[PHP] Retrieving data from an XML tag when there is a colon

Question

Now, I know my latest threads asking for help really are starting to make me sound pretty stupid :p but, yet again, I am stumped :s

I can't talk about this too much as coursemates who know I moderate Neowin may steal ideas off me ;) I will try and give as much information as possible though :)

Firstly, I am retrieving data from an XML file, in order to output and use that data for other means (eventually showing the location on a Google Map, using the Google Maps API). This has all worked out very well and I have got all of the information, including the location, from the XML file. The only problem is, I cannot get the latitude and longitude data. Both the latitude and longitude have colons in the tag names - "geo:lat" and "geo:long".

The way I have been retrieving this data works for everything except these XML tags which have colons - it puts a red squiggly line under it in Komodo Edit and says there is a parse error.

I find it odd because my process works for every tag which doesn't have a colon.

I'm not going to explain how I have parsed this XML document or retrieved the data from the document, unless I need to, because I don't want coursemates stealing ideas ;) Let's just say, it definately works because it has worked for all of the tags without colons.

I'm looking for a way to maybe escape the colons, or just anything which will work. I've tried creating a variable and assignment a colon to that, then using the variable in between "geo" and "lat" and I've tried using the str_replace() function, but that doesn't seem to work.

Here is the problem -

.$record -> venue -> location -> city.

is working

.$record -> venue -> location -> geo:point -> geo:lat.

is not working and I know it's the colons which are causing the problem as it works if I take them out (I can't just take them out though as that is not what they are called in the XML file)

Here is the XML file I am retrieving the data from.

Any help really would be very much appreciated :) Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question