Vista won't get past loading screen

My dads computer is having a problem the past few days. It just sits on the loading screen, bar keeps going across, theres hard drive light activity but then it stops. It boots into safe mode and diagnostic mode. I've tried disabling start up services, even the MS ones, disabling startup programs. I tired system restore. I unplugged everything from the computer except kb/m.

its running windows vista premium 32bit.

It goes into safe mode fine right? Boot into safe mode and then restart it in safe mode. I had a similiar problem and thats what I did to resolve it. Also make sure to check your BIOS to not let any USB device be bootable. I know it sounds odd but these are things I discovered trying to get mine past the same stage.

GL

Sounds like you have gone through and eliminated a ton. Have you thought about running a Windows repair? Have you run a chkdsk?

to do a windows repair you boot from the vista dvd and go through a wizard or something? it reinstalls only the OS and keeps programs and user data, correct? I haven't run a chkdsk. I don't think I've ever run one actually.

It goes into safe mode fine right? Boot into safe mode and then restart it in safe mode. I had a similiar problem and thats what I did to resolve it. Also make sure to check your BIOS to not let any USB device be bootable. I know it sounds odd but these are things I discovered trying to get mine past the same stage.

GL

Yup, it goes into safe mode and diagnostic mode. I tried what you said, no go. I also checked the bios.

to do a windows repair you boot from the vista dvd and go through a wizard or something? it reinstalls only the OS and keeps programs and user data, correct? I haven't run a chkdsk. I don't think I've ever run one actually.

Correct (about no data loss) but to be sure boot into Safe Mode and save important files to a usb drive. Here is a link for a Vista repair installation. An important thing to note, what SP is your Vista?

Correct (about no data loss) but to be sure boot into Safe Mode and save important files to a usb drive. Here is a link for a Vista repair installation. An important thing to note, what SP is your Vista?

SP1

checkdisk just ran, i came back 5 minutes later and the window was closed so I guess it completed. should I reboot and see if the problem is fixed?

checkdisk just ran, i came back 5 minutes later and the window was closed so I guess it completed. should I reboot and see if the problem is fixed?

It shouldn't run that quick, it probably gave an error because you can't run chkdsk while booted onto the drive you are trying to scan. Run a chkdsk on boot.

Boot to safe mode, go to START - RUN and type: chkdsk /r and press ENTER. You will be told you need to reboot to run checkdisk - do so.

Boot to safe mode, go to START - RUN and type: chkdsk /r and press ENTER. You will be told you need to reboot to run checkdisk - do so.

i rebooted and loaded it into safe mode, however its stopped on crcdisk.sys and says please wait, the hard drive light is on.

Have you tried booting in "Last Known Good Configuration" mode?

yes

you could use sfc /scannow command too. have you checked for malware?

i'll see about that command after checkdisk. i haven't really checked for malware, the computer is normally pretty clean.

My dads computer is having a problem the past few days. It just sits on the loading screen, bar keeps going across, theres hard drive light activity but then it stops. It boots into safe mode and diagnostic mode. I've tried disabling start up services, even the MS ones, disabling startup programs. I tired system restore. I unplugged everything from the computer except kb/m.

its running windows vista premium 32bit.

Did you try booting in the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode?

that guide you linked seems like they are talking about doing a upgrade install.

"2. Click on Install Now to start the upgrade."

"That guide" specifically is Titled "Repair"

Anyway, there's lots of guides on the web, here's the one I usually quote:

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.c...pairstartup.htm

I find it to be very easy to follow ;)

This is what the guide states:

Welcome to Microsoft's Windows Vista Home Premium Startup Repair guide step by step on a Computer with possible Startup Faults.

"That guide" specifically is Titled "Repair"

Anyway, there's lots of guides on the web, here's the one I usually quote:

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.c...pairstartup.htm

I find it to be very easy to follow ;)

This is what the guide states:

I can't do a upgrade (repair) install from safe mode. So I tried your guide and it didn't find any problems so I guess my last resort is to clean install.

At what point does the Repair fail in the guide I posted?

Looking at all the screenshots (in that guide), which one is the one which fails?

If you have already done a clean install, so be it

At what point does the Repair fail in the guide I posted?

Looking at all the screenshots (in that guide), which one is the one which fails?

If you have already done a clean install, so be it

I haven't done a clean install yet. It didn't fail, I don't think it found any problems:

Image21.gif

Well other than CheckDisk (already tried)

Then it could be a hardware issue

A clean install will confirm this or not :(

Note: Some computer's require the Harddrive controller driver to be re-installed (but this is only valid for clean installs)

You will see this option. Actually here's the clean install guide :)

From here: http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/