Which OS is right for you?

I am working on creating a set of pillar articles for my blog to have a solid set of good information. This is my draft for the first one, and it desperately needs help. Any input would be appreciated! You can read the full blog post here.

I recently wrote up a post explaining exactly what a Operating System (shortened to OS from this point on) does, and why it's so important. While that post in itself is very informative, it leads to a larger, more difficult question: Which OS should you use?

I am going to discuss the pros and cons of the three major operating systems currently available:

-Windows Vista, made by Microsoft

-Mac OS X Snow Leopard made by Apple

-Ubuntu 9.04 made by the world-wide comm

unity

First off is Windows Vista. Microsoft Windows is currently the most used OS in the entire world. That's a pretty big strong point. Being such a popular OS, there are programs, both free and commercial, that can let you do nearly anything. Almost any hardware available is compatible with Windows - It is so widely used that the majority of the computer

market comes with a version of Windows already installed on it.

However, Microsoft is notorious for having horrible support, and their newest stable OS, Windows Vista, had major compatibility issues on release (now fixed) and it has unnecessary services and processes that can slow down our computer. Another major issue; being the most

popular OS, it is the most prone to viruses, spyware, and adware that can damage your computer. Windows also requires regular maintenance and clean up to stay away from reduced performance and system errors. The cheapest "Basic" version of Vista costs a hefty $200, while the "Ultimate" edition an almost ridiculous suggested retail price of $320.

While Windows Vista has several strong points, the negative side of this OS is significant, and in most cases I believe you should try to avoid this OS. (Windows 7, Vista's successor, is a completely different story! Check out a post on it here.)

Second is Apple's OS X Snow Leopard. A OS completely different from Windows, Leopard

offers a sleek, simple interface. Leopard comes with a set of well-made applications that let you do anything from buying music to chatting friends to making a movie. There are many advanced

features in OSX that make it appeal to more accomplished users. Leopard is reliable and, in many cases, offers much higher performance than Vista does. It is also very resilient against viruses and is much less prone

to all forms of malware.

Nevertheless, Leopard is not perfect. Leopard only works on Apple-Manufactured hardware, which is often much more expensive than it should be. It has a smaller library of software compared to Windows, and it can be difficult or impossible to get Windows programs to work on a Apple computer.

In any case, OS X Leopard is a strong, well-developed piece of software that is a solid choice as an operating system.

Last but not least is Ubuntu. While not quite as well-known as the other two Operating Systems, Ubuntu is definitely a choice worth considering. It is created by a community of people around the world all who work for free - if wanted to, you could sign up and help develop it right away. Because it is created by the people who use it, it is very easy to use and is 100% free. Because it is based on Linux, it is next-to-invulnerable to viruses, unlike Windows and Leopard. It has a large amount of free software that can usually do whatever you would have been able to do on a Windows or Mac computer. Also, it is able to run most Windows programs with a compatibility layer such as Wine. Ubuntu is reliable, lightning fast, and has a very good interface.

Even so, advanced use of Ubuntu and more complicated tasks may require more technical skills than a Windows or Mac would. Also, many commercial programs may not work on Ubuntu.

The Bottom Line:

Even though there is no clear-cut best operating system, each has its pros and cons and different people will choose different ones. Microsoft Windows is the most popular and is a good choice for anyone who will need to use Windows programs. Apple's OS X would be most suitable for those who can afford to spend a little more and need a fast computer. Ubuntu would be best for anyone with more technical skills than the average user, and looking for a free and fast operating system. I hope this article helps you choose the right operating system for you.

Original Review

Again, please leave helpful, un-angry critique. I love getting good advice, but I hate getting posts like "Dude you stink at writing man!" :no:

Thanks for listening! :)

Edited by Robomaster

vista sp2 serves me pretty well for right now, it does still feel "heavy" though. i will of course be buying an oem copy of 7 x64 ultimate and using that instead in october. i have tried both ubuntu & apple "hackintosh" they are ok but not my cup of tea! i do know i could "never' go back to running xp!

vista sp2 serves me pretty well for right now, it does still feel "heavy" though. i will of course be buying an oem copy of 7 x64 ultimate and using that instead in october. i have tried both ubuntu & apple "hackintosh" they are ok but not my cup of tea! i do know i could "never' go back to running xp!

Thanks for the reply. Any input on the review itself? Is there any way I can make it so the review doesn't become unapplicable over time?

The link to the post on windows 7 is not there.

You mean from my old topic? I'm not supposed to make it so readers HAVE to go to my blog to answer my question, so they deleted it. :(

Ubuntu is not an operating system, it is a distribution - by the way.

Depends on how you look at it...but good point. How should I change the review to fit that in?

Spelling error here:

While not quite as well-known as the other two Operating Systems, Ubuntu is definitely a choice work considering

Should be worth considering.

I usually don't point out spelling errors but I feel a review should at least be well written.

As for the review, it was short and didn't go into much details. I'm not sure anyone could pick out why they should switch from one OS to another based on that review. It's not a bad review, mind you. It's just a big decision to move to another OS and people sometimes need more details.

Spelling error here:

Should be worth considering.

I usually don't point out spelling errors but I feel a review should at least be well written.

As for the review, it was short and didn't go into much details. I'm not sure anyone could pick out why they should switch from one OS to another based on that review. It's not a bad review, mind you. It's just a big decision to move to another OS and people sometimes need more details.

Thanks, I missed that spelling error. How would you suggest I add more detail? I know it needs it, but it's not that easy. :huh:

Depends on how you look at it...but good point. How should I change the review to fit that in?

You could simply list it as Linux instead of using one distribution as an example - they share software and have many similarities - the biggest differences are the desktop environments that they use by default but even those are freely exchangeable in every major distribution (and things like package management but that's not really important from a non-indepth review perspective).

You could simply list it as Linux instead of using one distribution as an example - they share software and have many similarities - the biggest differences are the desktop environments that they use by default but even those are freely exchangeable in every major distribution (and things like package management but that's not really important from a non-indepth review perspective).

Good point, but I'd like to put Ubuntu as the operating system because I have tried Kubuntu and the like and they aren't as good as Ubuntu in most ways.

Ubuntu is definitely a choice "work" considering

Should be "worth" right? :-p

EDIT: a bit late on that one. oh well.

There are many advanced features in OSX that make it appeal to more accomplished users.

All other points aside, I'm interested in this one, explain please. Never used OSX, just interested in what these features are.

(DISCLAIMER: Typing this on Windows 7 64BIT, but I'm no ones fanboy, even if I do think Win7 is the best OS Microsoft have produced and the best I've used, which would include Unix and Linux).

Windows 7, as simple as that :) no need to explain, it's been my main os since RC :)

Windows 7, as simple as that :) no need to explain, it's been my main os since RC :)

I'm using built 7100 and love it as much as you do. :) I didn't think it'd be right to put down as a choice, because you can only get the RC version now.

I'm using built 7100 and love it as much as you do. :) I didn't think it'd be right to put down as a choice, because you can only get the RC version now.

ahh, well, does not matter, beats the hell out of vista, and I loved vista :)

ahh, well, does not matter, beats the hell out of vista, and I loved vista :)

Still don't think I should put it in, but you're right about it creaming vista.

... Because it is based on Linux, it is next-to-invulnerable to viruses, unlike Windows and Leopard.

I am a Linux user for many years, but even though I use it 100% at home, and really love the OS, I have never claimed any sort of "invulnerable" status. Especially since it has been hit by some high-profile (in the non-Windows world, anyhow) worms, such as slapper. Any malware can be written for a platform that is not updated, or poorly administered.

I think that a mention of other distros may be appropriate, but I would not change the article to remove references to Ubuntu. Since that seems to be about the flagship of "newbie-friendly" distros at the moment, it is appropriate to use it as the single version to discuss. It keeps the post simple with three clear options to discuss.

I think a mention on Windows 7 should be put in, lets face it, it's "just around the corner" and is the next biggest thing in the PC field. (well, it is!)

Definate winner and keeper here. (Y)

Nevertheless, Leopard is not perfect. Leopard only works on Apple-Manufactured hardware, which is often much more expensive than it should be. It has a smaller library of software compared to Windows, and it can be difficult or impossible to get Windows programs to work on a Apple computer.

In any case, OS X Leopard is a strong, well-developed piece of software that is a solid choice as an operating system.

This is absolutely untrue.

Look up Parallels desktop or VMWare fusion.

However, Microsoft is notorious for having horrible support, and their newest stable OS, Windows Vista, had major compatibility issues on release (now fixed) and it has unnecessary services and processes that can slow down our computer.

I have to say this to be fair: Its because Microsoft has the biggest amount of users, that the support found around the internet in general is probably better overall than a linux distro.

OS X also collects unecessary services and processes over time as well.

I remember when installing the original Leopard that people were having issues with crashing and blue screens, I was also unable to connect to the internet using wireless until the first major update.

A few of your points I'd like to comment on:

First off is Windows Vista. Microsoft Windows is currently the most used OS in the entire world. That's a pretty big strong point. Being such a popular OS, there are programs, both free and commercial, that can let you do nearly anything. Almost any hardware available is compatible with Windows - It is so widely used that the majority of the computer market comes with a version of Windows already installed on it.
Although I agree with the statements, what makes your essay very weak in general and on this point in particular is the lack of proof or argumentation. What kind of software Windows supports that is less easily available on other platforms? You could have named video games for instance. You could have named Visual Studio, or Google Chrome.
However, Microsoft is notorious for having horrible support
On the contrary, Microsoft is notorious for having excellent support. The documentation and help files for their products are consistently detailed and excellent. They'll quickly answer support calls. They keep supporting their products long after they're released. Windows XP will have been supported with free updates for 13 years, long after Vista and Windows 7, and probably the successor to Windows 7 have been released. I doubt any OSX or Linux distribution can even dream of being supported for that long. You call that horrible support?
and their newest stable OS, Windows Vista, had major compatibility issues on release (now fixed)
So what if they're now fixed?
and it has unnecessary services and processes that can slow down our computer.
Like what? You look like you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe that's not the case, but you make some pretty bold claims without any proof so that's not prone to gaining you much credit.
Another major issue; being the most popular OS, it is the most prone to viruses, spyware, and adware that can damage your computer.
Correct, but not necessarily an issue for experienced users. I run Vista without any kind of software protection (just router firewall) and haven't had any malware problems with it for years.
Windows also requires regular maintenance and clean up to stay away from reduced performance and system errors.
Like what kind of maintenance? Defragmenting? It's automatic. Cleaning up the registry? That's a myth, registry bloat has barely any impact on performance. Uninstalling unused programs/deleting old files? That's an issue on any OS. Installing system updates? That's taken care of by Windows Update. So, what maintenance are you talking about?
[it's expensive]
Correct. I got my copy through MSDNAA though. :p

Ok neowin doesn't like quotes so I'll use indents for now on:

Windows 7, Vista's successor, is a completely different story! Check out a post on it here.

... I very very much doubt you can make a convincing point that Windows 7 is a completely different story. It's basically THE SAME OS. They substantially improved performance and the GUI, but basically it's the same OS! If you think Vista is virus-prone, then Windows 7 is just as virus-prone! It runs the same software the same way! It has the same system requirements and it also uses a registry!

Second is Apple's OS X Snow Leopard.
A OS completely different from Windows, Leopard

offers a sleek, simple interface. Leopard comes with a set of well-made applications that let you do anything from buying music to chatting friends to making a movie. There are many advanced features in OSX that make it appeal to more accomplished users.

"Accomplished users", what does that mean? What about Windows Media Player, Live Messenger, Windows Movie Maker? How is OSX special in that regard? I'm not saying it's not, but you don't actually argue those points so it's easy to dismiss them.

Leopard [..], in many cases, offers much higher performance than Vista does.

Any examples, or you're pulling that off your arse?

It is also very resilient against viruses and is much less prone to all forms of malware.

I doubt it has anything to do with the OS but rather with the absence of threats due to its small market share.

Like what programs?

Last but not least is Ubuntu
. While not quite as well-known as the other two Operating Systems, Ubuntu is definitely a choice worth considering. It is created by a community of people around the world all who work for free (...)

It's also backed up by Canonical, Novell, IBM, Sun and Red Hat, more or less directly.

Because it is created by the people who use it, it is very easy to use

Uh, if I created my own operating system it would probably suck horribly. That argument is balls.

Because it is based on Linux, it is next-to-invulnerable to viruses, unlike Windows and Leopard.

No it's not, and that has nothing to do with being "Linux".

It has a large amount of free software that can usually do whatever you would have been able to do on a Windows or Mac computer.

Sort of. Would definitely benefit from a bit of discussion. Office applications? Media Players? Photo editing, drawing, 3D design, software development, games, messaging, web browsers? What's there and what's not?

Also, it is able to run most Windows programs with a compatibility layer such as Wine.

Or a VM. But it's not like running them natively especially when it doesn't work.

Ubuntu has a very good interface.

... not really worth saying in a comparison since the UIs in Leopard and Vista are definitely more polished and pleasing.

Anyway, I hope you get the idea now... research your points and try to argue them, not only does that give much greater value to your article but it also saves you from just regurgitating pre-made ideas or myths which will definitely turn off any tech-savvy reader.

Edited by Dr_Asik

It has a smaller library of software compared to Windows, and it can be difficult or impossible to get Windows programs to work on a Apple computer.

You realize Macs do Windows these days right? Both native or through virtualization software.

I always liked Vista. I never really had the problems many others seemed to have. I never had a big drop in framerates for the high-end games I tried, I never had poor performance (SP1 and later), and it gave me less trouble overall than XP did. I found Vista machines somewhat harder to repair as opposed to XP machines (fixing XP installations that were damaged by malware almost became 2nd nature :p), but that's the only real drawback I had with it when compared to XP.

That said, Windows 7 is still better. :)