Why do some brand new DVDs end up scratched?

Sorry, if this may be a stupid question, but this problem has happened to me a number of times. I just bought Season 2 of "24" at Costco for $20 and I was so happy I got it for a cheap price. I take it home and open the package and was very happy to discover that none of the discs were dislodged. I took out Disc 1 and low and behold there were TONS of terrible scratches on the disc. I tried testing it and the last half of episode 4 would not play on any of my players, not even my Sony one (which supposedly has a Precision Drive which can read through most scratches). So, now I have to go back and return it. I have no idea how Costco handles returns on opened DVDs as I've never had to return a DVD over there before. All I know is that they better not give me a hard time about it.

What shocks me is that this set is BRAND NEW and all discs were perfectly fastened on the hub of the case. So, how is it possible that brand new DVDs end up scratched?

Oh, and this seems to mostly happen with TV show sets. It rarely happens when I buy an individual movie.

It's probably just bad manufacturing. If they're stored in a cold warehouse for a while I'm assuming they'll succumb to the effects. Or it might just be bad straight from the press.

But what exactly scratches the disc? It was never opened before and no one has used it. That's what puzzles me.

It more than likely happens during transport and when the DVDs get to the shop the staff shake them back into place. Used to happen all the time when I hade a Video store. The new DVDs would come in and we would have to shake them around in the case to get them back into place...

It more than likely happens during transport and when the DVDs get to the shop the staff shake them back into place. Used to happen all the time when I hade a Video store. The new DVDs would come in and we would have to shake them around in the case to get them back into place...

That's kind of hard to do as you have to push the DVD down to snap it back in. But I guess if you've worked in a video store and have actually done that before, then maybe there is a way.

That's kind of hard to do as you have to push the DVD down to snap it back in.

DVD cases are fairly soft. It's not really that much harder at all to snap it back in while in the case.

Take it back and complain... they'll probably replace it.

I was researching about Costco's return policy and it looks like they give a full refund if you return the item within 90 days of purchase!! Wow! That's a long time. And the refund includes opened DVDs. Interesting. I guess I'll find out tomorrow for sure when I go there to return the DVD. I never thought there was actually a place that gives refunds on opened merchandise, especially DVDs.