Questions About Deleting My Current Vista and Doing a Fresh Install

Well I wanna ditch this Vista install and install fresh again.

Now I have a lot of files I need to backup and was seeing if I could create a partition for just backup files and would it stay there even after I erase Vista?

BTW I have Ubuntu installed will that interfere with something such as the grub menu?

you could make a separate partition, but explain more how your partitions and hard drive are setup? Normally i'm assuming most people have one harddrive with one partition taking up all of the space. If that's the case, vista won't allow you to decrease the existing partition size (in disk management) to thereby create a new partition of the unused space. I think it has something to do with the system files being in use or whatever.

I personally tried to make my vista partition smaller to install ubuntu on that leftover partition, but although I had over 300gigs of free space, Vista wouldn't let me do anymore than 5 gigs if that if i remember correctly.

You can use GParted (on a Ubuntu Live cd) to create a new partition out of free space on your drive, but if you don't have any other backup of your data, that's a risky operation.

If Ubuntu is on another physical drive, the easiest is to disable that drive in your BIOS while you're installing Vista. Otherwise, Vista will invalidate the grub menu. It can be restored with the super grub disc, but it's easier not to mess it up in the first place.

I have one hdd on this laptop and this scrn shot shows how my hdd is setup(partition wise)..

The 68.16 GB one is my Ubuntu installtion..

how much data are you trying to backup? you'll probably be best off using the 8gig partition for the data backup or trying to move some of the data to your ubuntu part.

Well your at the limit of primary partitions.. I would assume the 1.4 and 7 GB parts are related to either media direct (is this a HP laptop?) and restore partition, etc. they more than likely could be removed. Do you have restore media for your OS?

But since show 154GB of free space you could just shrink that partition down by the 20GB or so you need, and then create an extended part with a logical drive in it to move your data too.. then you could reinstall your vista.

Well your at the limit of primary partitions.. I would assume the 1.4 and 7 GB parts are related to either media direct (is this a HP laptop?) and restore partition, etc. they more than likely could be removed. Do you have restore media for your OS?

But since show 154GB of free space you could just shrink that partition down by the 20GB or so you need, and then create an extended part with a logical drive in it to move your data too.. then you could reinstall your vista.

It is actually a Toshiba and not sure what those two parts are for, they look empty.

Well my question is I create a partition that is 20 gigs will it disappear when I delete Vista and reinstall it(since I created it through Vista)? Yes I do have a Vista SP1 disc.

No Unless you delete or overwrite the partition during your install -- it will still be there.

But again remember your at the limit of primary partitions (4). So your going to have to delete one of those primary, or create an extended partition with logical drives in it.

Either way they will still be there after a reinstall.

Not up to speed on how toshiba does restores, or if they have direct media support, etc.. But if you do not have files on those 1.4 and 7GB parts -- you could most likely blow them away. if you have the media to reinstall the OSes you want to use, etc.

You prob be best off redoing the disk from scratch the way you want -- so that you don't have 2 partitions on it your not using.

Do you have anything on the linux that you need? If not blow it a way and that 7 GB on the end and crete a partition on the end of your drive that you will use to store files, etc.. then copy your files to this partition.. Then delete the 1.4 and vista partition and create the partition you want for vista at the start of the drive - then install linux to the unallocated space - let linux create the partitions and filesystem -- you would have a linux part and a swap part.. But they would normally show up in windows disk manager as unknown filesystems. Not sure why you only have 1 linux part and its showing as a healthy -- what file system are you using?? FAT? And where is your linux swap partition?

better off to just back up the data onto an External HDD and do your thing.

If I had one I would have used it and would not been asking this question...

No Unless you delete or overwrite the partition during your install -- it will still be there.

But again remember your at the limit of primary partitions (4). So your going to have to delete one of those primary, or create an extended partition with logical drives in it.

Either way they will still be there after a reinstall.

Not up to speed on how toshiba does restores, or if they have direct media support, etc.. But if you do not have files on those 1.4 and 7GB parts -- you could most likely blow them away. if you have the media to reinstall the OSes you want to use, etc.

You prob be best off redoing the disk from scratch the way you want -- so that you don't have 2 partitions on it your not using.

Do you have anything on the linux that you need? If not blow it a way and that 7 GB on the end and crete a partition on the end of your drive that you will use to store files, etc.. then copy your files to this partition.. Then delete the 1.4 and vista partition and create the partition you want for vista at the start of the drive - then install linux to the unallocated space - let linux create the partitions and filesystem -- you would have a linux part and a swap part.. But they would normally show up in windows disk manager as unknown filesystems. Not sure why you only have 1 linux part and its showing as a healthy -- what file system are you using?? FAT? And where is your linux swap partition?

Well I would like keep my Ubuntu, but your saying I should basically delete everything on my hard drive; then from there install Ubuntu again then install my Vista? The partition for my Linux is the 68.16 gig one. And for Windows my file system is NTFS and for my Linux I am not sure(I think I did ext3 if thats relevant)..

EDIT: worded wrong, but what your saying is delete Ubuntu first, create my backup partition, then delete everything else and then install Ubuntu then Vista?

exactly --- I would delete the linux and that other 7GB part -- unless you have something on it you need? Create a part on the end of your drive to store you files.

Copy the stuff you need to keep to this new part, then delete the 1.4 and windows part and then install linux and vista - the order you install would be up to you. Prob install vista first if me, size the windows part to the size you want/need. Then in the left over unallocated space install linux..

Not sure how install linux that its only showing 1 part -- it should show 2 unknown file system types, one linux and the other swap. So unless that 7GB is linux swap not sure what is going on with your setup. What filesystem does windows show for those partitions the linux one and the 7GB one?

exactly --- I would delete the linux and that other 7GB part -- unless you have something on it you need? Create a part on the end of your drive to store you files.

Copy the stuff you need to keep to this new part, then delete the 1.4 and windows part and then install linux and vista - the order you install would be up to you. Prob install vista first if me, size the windows part to the size you want/need. Then in the left over unallocated space install linux..

Not sure how install linux that its only showing 1 part -- it should show 2 unknown file system types, one linux and the other swap. So unless that 7GB is linux swap not sure what is going on with your setup. What filesystem does windows show for those partitions the linux one and the 7GB one?

Okay got you! Do you happen to know how to uninstall Ubuntu because its not as simple as deleting the partition because of the grub menu.

Well maybe one of those is another swap like you said I am not sure though bro.. Um if you look up a couple post, there is a screenshot showing my partitions, but no file systems specified.

Its possible that that 7GB is swap -- but seems a big large for that. Yeah I saw your screenshot -- which is why I pointed out your at the limit for primary partitions.

As to the removing grub -- when you reinstall windows it will overwrite the mbr where grup sits with the vista loader. Then depending on how you install linux you you can either use grub if you want, or install grub to the part you installed linux to and then add it to the vista bootloader.. There are loads of info on this -- simple way to do it is to use one of the free vista bcd editors -- be it easybcd or vistabootpro

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Thanks for the info.. Umm well if I delete Linux after I backup everything, there will be a problem; I was reading somewhere I have to do some edits since the grub will be gone.. You get what im saying?

No not really, worse case is you can repair the vista bootloader to boot.. Get rid of grub first if you have concerns.. You can use either of the tools I mentioned to make it easy.

Or you can use bootrec directly

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Then once you have vista booting once again with the vista bootloader -- you can feel at ease deleting your linux part.

Well first off bro appreciate the time and help you are giving me here!

Second is I read the Microsoft article and im tring to understand in order to repair my bootup, I do the following..

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

Back to the top

Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

* bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

* c:

* cd boot

* attrib bcd -s -h -r

* ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

* bootrec /RebuildBcd

And thats all? After that part this confused me..

/FixMbr

The /FixMbr option writes a Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.

/FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

* The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector.

* The boot sector is damaged.

* An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.

/RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Whats confusing you?

--

/FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

* The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector.

--

Would you not consider grub a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector? ;)

Or like I said use one of the FREE tools I mentioned easybcd or vistabootpro to make it easy for you ;)

Okay got it now lol guess I did not read it fully.. I will probably attempt all this today, but it sucks that I do not have some of my program discs :(, i have misplaced my Adobe Photoshop disc and do not wait for them to send another since im doing projects lol..

Well you could get rid of the linux install and get your backup part created, get your data copied over.. And fix your box so it boots with the vista bootloader again, etc.

Then when you have the install media for your software -- you could finish the repartitioning and reinstall.

As already mentioned -- it might be a good idea to pickup a external USB disk.. Great to have a backup of your data on!! Disks fail -- so having your data only on 1 disk is just waiting for failure to happen and a a really bad day ;)

The prices are really really cheap now for external drives or even 32 or 64GB thumbdrives are fairly reasonable priced. For like $100 you can easy pickup a 1TB external drive..

Then when you have the install media for your software -- you could finish the repartitioning and reinstall.

As already mentioned -- it might be a good idea to pickup a external USB disk.. Great to have a backup of your data on!! Disks fail -- so having your data only on 1 disk is just waiting for failure to happen and a a really bad day ;)

The prices are really really cheap now for external drives or even 32 or 64GB thumbdrives are fairly reasonable priced. For like $100 you can easy pickup a 1TB external drive..

When you say install media do you mean the install disc of Vista and I guess the drives?

Yeah I will get one soon; its just I am a college student majoring in EE and its expensive >_< and I own an Audi..

When I mean the install media -- I meant for any software you need to reinstall.. You already stated you have the vista install media.. But if you need Adobe Photoshop, I would not suggest doing any type of reinstall until you have install media for that ;)

With a wipe and reinstall all your software will have to be reinstalled, etc. Kind of hard to do without the disk ;)

When I mean the install media -- I meant for any software you need to reinstall.. You already stated you have the vista install media.. But if you need Adobe Photoshop, I would not suggest doing any type of reinstall until you have install media for that ;)

With a wipe and reinstall all your software will have to be reinstalled, etc. Kind of hard to do without the disk ;)

Okay thanks for the clarification! I pretty much got everything besides Photshop, but I just remembered I could dl the trial and then call them and register it!

So I think imma go for it soon :)..

Okay got you! Do you happen to know how to uninstall Ubuntu because its not as simple as deleting the partition because of the grub menu.

Vista will "uninstall" Ubuntu for you, which is why you're best off installing Vista first rather than Ubuntu. If you install Ubuntu first then Vista, Vista will overwrite the MBR (Windows is so arrogant that it thinks you don't need other OS's installed). During the Vista install you will see all the drives/partitions available (when the installer asks which drive you want Vista to be installed on) and you'll be able to format them all (thus getting rid of Ubuntu), but only in NTFS.

Remember, when installing both Windows and any other OS on your system, always install Windows first.