[Editorial] PS3 Trophies and how they underachieve

Aren't there gamercards where you can see x,xxx / xx,xxxx score? Isn't that the same thing?

And besides, isn't that part of the point.. bronze trophies for completing a level "on any difficulty", or a 15 pt. achievement.. aren't those both "cheap"? Multiplatform games have the exact same "rewards" for both systems, why is gaining a minimal amount of points or getting a bronze any different from each other? You know your own score.

Silver, gold, and especially platinum trophies are a challenge and take effort, same as 100pt. achievements. People who play games to play them and don't want to grind through looking for every package, getting 10,000 kills, blah blah blah, probably aren't going to care whether or not it's a bronze or not.

The difference is that with a MS gamercard you get a score. That's it.

In your sig above I can see your level, and at the same time I can immediately see how you got to that level.

Fact of the matter is the people who care about achievements and trophies don't give a damn if it's cheap, in fact, they'll love that. All that matters is the overall score/how many people they're beating and for some how many games they have at 100%.

To try and put trophies down for showing you how many lesser achievements you have is stupid. EVERYONE will have more "lesser" achievements than the harder achievements. Games are typically full of the easier achievements, and contain a couple of harder ones.

It has to be that way or hardly anyone would feel "rewarded" as you'd only see "Trophy/Achievement" unlocked like once or twice per game, instead of multiple times (unless you're actively trying to get unlocks).

Absolutely no PS3 trophy ###### is going to have more platinums/golds than bronzes. In fact it's probably impossible to have more silvers as well, look at the ratios for the trophy ###### on Neowin. Absolutely everyone has more bronzes, so okay I guess we're all peasants :laugh:

I dare not even show my crappy Trophy level, think im at like 6 or something.

The difference is that with a MS gamercard you get a score. That's it.

In your sig above I can see your level, and at the same time I can immediately see how you got to that level.

I guess what I'm saying is, that's what PS3 users like about the trophy system, at least those that care about the trophies themselves. That was actually one of the initial selling points.

Fact of the matter is the people who care about achievements and trophies don't give a damn if it's cheap, in fact, they'll love that. All that matters is the overall score/how many people they're beating and for some how many games they have at 100%.

To try and put trophies down for showing you how many lesser achievements you have is stupid. EVERYONE will have more "lesser" achievements than the harder achievements. Games are typically full of the easier achievements, and contain a couple of harder ones.

It has to be that way or hardly anyone would feel "rewarded" as you'd only see "Trophy/Achievement" unlocked like once or twice per game, instead of multiple times (unless you're actively trying to get unlocks).

Absolutely no PS3 trophy ###### is going to have more platinums/golds than bronzes. In fact it's probably impossible to have more silvers as well, look at the ratios for the trophy ###### on Neowin. Absolutely everyone has more bronzes, so okay I guess we're all peasants :laugh:

I dare not even show my crappy Trophy level, think im at like 6 or something.

I couldn't care less about them, I'm just saying they're different and explained why I think they're different to the 360 Gamerscore.

And about the Bronze, you obviously understood I was talking about the ratio, not that everyone should have more Platinums than Silver or anything like that.

I actually think the bronze/silver/gold/platinum system is better, as the differences between achievements are more clearly defined that way.

Of course lots of bronzes means you've played a lot of games, just pay attention to the number of golds and platinums one has. That's a clearer sign of what sort of gamer they are I think. You'll typically get one easy gold per retail game for finishing the story, but that's it.

[4 day bump]

I've been getting GTA4's trophies lately, and I have to admit, I've noticed that the 360 achievements are much better in regards to what reward you get for each one, as they aren't limited to 3 set point scores. I've seen bronzes that aren't quite silvers, but are much more point worthy than other bronzes.

[4 day bump]

I've been getting GTA4's trophies lately, and I have to admit, I've noticed that the 360 achievements are much better in regards to what reward you get for each one, as they aren't limited to 3 set point scores. I've seen bronzes that aren't quite silvers, but are much more point worthy than other bronzes.

That's because everything in the range of 5 - 30 pts. is a bronze. But the achievements/trophies themselves are the exact same. The only real out of place bronze is "Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic", which itself is only 30 pts.

On the flip side, beating the final mission on PS3 is a silver, it's 60pts. on XB360. Liberty City Minute is gold on PS3, but only 30 pts. on XB360. Odd, that.