Use a RAID drive as a Off-Site Backup?

So, I'm looking to purchase a server, and this server will have at least one hot swappable drive bay. And of course we will have RAID 1 running. My question to you is, instead of running a backup of the server to a 3rd drive and using that 3rd drive as an offsite backup via the hot swappable drive bay. Could we just yank one of the RAID 1 drives and have it rebuild every morning? And would you recommend this? Thanks for your expertise and opinion, it is appreciated!

No that is not a very good way to do it. For one when you yank the drive you have no idea what state the files were in - where they open? etc.

I would schedule a backup to a disk for use for backup -- yanking drive out of raid 1 array if fine when the drive has failed and your replacing it, etc. but to just yank it as your backup -- and then have rebuild the array every morning would not be a recommended backup method.

Another issue with this is your going to take a performance hit while the drive is rebuilding.. Sure you can put rebuilt on a low priority -- if so depending on your server load and the amount of files.. it might not even be done rebuilding by the next morning, etc.

I would come up with a better solution.. When you backup every night to this 3rd disk -- it does not have to be a full copy -- you could do a diff copy so it could be very quick.. Something as simple as robocopy could be used to mirror the files you want backed up to this 3rd drive.

Wow, robocopy sounds perfect.. never heard of it before and look forward to checking it out. Thanks for the reply BudMan you always have great advice!