[E309] 'Trico' revealed as The Last Guardian

sony-e309-keynote-1202-rm-eng.jpg

Attendees at Sony's E3 keynote were treated to some quality kitty dragon time as Sony announced the real title for the Team ICO PS3 project: The Last Guardian. The presentation started off with old footage, but then it segued into gameplay footage which revealed stealth gameplay and kitty dragons.

Sure, the kitty dragons have already been revealed, but kitty dragons.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/02/trico-re...-last-guardian/

Posting a few topics just now, all these topics will be updated with more screens/impressions/videos as I find them. Think of them as semi "official" topics for each game.

Edited by Audioboxer

Old

2hi8o4k.gif

New

2rxbgjt.gif

Old

j65saa.gif

New

e17xwy.gif

Massive bump in lighting.

Trailer

(annoying ass sound buzz, but it's the best out so far)

I for the life of me cant work out what sort of game it is from that clip, but ill be damned if thats not the cutest dragon/largest creature ive seen since the flying carpet thing in the never ending story.

I for the life of me cant work out what sort of game it is from that clip, but ill be damned if thats not the cutest dragon/largest creature ive seen since the flying carpet thing in the never ending story.

Have you ever played ICO?

More screens

1414f8l.jpg

16iz9c4.jpg

11lnc7s.jpg

2mzie5j.gif

1z4winn.gif

Nerevr played ICO or SotC. :(

The dragon cat whatever thing looks really really nice in the latest video.

What?

You of all people KoL, that's unbelievable :laugh:

You did own a PS2 right? Play those games now.

What?

You of all people KoL, that's unbelievable :laugh:

You did own a PS2 right? Play those games now.

LOL yeah I know. I have my PS2 I guess I'll have to try them. :laugh::laugh:

I had a ps2 but never even heard of this 'ico' or 'trico' business. Makin me feel like im living in the dark ages :p

Looked awesome, really can't wait for this at all. :D

Seeing this was definitely one of the highlights of the whole of E3 for me. :D

The dragon cat whatever thing looks really really nice in the latest video.

You've never played ICO or SotC?

What is wrong with you? you use to be cool man. :p

You've never played ICO or SotC?

What is wrong with you? you use to be cool man. :p

You've never played God of War so... :laugh: :p

Jeez oh, you guys need to stop polluting this thread with your incredible levels of fail.

Not played ICO/SoTC, not played GoW?

Pffft.

:p

ah why couldnt someone have said SoTC=shadows of the Colossus....I had a brief foray with that game, although have still never heard of ico. Eitherway from what ive read of the those two titles I have a bit of an idea now and am kinda looking forward to this :D Thanks for quickly pointing me in the right direction google.

I got goosebumps watching this on the Sony keynote, Shadow of the Colossus is in my top 3 games of all time and this game alone is going to make me buy another PS3 just for the pleasure of playing it, the potential amount of situations and ways of using the creature just blows my mind.

Just watching the HD trailer again, it makes me want to reach into my screen and stroke it.

Does anyone know the song thats played in the trailer?

I want this game so bad.

Edited by Richard Hammond

I got goosebumps watching this on the Sony keynote, Shadow of the Colossus is in my top 3 games of all time and this game alone is going to make me buy another PS3 just for the pleasure of playing it, the potential amount of situations and ways of using the creature just blows my mind.

Just watching the HD trailer again, it makes me want to reach into my screen and stroke it.

Does anyone know the song thats played in the trailer?

I want this game so bad.

Millers Crossing theme song? -

People thought it was placeholder in the leaked internal prototype but as it features in the new trailer they must have licensed it. Awesome song to fit into this game (Y)

Details!

Quote: First, some naming issues. The game that eventually came to be known as The Last Guardian has been referred to by fans for some time now as "Trico," as it's the third project from the team that gained world attention with ICO on the PS2. You might also start hearing about the game by another name: "Hito Kui no Oowashi Toriko." That's the official Japanese name, as listed in Famitsu. It literally translates to "The Giant Man-Eating Eagle Toriko." More on the word "Toriko" in just a bit.

The "Oowashi," or "Giant Eagle," part of the title is what the development team uses to refer to the bird-like giant, Ueda told the magazine. Since Sony's American offices haven't shared official terminology for the creature, and since referring to it as "creature" is not particularly ideal, we're going to call it "eagle" for the time being.

According to Ueda, having a giant living creature was the first idea to emerge when creating the game. Ueda hoped to make the relationship between the player and Agro, the horse from Shadow of the Colossus, a bit more central to the game design this time.

As you might have guessed, players take control of the little boy from the trailer. The basic game design has the boy being young and thus weak and lacking abilities. The giant eagle makes up for these areas. As a young boy, the main character cannot rely on his strength to get past obstacles. However, perhaps he can overcome some trials by bringing the eagle with him.

Quote: Famitsu noted that the movements of the creature are extremely natural. Ueda explained this by recalling how he took care of not just dogs and cats in his childhood, but a variety of other animals as well, including monkeys and ducks. This gave him a sense for the motions of a variety of animals.

His childhood experience with animals also appears to have influenced his games in another way. You might have noticed how verbally quiet ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are. Ueda feels that this particular type of setting comes from the fact that animals don't speak.

Quote: There's a care aspect for the eagle as well. You can feed the eagle and remove spears and arrows that have pierced it. Ueda feels that the development staff will have to take care to strike a balance and make sure the care aspects do not becoming a chore.

Growth and stage puzzles are major elements to the game. There are platforming aspects as well -- you can climb, grab things and crawl.

The flow of the game is a bit of a mystery right now. Asked if your movement through the stages will be seamless, Ueda said that it's seamless as far as there being no load times as you move about. However, there is an order to the locations that you visit.

Quote: Also something to keep in mind as you work through the levels is that eagle's level of intellect isn't all that high (this is what Uedo said -- don't send nasty e-mails to us). It may not move according to your expectations. As an example, you may be able to clear an area if the eagle would just sit still. However, the eagle ends up moving.

Ueda's comments were even more vague on the onlne possibilities for the game. He would only say there are things they'd like to do with online, but that he could not say if it will be possible to realize them.

For this third project, Team ICO is making use of some advanced technology. Different from their past titles, they're using real physics. As an example of this, Ueda made note of a scene where the creature eats a barrel. This is not done with motion capture, but with actual physical calculations involving the barrel and the creature's mouth.

Quote: The staff is paying great attention to one particular environmental effect: wind. The wind determines how the eagle's feathers sway. Each feather is processed individually.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/990/990431p1.html

This game is definitely on my most anticipated list :yes: Looking at their previous releases, I'm certain I'll love this one as well.

Noticed this during the trailer

2qjyhaw.jpg

;)

Lots of screencaps from a trailer, slightly compressed

30cy6p5.png

2dmggoz.png

euppp4.png

5upq9l.png

15mh2yr.png

v6uq74.png

300b0ax.png

2w4fvy0.png

e5p9b8.png

2e6bsyr.png

eb4nx4.png

4lg67a.png

qp003t.png

2hiauxu.png

25khd37.png

2502iwn.png

25gvsbc.png

9sb3ag.png

15ebsrp.png

Dunno if this has been outlined before, sorry if it has, but it looks like the 'creature' has like gaps for horns on the top of his head, could this be a sign that it's some sort of weird descendant of Ico?