Anyone know of a good Universal remote?

Does anyone know of any good Univeral remote for a good price, ie about $30?

I've had problems in the past with Universal remotes. The either don't work with all of my components or certain buttons are missing, such as the "Menu" button for the TV. I want to make sure I get a good Universal remote this time, so I don't run into this same problem I had in the past. I'm tried of holding 3+ remotes while watching something on my TV, so this is why I really want one of these Universal remotes.

Here is a list of my components. I would like the remote to be able to control ALL of these.

Samsung LN32A450 LCD TV

Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray Disc Player

Samsung SMT-H3050 Set Top Box

Sony STR-K670P Home Theater System

Sony DVP-NS77H Upscaling DVD Player

Sony SLV-N900 VCR

You might want to check out the logitech harmony line of remotes. I don't have one, but I've heard great things about them.

I was going to suggest the same, but it looks like the OP is not wanting to spend that sort of money!

I was going to suggest the same, but it looks like the OP is not wanting to spend that sort of money!

He said he wanted a good remote, and (as with most things) you get what you pay for. I'll admit that I did miss the budget limit of $30 though. :p

The Logitech Harmony 520 is only double the budget at $60

He said he wanted a good remote, and (as with most things) you get what you pay for.

You'd be surprised. I've seen more expensive merchandise that don't work as well as the cheaper ones. I'd be more than willing to spend $50-60 on a remote, but it better be one heck of a great remote that will DEFINITELY get the job done. The problem is, there is no guarantee and I'd hate to throw away $60 on something that will not fully satisfy my needs. From past experience, there have always been cheaper alternatives to a certain type of merchandise that can do just as good of a job as its expensive counterparts. You just have to look real hard.

You can always return it for a refund if it doesn't do everything you need/want it to. I also believe that somewhere on the logitech site it lists what each of their remotes can do. Good luck on your search though.

Another vote for the harmony line. It is another one of those items people wonder why they would so much on it. It is once they have it that they realize how much better it was than what they had. Same with me and my Dyson vacuum.

You can always return it for a refund if it doesn't do everything you need/want it to. I also believe that somewhere on the logitech site it lists what each of their remotes can do. Good luck on your search though.

Easy said than done. Those remotes are usually either sealed or packaged on those tough plastic thingies where you have to cut the hell out of it just to open it.

Another vote for the harmony line. It is another one of those items people wonder why they would so much on it. It is once they have it that they realize how much better it was than what they had. Same with me and my Dyson vacuum.

A lot of people seem to recommend that. I'll look into that and see if I can find a Harmony remote for a good price. Thanks.

Easy said than done. Those remotes are usually either sealed or packaged on those tough plastic thingies where you have to cut the hell out of it just to open it.

A lot of people seem to recommend that. I'll look into that and see if I can find a Harmony remote for a good price. Thanks.

Go to a real store (ie not online), buy the Logitech Harmony (I have a 880), and if you don't like it, bad package or not, you can return it for a refund.

I have two Harmony remotes, a 510 and a 6xx series. They're great. :) Newegg has at least 4 or 5 models that are $60 or less. I'd avoid any that have an automatic backlight, though. Just sneezing in the room turns it on and it's really bright.

I have two Harmony remotes, a 510 and a 6xx series. They're great. :) Newegg has at least 4 or 5 models that are $60 or less. I'd avoid any that have an automatic backlight, though. Just sneezing in the room turns it on and it's really bright.

Don't they all ?

only th bigger models (one and I guess 8xx series) have better sensors, I think they're actually directional or something, and don't react untill you pick it up and tilt it a bit. while the 5xx series will light up when you walk into the room if it's not solid concrete floor :)

but anyway the harmony should work with all those devices, and it's activity based wich is what makes it awesome in the first place.