i7 950 vs Xeon X5570 - for gaming?

Wow your so lucky With the right motherboard and moded bios you can get a stable overclock as high as 4.6GHz on air with that CPU lots of people on Xtremesystems.org have overclocked the hell out of that CPU the highest I have seen was 5.3GHz

The Xeon will work fine in Asus board I used a E5520, E5530 and X5550 in my Rampage.

The Xeon has a +3 speed bin with 1,2 threads and +2 when using 3,4. In my experiance it hardly ever clocks back to std so you'd see 3.2 allot and 3.3 sometimes, so it's probally better than 950.

You could be wise to sell it though as people have pointed out.

You know, it might be a good idea to sell it. I'm surprised I didn't think of that earlier.

For everyone telling him to sell it that might not be what he wants to do. He wants the best performance so why sell, even if he could make a bundle.

For everyone telling him to sell it that might not be what he wants to do. He wants the best performance so why sell, even if he could make a bundle.

Because the money made could be used to improve his system elsewhere. Even if you are building a hardcore system, you still want the best price/performance ratio.

Because the money made could be used to improve his system elsewhere. Even if you are building a hardcore system, you still want the best price/performance ratio.

But we don't want know what else he has in his system, or did I miss that?

It was just a suggestion, and not everyone was telling him to do t hat. I personally would sell it and buy me a top of the line video card or two along with the cpu he originally wanted. We weren't like "Dude, you have to sell it, that's your only option".

It was just a suggestion, and not everyone was telling him to do t hat. I personally would sell it and buy me a top of the line video card or two along with the cpu he originally wanted. We weren't like "Dude, you have to sell it, that's your only option".

I never implied that it just seemed that no one was telling him what was better they were just saying it would be a good idea to sell to it after, which I agree with.

If it was me, I'd be thrilled if they gave me a Xeon processor instead of an i7. I'd see how far I could overclock it for starters xD

On another note (as others have also mentioned), if you aren't in a hurry to put together your machine then it might be worth selling the processor and buying another i7 950 and using the extra money for something else.

I think everyones missing a big issue, although Xeons are LGA1366 they wont work in desktop X58 chipset boards there are only a handful of desktop boards that do support Xeons but only the W3xxx Xeons.

If he already has a board it wont work, if he gets a Xeon board he is sacrificing SLI capability and would probably need to get a new PSU.

To cut a long story short, just sell it and buy an i7 and have a big chunk of change left.

Xeon is a server class chip, and will not be good for gaming, the I7 is not much better for gaming, but the Xeon will not work for gaming at all! I would suggest that you purchase an AMD system for maximum gaming experience.

Fanboy much?

Don't listen to this guy, he does not know what he are talking about. AMD is getting pwned with the Core line of CPU chips and the Core i7 and Xeon chip will work fine for gaming. It has the same architecture as the i7, but with a higher QPI bandwidth and its higher priced for different reasons not regarding to gaming.

You will basically get the same performance from both the i7 and Xeon chips. ;)

I think everyones missing a big issue, although Xeons are LGA1366 they wont work in desktop X58 chipset boards there are only a handful of desktop boards that do support Xeons but only the W3xxx Xeons.

If he already has a board it wont work, if he gets a Xeon board he is sacrificing SLI capability and would probably need to get a new PSU.

To cut a long story short, just sell it and buy an i7 and have a big chunk of change left.

Incorrect. The Intel Desktop Board DX580SO supports the Xeon X5570 as well as other Xeon CPUs. See here.

Good thing you pointed that out. The Asus boards I suggested earlier support Xeon but NOT the X5570 you have. The Intel DX580SO does support it though.

My Rampage 2 Extreme supports an X5550, I can't see why it wouldn't support and X5570, I know the guy that I bought my X5550 used a P6T to test.

i smell Best Buy

Xeon is a server class chip, and will not be good for gaming, the I7 is not much better for gaming, but the Xeon will not work for gaming at all! I would suggest that you purchase an AMD system for maximum gaming experience.

My Rampage 2 Extreme supports an X5550, I can't see why it wouldn't support and X5570, I know the guy that I bought my X5550 used a P6T to test.

The X5570 isn't included in the CPU support list on the Asus website so I'm just going off of that.

Asus doesn't mention your Rampage 2 Extreme having support for the X5550 here, or the P6T here but maybe I'm missing something :rofl:

The W35xx series will work in the P6T P6T6 P6T7 and Rampage 2 Extreme. ASUS do not list support on their site but they do in some of the Manuals, some of the Manuals list other XEON's and not this specific series but these boards will all happily take W35xx series Chips confirmed on other Forums. Overclocking options when running a W35xx series are reduced but the chips work fine at rated specifications and can be overclocked. The X5570 however the one discussed in this topic is for Multi-Socket systems (Which is why it has 2 QPI links) and will not work in X58 Motherboards.

The W35xx series will work in the P6T P6T6 P6T7 and Rampage 2 Extreme. ASUS do not list support on their site but they do in some of the Manuals, some of the Manuals list other XEON's and not this specific series but these boards will all happily take W35xx series Chips confirmed on other Forums. Overclocking options when running a W35xx series are reduced but the chips work fine at rated specifications and can be overclocked. The X5570 however the one discussed in this topic is for Multi-Socket systems (Which is why it has 2 QPI links) and will not work in X58 Motherboards.

Good to know thanks. :)

Just because it's not in the list doesn't mean it doesn't work. As I said before I have run E5520, E5530 and X5550, non of which are on the lists. They all work fine.

In a single socket configuration I assume the 2nd QPI link just goes unused.

A intel Xeon 55xx CPU more or less will work on a X58 motherboard. a intel x58 chipset has one QPI "FSB" a intel 5500/5520 chipset has 2 QPI "FSB" with 2 QPI's you get support for 2 CPU's and 2 sets of ram slots with that said.

I have used a x5520 xeon on a Asus rampage when I had one but all of the overclocking options were locked that was on a eralyer bios but Asus might have fixed that with newer bios if not with a bios mod you can get all of the options back.

but paying the price for a x55xx CPU is not the best since you pay for all the features that come with it like working on a dual socket mobo unless you got it for free.

• 6 months later...

get a nice workstation grade motherboard and buy a second Xeon and you'll have a kick ass computer :)

Dont need workstation board!!!

I got the same X5570 cpu , tested on Asus WS , now it's in Asus P6X58D.

OC on air with auto volt to 4.8ghz, 24 x 200 bcl , about 79c fully load.

Go down to 4.2ghz and it's 40c max.

Def ratio 12-22 , but asus showing 24 option as well!

Keep CPU!!!