during the Hillsborough Memorial Service."

Les Lawson, secretary of the Merseyside branch of the official Liverpool Supporters' Club, said: "I think he should be sacked.

"There is no excuse for not showing respect to the 96 supporters.

"It was a sombre occasion and for him to do what he was doing was a total and utter disgrace.

"It's good that Liverpool Football Club have acted quickly and suspended him but I don't think he should ever set foot in the club again."

The 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death during Liverpool's FA Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest on 15 April 1989.

Many fans have written comments branding Itandje disrespectful, immature and insensitive or have called for him to be sacked or sold.

One comment on the popular lfcreds.com site said: "Hillsborough is a very meaningful and important event for Liverpool, the families of the victims, the club, the team and the people of Liverpool.

"If Itandje really did that, then he has no respect."

Itandje signed for Liverpool in August 2007 and made his first team debut the following month, but has not played for the first team this season.

He was placed on the club's transfer list last summer.

Margaret Aspinall, who lost her 18-year-old son James in the stadium disaster and is vice chair of the Hillsborough Families Support Group, said: "I'm sure the club will investigate it properly."

Source and Video

All I can say is, disgraceful.

I don't mean any disrespect but what exactly happened at this "disaster"? From my understanding it was hundreds of soccer hooligans trying to force themselves onto the soccer stadium. The fact that those people that were crushed by "survivors" I find insulting in a way because you label a person a "survivor" that probably at the time would of said "People are being crushed up front... who cares, keep on pushing". These "survivors" should be called criminals, cause its their fault that this occured, its everyones fault that this occured.

Justice?

There was an accident and a formal inquiry into what happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Report

That report pointed out some areas of blame and made suggestions to try and prevent this sort of thing from happening again. New regulations were added to the affected football leagues.

The system worked. End of story.

I don't understand how you can have justice? Mistakes were made by the police and possibly by the emergency personnel. Was it intentional? Was it premeditated? Was it criminally negligent? No, no and no.

There can be no justice because there was no crime. It was an accident.

Looks like the song got to 16th in the UK top 40, and 9th in the iTunes album chart. Not overly bad at all.

Indeed, an excellent achievement. HMV in Liverpool sold out really quickly, and if it was not for their ineptitude in terms of stocking the CD, then perhaps the single would have gotten even higher in the chart.

As a part time job I work as a Football Safety Steward and have met quite a few of the survivors from that day and you can still tell its really hard for them to talk about it. A tragedy that changed the world of sport and should never be forgotten.

Very true. A number of suicides were attributed to the Hillsborough Disaster. Only last week I was speaking to a survivor of the disaster, and he still cannot speak about it without tears coming to his eyes. Every year a number of survivors are approached by the likes of the BBC, Sky and ITV for interviews, but many refuse due to the difficulty of speaking of what they saw on that day.

Trevor Hicks lost both his daughters on that day, can you imagine what he has been through?

I don't mean any disrespect but what exactly happened at this "disaster"? From my understanding it was hundreds of soccer hooligans trying to force themselves onto the soccer stadium. The fact that those people that were crushed by "survivors" I find insulting in a way because you label a person a "survivor" that probably at the time would of said "People are being crushed up front... who cares, keep on pushing". These "survivors" should be called criminals, cause its their fault that this occured, its everyones fault that this occured.

I know you do not mean any disrespect, but that is a typical ignorant opinion from the uneducated.

Football hooligism had nothing to do with the disaster, The S*n was the newspaper that spread such lies which have since been heavily disproved and is the reason why The S*n is boycotted in Liverpool.

Please give this a read to help you understand what happened on the day and afterwards http://downloads.hfdinfo.com/8HFDCombined.pdf

Justice?

There was an accident and a formal inquiry into what happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Report

That report pointed out some areas of blame and made suggestions to try and prevent this sort of thing from happening again. New regulations were added to the affected football leagues.

The system worked. End of story.

I don't understand how you can have justice? Mistakes were made by the police and possibly by the emergency personnel. Was it intentional? Was it premeditated? Was it criminally negligent? No, no and no.

There can be no justice because there was no crime. It was an accident.

The Lord Justice Taylor report is not the be all and end all Fred.

The coroner ruled that everyone would have died by 3:15. However, there are eye witnesses and even a paramedic that confirmed people were alive at 3:40.

The 3:15 cut off is VERY important, because it means all evidence after that time would be discounted for the inquiry.

Improvements were made to stadia, there is no denying that the chances of another Hillsborough happening in the UK again are very slim, but that is not the be all and end all of the justice campaign.

Read this, and it should help you to understand the campaign for justice http://downloads.hfdinfo.com/8HFDCombined.pdf

too many people isn't much of a disaster. anyone in their rightful mind as a spectator would have been able to tell that if they couldn't then that's quite lethargic. Too many people not enough room = people going to get trampled and owned. 2+2=4. Justice is their lack of judgment. Yeah fair enough emergency services after a pile of people got owned was poor but still it's not a disaster. The blame can't be put on police for leaving the gate open or whatever it's on the people who didn't walk in there and go oh no room lets go home and watch on tv and instead pushed and shoved and jammed in

too many people isn't much of a disaster. anyone in their rightful mind as a spectator would have been able to tell that if they couldn't then that's quite lethargic. Too many people not enough room = people going to get trampled and owned. 2+2=4. Justice is their lack of judgment. Yeah fair enough emergency services after a pile of people got owned was poor but still it's not a disaster. The blame can't be put on police for leaving the gate open or whatever it's on the people who didn't walk in there and go oh no room lets go home and watch on tv and instead pushed and shoved and jammed in

More offensive ignorance. "People got owned"? People died, have a word with yourself you idiot.

You obviously don't know anything about the disaster if you think people just thought "oh that looks busy, lets go in there".

I really wish people would read the links I posted to actually learn what happened before posting offensive and ignorant **** like this.

More offensive ignorance. "People got owned"? People died, have a word with yourself you idiot.

You obviously don't know anything about the disaster if you think people just thought "oh that looks busy, lets go in there".

I really wish people would read the links I posted to actually learn what happened before posting offensive and ignorant **** like this.

Dude don't let my 'ignorance' offend you personally. I'm just speaking about what i've seen (i've been to the link in your signature, hardly informative) and if you wish to prove me wrong otherwise i'm all ears but calling me ignorant just like it appears to me the people who participated in this 'disaster' were isn't going to do much.

Dude don't let my 'ignorance' offend you personally. I'm just speaking about what i've seen (i've been to the link in your signature, hardly informative) and if you wish to prove me wrong otherwise i'm all ears but calling me ignorant just like it appears to me the people who participated in this 'disaster' were isn't going to do much.

I don't like the way you said "people got owned". We are talking about the death of 96 innocent people here, some as young as 10 years old and over 40% of which were under the age of 20.

To be honest, the whole purpose of this thead is to educate people about the Hillsborough Disaster, and it is an appropriate time to do so as the 20th anniversary of it has just passed.

Honestly mate, I would love it if you read this document (http://downloads.hfdinfo.com/8HFDCombined.pdf) and then posted here again with your opinion. It is not a laborious read, it is clear and straight to the point.

I don't pretend to know everything about the Hillsborough Disaster, too much went on at the time for one person to know every detail, but I am trying to help educate people on the matter as that is the only way forward :)

Some of the comments that people here are making are just ridiculous, there are clear and evident displays of epic police cockups, lying by officials, and outright smear campaigns by ignorant sections of the press getting what happened at Heysel and Hillsborough mixed up.

And to the guy who quoted "hooliganism"... Stop reading the sun, and get your head in the real world. The police opened one of the exit gates to let fans into the ground, without closing off the central pens, despite knowing full well how full they where. If it was anyone but the police in question, the perpetrator of such an immense cockup would be held on charges of negligent manslaughter... Then there is the fact that the police tried to stop the trapped supporters getting onto the pitch, and the fact that the police wouldn't let most of the Ambulances waiting into the ground.

As for the comments about people getting "owned"... how the hell can anyone be so goddamm sick and disrespectful, they where football supporters going to watch a football match in peace, they didn't deserve to die, and there are too many bigoted idiots that can't look past the fact that they where Liverpool fans.

Seriously, go and educate yourselves before posting such hurtful and wrong comments.

And Fred, although the Taylor report helped make football safer, it is not a definitive account of what happened at Hillsborough, for starters Police Chief Duckworth has admitted that he lied, other police officers lied, and others still where put under duress to change their statements. A whole culture of lying by officials surrounds the Hillsborough, and it saddens me to see so many people chewing the Taylor report as a definitive version of what happened that day without doing any research about what happened.

Edited by Frank Fontaine

What's the "sun"? I got my information from the BBC.

I dunno how you can blame police for something that spectators did. Sure the police may have messed up, but its up to the individuals (spectators) to notice that it was full, but no, instead they decided to push and shove and continued to do so even after ambulance services showed up to remove those who died. So clearly, they knew that someone was injured/dead at the time and they continued to push and shove. So don't blame the police for the stupidity of the "survivors".

By your logic I can go to the next major public event and start pushing and shoving, hell even stabbing people, and then blame the cops because they didn't stop me.

BTW, May the victims R.I.P., ironic that the "victims" who caused your death are now mourning you.

I am ignorant of the tragedy. It was 89, I was 4yrs old and not in the country, but reading about what happen, this is the impression of the events that I am getting.