Xbox.com - Needs an upgrade?

For as long as I've owned my 360, one thing has remained a constant for me. The general suckage of xbox.com. For starters It always takes forever to load, but thats not all. Today I treated myself to 1000GP and wanted to buy Fallout 3: Point Lookout. I added my points but when I went to buy it from the website, oops, server unavailable. Nice to know the server for taking my money is still at full strength. So I tried to download it off my xbox but now I get "Can't retrieve information from Xbox Live. Please try again later". Fun times.

Does anyone else experience problems with xbox.com?

Yeah - lately I've been getting the same behaviour from the marketplace with regards to trying to purchase stuff results in "Server is unavailable" messages :( Rest of the site's ok though.

Xbox.com has always ran like a dog for me. I've got a Quad Core machine, running Firefox 3.5 on a 50mbit connection and the site is always painfully slow. It irritates me even more that when you go there, you're greeted with a near-fullscreen flash video of some random people I could care less about.

hello kushan, good to see you're still...bouncing.

as for Xbox.com, yes, it's getting long in the tooth and could use overhauling. and OP, you mean you treated yourself to 1000 MS points, not gamerscore or GP.

Never had any issues with xbox.com, in fact, I spend way too much time on there to check what friends are playing or what achievements I want to get for a game :p The recent redesign is pretty good too imo.

MS should launch official blogs like Sony have for strictly covering gaming news - EU, US.

Xbox.com would then just be used for account management, not have anyone browsing Xbox.com for the latest news.

Suggestion for bandwidth efficiency, but to be completely honest I'd like to see a fully focussed EU/US XBox blog ran by official MS staff. Yes I know of the Major Nelson blog, but that's a one man blog. Developers visit the PS Blogs and do video/content updates. (Plus Major Nelson Blog? Having an official Xbox US/EU blog is going to drive more traffic)

I believe it's something you'll see launched, maybe even for this fall (Y)

It irritates me even more that when you go there, you're greeted with a near-fullscreen flash video of some random people I could care less about.

This is so so true.

And surely it's couldn't care less about, argh, why is the phrase so wrong?!

I believe it's something you'll see launched, maybe even for this fall (Y)

The marketing team has a blog of their own that is probably more what you want, as it is an "official" mouthpiece. Major Nelson is independent, but his position within Microsoft is as a community spokesman, so he's also "semi-official" but it's not the same kind of official.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/

edit: Just looked, it looks like they're migrating that content elsewhere, so just refer to the first post on their blog for the current info sources.

The marketing team has a blog of their own that is probably more what you want, as it is an "official" mouthpiece. Major Nelson is independent, but his position within Microsoft is as a community spokesman, so he's also "semi-official" but it's not the same kind of official.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/

Ehhh Dead Monkey did you read the latest post from January 2009? :p

We had a blast being part of Gamerscore blog, and we want to thank you for your support, but as you can see from the list above, there is no shortage of methods to snag the latest word from all of us at Xbox. And we’re ecstatic that we will continue contributing to these outlets going forward. We’ll see you there!

Gamerscore Blog is dead.

Again you don't need names like Gamerscore Blog and what not, just launch an official Xbox Blog, call it that, you'll get traffic (Y) It's something I'd enjoy reading, I love all the PSBlog video updates and developer posts - The developers often reply back to the comments. Not often do we get easy access to communicating with devs.

I have no idea if bandwidth is part of the issue for Xbox.com though, so all I'm suggesting in here might have no impact for it, but I still think it's a good idea for MS.

Neowin does seem faster than xbox.com, but receives no where near the amount of traffic xbox.com does. That site has just been recently updated, mostly visual and not performance wise. I agree it does need an update

Heres my issues with it.

First and foremost, its slow as hell. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK I don't know, but It can take upto 10/20 seconds to fully load, and no other site does this.

Secondly, just a few changes to make it better. I want to know the latest demo's available but they only allow me to sort my title or popularity. Wheres the "most recent" option? Thats what I really want, I couldn't care less how popular a game is, after all, people masturbate over Halo3 and I think its just OK. Anyway.. :p

My extended statusbar on firefox shows I loaded my profile page in 5 seconds with 30kb/s, I don't see the issue here, my connection is overall pretty bad...

Ehhh Dead Monkey did you read the latest post from January 2009? :p

Gamerscore Blog is dead.

Again you don't need names like Gamerscore Blog and what not, just launch an official Xbox Blog, call it that, you'll get traffic (Y) It's something I'd enjoy reading, I love all the PSBlog video updates and developer posts - The developers often reply back to the comments. Not often do we get easy access to communicating with devs.

I have no idea if bandwidth is part of the issue for Xbox.com though, so all I'm suggesting in here might have no impact for it, but I still think it's a good idea for MS.

What about Major Nelson?

What about Major Nelson?

Did you read my other posts in this topic? :p

Did you read my other posts in this topic? :p

Ack! This is what I get for posting at like 3am. Stupid heat.

I did actually read it, what I meant to say was "What about Major Nelson's TWITTER"?