Your choice for linux monitor/inventory/resource tool.

We recently tested out Zenoss and the VM ended up becoming corrupted on the LUN, now I have been tasked with either setting that back up or finding something to replace it.

What would be your choice for monitoring/inventory/resources which can run on linux.

Im going to give OpenNMS a go from what ive seen it looks good. Nagios is good but needs too much configuring. A big task if your on a large scale network.

• 2 weeks later...

I like nagios because it's agentless. If you have cpanel, it can be easliy configured to run munin. Zabbix is another one, but it requires an agent on whatever you want to monitor.

• 1 month later...

We tried OpenNMS before and were less than impressed. It is surprisingly hard to configure and limited in features.

Groundworks Open Source is a nice tool, it's built on top of Nagios, but it is much easier to configure and get running.

Groundworks Open Source is a nice tool, it's built on top of Nagios, but it is much easier to configure and get running.

Another one that is also eay to setup is Zabbix.

We use Nagios at my work and to make configuration easier I have wrote a script to manage it all. Adding/editing/deleting hosts is very simple that way, likewise with custom commands etc. It has cut down the time to edit it to only a few seconds.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...