Need a suggestion on post workout nutrition

I know that this may not be the best place to ask this sort of question but I have read through similar topics and there seems to be several members who are knowledgeable on the topic.

I play alot of tennis, football, etc. And I know that your supposed to eat within 45 mins after the conclusion of your workout. The problem is that a lot of times this isn't and option for me. I was wondering if a whey protein shake or something similar would be a good subsitute. I'm wanting something for my post workout recovery/muscle soreness. Any brand names or options would be helpful.

Thank you.

chocolate milk (Y) cheaper than supplements and contains everything your body is needs after a workout and it tastes greeeat

i believe chocolate milk, not the mix or whatever has both whey and casein. if you're "serious" about muscle building you can add powdered whey mix into it to increase the protein content. you need carbs and protein after working out to help repair and rebuild damaged muscle tissue. the carbs help restore glycogen stores that get used up during resistance training.

there's not much you can do about muscle soreness, it does ease up after you get stronger and start exercising regularly

Edited by Co_Co

It's not really muscle building I'm into, it's the recovery between games, etc. Is what I'm looking for. I always drink Gatorade during activities, but I'm looking for something post activity to boost recovery. Chocolate milk sounds good, it's just keeping it down so soon after exertion that may the the problem.

There isn't anything you can take after exercising that will magically alleviate muscle soreness. The best thing you can do is have some protein and carbs, and stretch. Protein shakes and "powerbar"-type nutrition bars are best for at the gym or on the field re-fueling. I usually aim for having them within 30 minutes of a session. I also find it helpful to do light, but thorough, stretching after a game or lifting.

Don't forget that it is possible to overwork your muscles. You may be causing yourself undo stress and injury if you're trying to do too much within a short amount of time. Wait the proper amount of time between exercising muscle groups and get enough sleep so that your body can properly recover. That should also help with overall soreness, as you get more conditioned.