Mandrake Linux 8.1 Beta 1

Hey I Burned it and now I got one major problem. The cdrom.img in the D:images is only 0 bytes. So I can not use the create boot disk thing cause nothing happens when you click write. Please I really would like to see this seeing how I have never seen it before. I believe that this file is my problem. Think its a bad file so if anyone has the good one please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Will

wow...........

that looks really good, gonna get it

cheers

[edit]Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta for i586 and higher............

do i need to get 1586 iso b4 gettin mandrake then??

which one

MandrakeFreq-20010810-ext.i586.iso

or

MandrakeFreq-20010810-inst.i586.iso??[/edit]

war59312, fear not! I have the same with my Linux-Mandrake 8.0 freq Traktopel-Freq1-i586 I installed it fine, without a problem!

If your BIOS can boot from the CDROM and you want to perform a standard installation of Linux-Mandrake (not using Lnx4Win), you can also set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM before searching the hard disk. Look for Boot sequence in the BIOS features setup.

the above, taken from mandrake install guide chapter 3

after the changes made in bios, pop in your mandrake cd and reboot. you will get the installation screen..and from there Good Luck!

I have tried Linux-Mandrake 8.0. Toyed with it on my system for about 3 or 4 days, but got decided to leave it out of my final system layout (misc complications...). I'll stick with Windows, (WinME/2k dualboot) thanks. :cool: Maybe some day I will give Linux another shot, but...not today

LiGhTfast;

download Linux Mandrake 8.1 Beta

knock yourself out!:p

-kintamanate

• 2 weeks later...

That Linux site takes AGES to load... it won't load at all for me, I only get a "Connection Timed Out". :( - I would love to see some screenshots [and maybe even try out] Linux.

Grrrrrrr.... it makes me SO mad... :(

-mortensenj

I've heard a lot about linux, but can some explain to me indepth what it is, advantages disadvantages, andd if I wanted to install if could i just partition my hardrive? If so would it conflict with windows?

Originally posted by man4theladys

I've heard a lot about linux, but can some explain to me indepth what it is, advantages disadvantages, andd if I wanted to install if could i just partition my hardrive? If so would it conflict with windows?

Yes, you can partition your hard drive with Linux-Mandrake 8.0 without conflicting Windows! I would recommend using the LILO at boot so you can choose whether to boot between Linux and Windows! Its advantages are :

1. It's more stable than W2K!

2. You can do a heck of a lot more customization than in Windows 9x!

3. It comes with a hectic amount of applications, but make sure you clear at least 5 GB (for the Standard Edition) or 10 GB (for the PowerPack) so you can have enough space to install them all!

4. You can still access Windows files and you can even install Windows fonts!

5. It comes with 11 graphical environments!

6. So many other advantages that it's impossible to tell you, so find out for yourself!

However, there are a couple of disadvantages :

1. You can't read the EXT2 partitions in Windows.

2. It doesn't support Winmodems nor USB devices!

If you have any questions on Linux, ICQ me!

I would recommend using the LILO at boot so you can choose whether to boot between Linux and Windows!
Loadlin is your alternative.. It allow you to boot into linux from dos prompt using the kernel image file you've copied into your FAT32 partition. loadlin will not interfere your MBR or whatsoever, so in my opinion, it's safer..
3. It comes with a hectic amount of applications, but make sure you clear at least 5 GB (for the Standard Edition) or 10 GB (for the PowerPack) so you can have enough space to install them all!
WHAT?!?!!?!?!!!

Disadvantage: ofcause.. You need to be patient and learn how things work. How do you learn them? There're documentation attach with every (i've never seen linux's software without docs.. lol) software. If you have any problem using command or whatever, there's always 'man' to help you out. Make sure you install 'man' ;) http://www.linuxdoc.org