A good place as any to ask why...

First, I wasnt sure where to post this..since this is a game problem I decided to come here.

-I've got freshly formatted computer, WinME/2k partition

1.1ghz Tbird, 64mb video card (geforce2), 20gb free on drive where games installed. 384mb RAM. I have installed latest drivers, for video card.

problem: I got the game Max Payne the other day, loaded it up. go through the into, but *just* 10 seconds into the game..freeze. cant move mouse ctrl+alt+del has no effect..only thing that unfreezes is cold reboot. I dont understand..according to the box, I meet all the requirements, what else could be the problem?

(Also tried demo's of Robot Arena[managed to stay w/out freezing for about 10 minutes, cant quite manage to finish a match though..], X-Com Enforcer[about 5-10 minutes]):( Happens on both winME/2k

Does Anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening? Or how it can be fixed?

-Thanks

-Kintamanate

the latest drivers arent always the best tbh, none of the geforce2 drivers i have used seem to be crash proof, try some older drivers i suppose..... mine always crashes at odd moments, nothing prevokes it it just freezes if im lucky i can get back in to windows without a restart

max payne has had a patch that fixed many crashing bugs i belive, might help you

Thanks again, for the helpful replies. First tried to patch it...(didnt help :(). Then uninstalled all video drivers, and gave it a second installation maybe missed something, or wrong driver or wrong chipset??. Anyways, reverting back worked great..stayed up to 4am playing Startopia!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you reinstall it? Try that!:) My Need for Speed High Stakes game had a problem simular, and i have a geforce2 also. a reinstall fixed the problem.

if this does not work, you could run scanreg and back it up to before you installed the new driver.:)

you'l get it to work if you work at it, but what's the rush? aren't you happy with quake III?