[UFC] Machida faces Rua in October

wtf was that? UFC is dead.

The UFC doesn't pick the judges or the refs the Californian State Athletic Commission does, after the fight Dana White even said Rua won. :shiftyninja:

That was a very disappointing fight. I'm sorry I paid to watch it, honestly. Shogun should have won but even his performance wasn't that great or convincing. Which is why he didn't officially win.

I'm a big Machida fan and I was very critical of Shogun being given the title shot after his performances so far on the UFC. But after that fight not only did he deserve to be there, he should have definitely walked out as LHW Champion. You could even tell from the body language the Shogun was the victor and Machida knew it to.

It's a silly rule that you have to beat the champion to win the title. Shogun quite clearly won the fight by

3 rounds to 2, some on the web are even saying 4 rounds to 1, but it seems the unofficially commission rules are that you have to T/KO or submit the champ to win.

Shogun was robbed, sure hope he gets the fair result in the rematch.

A Judge's Defense of Lyoto Machida at UFC 104

"First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

"When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua. Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favour, where as ununsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all. Therefore going by that criteria, I believe Lyoto won the fight clearly. I'm just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too."