Brand New Logitech X-540 speakers not working

Hi all,

I recently got the logitech X-540 5.1 speakers and they are not working on my computer

Everything is plugged in correctly and the orange, black and green plugs are all in their respective port on the back of the computer, but the only sound that is coming out is from the left and right front speakers. The main central speaker and two back speakers are producing no sound at all...this is really frustrating because the whole reason i bought these was to upgrade from 2.1

5bec0k.jpg

6rhoaa.jpg

2uz4cc6.jpg

2h714de.jpg

any help would be appreciated thank you

Have you done a sound test? What kind of motherboard is it? Is there a console/application for the onboard sound? For my Creative soundcard, I had to change a setting to Stereo Xpand or something like that for mp3's to come out in 5.1. So technically not 5.1, but not a whole lot of things that you will listen to (outside of watching movies) will produce true 5.1.

Edited by Mystic

Just a few questions first:

1) What OS?

2) What onboard sound (Realtek, AnalogDevices, etc.)?

3) Have you checked in the Sound properties and selected 5.1 for the speakers?

Yup, pretty much what everyone has said...

If you're on XP...

Go to Control Panel >> Sounds and Audio Devices >> Advanced (In the speaker settings heading) >> Change Speaker setup to 5.1 surround sound speakers

If you have Vista you would have to go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound then under Speakers click on properties and change to 5.1.

Even after selecting 5.1 speakers, most things (music, simple video, etc) will only be in stereo and play out of two speakers. However, most driver software has a setting to enable 'stereo surround' mode, or something similar that will play 2-channel sources on 5 speakers.

1. Set it to 5.1 output

2. Use some expand functions in your drivers to make it output to all 5 speakers.

As said above, music is designed to only come out of 2 speakers. To make use of the rest, play around with your driver's software. Or, deal like normal, and have the rears/centre automatically kick in during games/DVDs.

• 10 years later...

The issue I am having is when Matrix sound is off I only get sound from the left speaker, when I turn it on I get sound from both front speakers and the center, no sound from the rear speakers on both modes. I was getting crackling sounds when I moved the wires around the back from the main control pad, there could be a broken wire now IDK, when I move it around now nothing happens?

Everything from my HDA XPLOSION 7.1 sound card is set up properly. Are there drivers for the Logitech X-540 that I need to install?

46 minutes ago, CygXanadu said:

The issue I am having is when Matrix sound is off I only get sound from the left speaker, when I turn it on I get sound from both front speakers and the center, no sound from the rear speakers on both modes. I was getting crackling sounds when I moved the wires around the back from the main control pad, there could be a broken wire now IDK, when I move it around now nothing happens?

Everything from my HDA XPLOSION 7.1 sound card is set up properly. Are there drivers for the Logitech X-540 that I need to install?

I tried this: I unplugged all of the RCA wires and left the right front plugged in I can hear sound but barely when I turn on Matrix nothing, I tried all the speakers from one RCA jack and all of the speakers work fine. I think something maybe wrong with the main sound board panel inside the box for that front right side.

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.