ASP VS PHP

Question

Is ASP and PHP about the same or is there a big advantage over each other?

Most companies want web developers with ASP...

ASP and PHP use the same database sql right? is sql same as mysql?

Sorry if im not understandable, its 2:30am and im dead tired, heading to bed in a few mins.

17 answers to this question

ASP is more corporate, PHP is more for small/medium size operations. That doesn't mean there aren't cases of large corporations use PHP (Yahoo, Lycos), but that's generally how things work.

ASP costs more to implement, PHP costs less. As for speed, it's arguable depending on what you want to do. I just say they're even...

SQL is a language for database interaction. MySQL is just a database that implements a SQL interface. You write up queries in SQL and get the data you need that way.

also, php is alot more compatible with different browsers than asp is... :p

both languages are server-sided, so the browser just gets pure HTML.

but in generally, you can say most PHP programmers code proper HTML since they know there are standards ;)

I have played with ASP.NET and I must say it's very nice. When, PHP5 releases and it will be back equal to the ASP.NET. I have played with the PHP5 development version and it's very nice with the new OOP, but there have some strange bugs of memory leak with Apache.

ASP does better job on Windows than PHP does.

PHP does better job on *nix than ASP does.

ASP rocks when it's on Windows, PHP rocks when it's on *nix. But, I like to code in PHP better, which it's my personal prefer.

It's really apple and orange.

also, php is alot more compatible with different browsers than asp is... :p

php as a scripting language generally has more cross platform web server installers

than asp. asp generally only comes with microsoft IIS, on microsoft platforms (though chillisoft can be used). php has installers for linux, unix, win32, and solaris I believe. It will work with a number of pieces of web serving software.

as a language, I find PHP much better suited for creating dynamic web sites or applications.

it was basically built from ground up as a web scripting language, so, the creators have done

a lot of things to make it's use as a programmer doing common 'web scripting' things easier or

less painful... whereas asp is basically a vbscript twist towards doing web stuff. also, as I mentioned, your code can be a little more portable..(say, if you have something on a win32 test server and have to move it to a unix based hosting service)

again, as a few people here said, depends on the environment you work in. if you're a linux/unix based all apache org, you're probably going to be using php or perl. if you run all microsoft, it's just easier to write asp, than to be installing a php interpreter on all your web servers.

right?

as for browser compatible, if you're into writing non-standard html code, it don't matter what server side scripting language is being used, as someone mentioned.

rabidFan has basically said what it is that makes the 2 different.

I would agree that if you want to be a web designer or a network/internet manager or the like you should learn both.

Learning both will give you the edge and will allow you to consult or design websites when budget is a consern or the host server needs to be Linux or transferable to other platforms.

There is also j2ee, CFM and something else... can't remeber. But those are not as important as ASP and PHP

Not sure if this adds anything to the conversation but... I use ASP at work on nice big in-house IIS servers.

When I am coding my own site where cost is a consideration I use PHP.

I can accomplish most tasks equally well in each. I'd say it really a prefernce/cost issue.

Let me put it to you this way. I use asp and I make 200,000 + a year. Use what you like, but the money is with asp.

ASP vs PHP is fairly even although I will give the nod to ASP because of the superior server technologies on the windows platform... Its very close though. And depending on your environment could go either way. Also ASP has a variety of languages that you can use. PHP you are stuck with PHP.

ASP.net is hands down the winner. If you don't know anything and are just starting out I would recommend ASP.net. The class libraries are incredible and it is compiled code which equates to superior performance. ASP.net easily outperforms anything that has come before it. Plus it makes a lot of things much easier to accomplish programming wise.

HTH,

RedAvenger

kudos to vinh (warcraft 3 rules!) for making this thread. thanks for all the info guys, i've been wondering too, since i have only used asp before. i know neowin is run with php, and a lot of the code that the programmers here share is php. because of this, i've wanted to possibly start learning php, but i'm losing interest in the programming field in general. still lots of fun for me, just that i'd rather do other things like networking.

edit: i know asp can use vb and javascript, and asp.net can use any language that runs on .net, but i was wondering, could php be run somehow inside an asp script? not sure why anyone would ever use this, but i just wanna know if it's possible, features-wise.

asp and php are almost irrelevent today. The only two that matter anymore are JSP and ASP.net. ASP.net is more like jsp than asp. The big difference is JSP is open source and runs on any platform...

can i run asp on apache ?

Yes it can.

http://www.chilisoft.com/

And neither ASP or PHP is more compatable with web-browsers... that's like saying images made in Photoshop are more compatable with high-resolution then images made in Fireworks. No web browsers know how to parse ASP OR PHP. It's all done server side, so once it's set up it works with everyone.

Well I am going to be looking to hire some people here in the short future. Will post back later...

If any of you guys are looking for summer work, check out asp.net and send me a resume.

Peace,

RedAvenger