My AAXA P1 Pico Projector Review

Hi, long term lurker, thought I would finally contribute something to this site. I noticed someone asked a question about the new pico projectors that have hit the market.

Just so happens I just received my AAXA P1 Pico projector ($249 www.amazon.com) last week. After taking it to lecture a lot of my friends were surprised something like this even existed!

For those that don't know, a "pico" projector is basically a micro projector powered by batteries and can fit in your hand (or pocket).

My particular projector was manufactured by AAXA Technologies (www.aaxatech.com) has 12 lumens, 640x480 resolution, and has a built-in mp4 player. I looked at the Optoma and 3M projectors, but the Optoma projector only has 480x320 resolution and the 3M projector didn't have a media player (and both cost like $100 more) so I decided to go with the AAXA P1 projector. There's a couple of other ones on the market too, but I didn't find any reviews about them so didn't really have anythign to go on. The microvision one looks cool, but so far I can't tell if it even exists, and the Samsung one is like $600...

The 12 lumens isn't really bright enough to use in daylight or bright areas, in a bright lecture hall it was only good for 15" images. But don't be scared away by only 12 lumens - in a darker room however, this projector really shines! I can get images way bigger than my 47" LCD TV in our apartment with the blinds shut.

I have been watching a lot of videos on the ceiling at night which is fantastic. This unit also has an onboard memory of 1GB and accepts micro SD cards, and unlike my annoying PSP it plays multiple video formats, so you can pretty much download anything online and play it. Here's me watching the Office in 50"+ sizes at night.

Best thing is this projector fits in the palm of your hand, and at $240 (price of an Ipod) it's truly a bargain for this type of technology. Only downside is that the onboard speaker is pretty weak, so if you and a few of your friends are watching you have to crank it all the way up which tends to distort the audio. Headphones is the way to go, however. Oh did I mention it's also a great companion with the Iphone (comes with dedicated Iphone cable)?

Anyways, overall I think this projector is a great deal - especially for freshman - I really wish I had one of these in my dorm room instead of my crappy 22" LCD TV.... :)

post-288750-1239681801.jpg

post-288750-1239681848.jpg

post-288750-1239681897.jpg

post-288750-1239682552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lightning22

Does it have any input/output plugs?

If so, what does a fast motion movie or game look like?

I'm guessing if it does have input, it would only be in SD, and have some form of streaking/tearing.

Yes, it has Ipod / Iphone, PSP, RCA, Zune, and computer input cables. I only bought the Ipod / IPhone one though. It's pretty smooth in terms of video, I can't really tell the difference between regular TV and the projector although I do notice fast motion is a bit blurrier... I found a video online with it playing videos I guess you can judge for yourself?

Been tempted to grab one of these... Am a mobile karaoke DJ, and sometimes you turn up to a venue that has said "Yes we have a screen to plug into" and it's some old 15" TV... One of these shone onto a wall would probably be better!