.doc's on Linux?

I was wondering if there's a program for linux that can make .doc's so I can view then on windows, short of using wine and office? On second thought, I am almost cetain there is... But what is it? :p Ya, know something? Right at this moment as I type this, I'm (once again) almost certain that I've seen a thread where things like this go, and I'de be ever so happy if a mod moved it there. ;)

you can use openoffice, comes with most popular distros nowadays. also look for abiword or something like koffice...

openOffice with AA fonts == perfect replacement of MSOffice for MOST of your needs.

How can I get OpenOffice (1.0.3 or 1.1 beta) to have AA fonts? It looked great in Red Hat 8, but I'm afraid I don't know how to get them under my emerged build of OpenOffice.

really easy man...I emerged it just the other day too.

from console type "oopadmin" and you'll see the wizard.

p.s: I am not at home right now, otherwise I'd check the command...just type oo and press tab you'll see it there.

I already fell in the love with AbiWord 2 (1.9.0), it's damn fast as M$ Office.. But, it doesn't has the grammar check like M$ Office has, which it's on their todo list.