XBOX 360 drums on PC

hi Everyone,

this is a bit of a random topic but i thought it was best put here....

i've got a set of Xbox 360 Rock band drums.... but no x box.....

i have the thing to allow use of the 360 game pad for the PC which works fine...

i dont want to play any of the x box games, just use the drums to associate drum sounds to have a bit of a electronic drum kit.... has anyone heard of / done this? i'm sure that it would have been done in the past!

cheers

ed

WAIT

You are barking up the wrong tree here, but at least you're barking at a tree...

Look on the back of the drum kit... See that port? Looks a lot like a MIDI port huh?

When these kits kept going wrong, a little cable was released that took this MIDI port and terminated it into USB...

Just saying - you know :)

it's MIDI IN only as far as i'm aware, you can use a usb to midi cable to play the drums on the xbox via the PC but you can't use the drums on the pc because it's not MIDI OUT.

The USB cable on the drums MUST be MIDI out, surely? They connect to the 360 via USB, so just a USB->MIDI should let you use them on PC, I'd have thought.

nope it's MIDI IN, it can recieve MIDI commands (such as from the tuning software they release) but it doesn't transmit anything back.

(This is the case with the Guitar Hero: World Tour drums, I don't own the Rock Band ones but if they only have 1 MIDI port then it is more than likely to be MIDI IN only)

I don't know what you guys are on about with this MIDI business but the Rock Band drum kit is just a simplified Xbox 360 controller. You can use the drums on the PC. All you need are the official Xbox 360 Controller drivers and this Drum Machine program. It works as I've tried it myself.

thanks all, i downloaded the drum software and it works like a dream, even on win 7.

it is a bit slow unfortunatly but you cant have everything :)

nope it's MIDI IN, it can recieve MIDI commands (such as from the tuning software they release) but it doesn't transmit anything back.

Ah, fair play! Shame really...

• 10 years later...