Fast XP? - TinyXP alternative?

I want a fast-running XP. TinyXP (unattended, speed-optimized version of XP) is very fast but its not official Windows and has 'Windows Updates' disabled which is a bit silly.

What can I use to speed up XP a whole lot to TinyXP speeds?

Honestly? Nothing. I tried tweaking XP to be as fast but without any components ripped out, but it just didn't work out. The only way to disable some components is to take them out, so unless you want to manually remove files from your windows and the registry, there is no way to achieve the performance of highly nlited install.

Either ditch Automatic Updates or ditch Speed. Your Choice.

Automatic Updates are not necessary to run Windows and neither is XP being updated any more by Microsoft. Automatic Updates are useless pretty much.

Get nlite config file for MircoXP, install that instead of TinyXP - TinyXP ain't as optimized. Legally, I can't tell you more than that.

EDIT: Clarified.

Edited by Udedenkz

I've never noticed XP going slow unless it's on a slow system (low ram, cpu or old hdd).

If that's the case, you either need to upgrade, stop complaining, or use Windows 2000.

I prefer DIY optimisation. I don't lose updates or any official support from MS, and I get a fast(er) system by doing it. Take a look through some optimisation guides for some tips! (Y)

lol ill teach you a trick

install xp.. half way through pull out the cd

installation will finish, and will ask the last details

when you start xp it just has the bare minimum needed to run.. its about 100 or so megabytes.

No one is really worried about how much space XP uses up, on their minimum 250 Gig Hard drive (even a really old 20 Gig Hard drive is huge for Windows alone.

I've tweaked XP all over the place:

Services; startups and hidden startups

Default installed programs

Registry entries until the end of the world!

Pagefile; indexes; all updates off, you name it

This tweak tool, that tweak tool; to do a million other things

I even tried tiny xp, and further tweaked that as well

But you know what? When I did a default clean Windows install, without doing one thing, XP flew !

So I said to myself, that's it. I'm only doing the basics for now on (miscellaneous startups and services off)

You should try a clean install, you'll never look back.

Automatic Updates are not necessary to run Windows and neither is XP being updated any more by Microsoft. Automatic Updates are useless pretty much.

Not correct. Security updates will continue for XP until 2014

:blink: XP gets updates for 5 more years.

:blink: XP gets updates for 5 more years.
Not correct. Security updates will continue for XP until 2014

If you think they are important enough to actually keep automatic updates around, you might have to go with a normal XP install.

Dual booting can solve the problem, some tinyxp or microxp for gaming and photoshop, and some Vanilla XP with AU enabled and up to date.

If you think they are important enough to actually keep automatic updates around, you might have to go with a normal XP install.

Dual booting can solve the problem, some tinyxp or microxp for gaming and photoshop, and some Vanilla XP with AU enabled and up to date.

security updates help keep ur pc safe by patching vulnerable areas of the os so hello auto updates are handy but the service needs to be turned on to use it.