How long does steak stay good?

I want to eat this steak, the best before date is July 18th, it's 1:17AM on the 20th, is it still good?

Quick answers please! I'm starving! :D

It was stored in the fridge, there was another steak I already had but I repackaged it with plastic wrap and wrapped a plastic bag around it.

I should really start eating more steak! Then this wouldn't happen!

Eat it. It'll either taste great, or you'll be able to crap through a brick. :p

Seriously though. Does it smell OK? Has the meat oxidised (turned brownish). Was it wrapped in the fridge or just sitting on a plate uncovered? As long as you cook it properly to a well done state (rather than rare or medium), you should be fine.

It's fine. The due date is a "best before" date. Products are still edible for a few days after it, it just won't be as good. Cook it well and it'll be tasty!!

i disagree w/ all of you...

it may still be "ok" to eat (safe), but it probably wont taste the best. you'll know by the slimy, faintly sour taste :x

rollinup - howd it go?

Beef tastes better the older it is, if it has been stored properly. Nowadays they tend not to age meat as they should. A well hung meat always taste better than a very fresh piece.

Obviously if yours has a cure for some disease growing on it you have two choices...

1. chuck it in the bin

b. feed it to the dog/cat - if said pet is still alive/healthy after 4 days you then know it is OK to eat scabby old meat and the original question will be irrelevant!

Beef tastes better the older it is, if it has been stored properly. Nowadays they tend not to age meat as they should. A well hung meat always taste better than a very fresh piece.

Obviously if yours has a cure for some disease growing on it you have two choices...

1. chuck it in the bin

b. feed it to the dog/cat - if said pet is still alive/healthy after 4 days you then know it is OK to eat scabby old meat and the original question will be irrelevant!

+1

I age slabs of meat wrapped in cheesecloth in my fridge for about a month. They get MUCH better than freshly bought. I do this with ribs too and they're heavenly.

It's fine, worst case is theirs a bit of bacteria (if it still looks normal) that will be killed when it's cooked THROUGH. This means cook it until it isn't red.

i disagree w/ all of you...

it may still be "ok" to eat (safe), but it probably wont taste the best. you'll know by the slimy, faintly sour taste :x

rollinup - howd it go?

Well I decided to cook the steak, but I think my paranoia got to me! I tried eating it and it tasted odd to me (even though it was probably fine) so I just couldn't finish it. I usually don't worry about things like that but it really got to me this time haha.