[c/c++] JPG to BMP conversion

Question

Do any of you have a (working) .jpg to .bmp converter?

I'm working on a setbackground type script app that loads random backgrounds from my pc.

I already got it to load BMP's. But It won't load JPEG's.

I would prefer it if you provided the source code.

20 answers to this question

Just in case you're doing it on Windows, here's an example of converting a jpeg to bmp:

#include <windows.h>
#include <gdiplus.h>

#define WINDOWS_LEAN_AND_MEAN
using namespace Gdiplus;

int GetEncoderClsid(const WCHAR* format, CLSID* pClsid)
{
	UINT  num = 0;		  // number of image encoders
	UINT  size = 0;		 // size of the image encoder array in bytes

ImageCodecInfo* pImageCodecInfo = NULL;

GetImageEncodersSize(&num, &size);
	if(size == 0)
		return -1;  // Failure

pImageCodecInfo = (ImageCodecInfo*)(malloc(size));
	if(pImageCodecInfo == NULL)
		return -1;  // Failure

GetImageEncoders(num, size, pImageCodecInfo);

for(UINT j = 0; j < num; ++j)
	{
		if( wcscmp(pImageCodecInfo[j].MimeType, format) == 0 )
		{
			*pClsid = pImageCodecInfo[j].Clsid;
			free(pImageCodecInfo);
			return j;  // Success
		}
	}
	free(pImageCodecInfo);
	return -1;
}

int main(void){

GdiplusStartupInput startupInput;
	ULONG_PTR token;
	GdiplusStartup(&token, &startupInput, NULL);
	Image testImg(L"c:\\test.jpg", false);
	CLSID clsid;
	int ret = -1;

if(-1 != GetEncoderClsid(L"image/bmp", &clsid)){
		ret = testImg.Save(L"c:\\test.bmp", &clsid);
	}

GdiplusShutdown(token);
	return ret;
}

Oh, yeah. I need it to be cross-platform.

Looking for a function like:

int JpegToBmp(char* jfile, char* bfile){

//code here
//jpeg output to bfile

return bfile;

}

int main(){
JpegToBmp("C:\\1.jpg","C:\\1.bmp");

}

Thanks

Edited by dramonai

BMP is a Windows (and OS/2) format. The HBITMAP handle is very much a Windows-specific thing. Why do you want this to be cross-platform? And you do realize that, even for .bmp files, there are many different types of bitmaps, right? So... um, are you really sure you need/want this to be cross-platform?

I would prefer not to use the Gdiplus namespace.

That's a really bad reason to reject this approach. First, you don't have to use that namespace. Or, you can squirrel all this away in a separate source file. Etc.

The alternative is to roll your own implementation (or copy some existing implementation), which is wasteful if you can avoid it by using a system library like GdiPlus or WIC (Vista or later).

Gdiplus doesn't even work on my machine.

I don't have the header files and libraries with my compiler(mingw32-gcc).

I've tried CxImage,ipl98,DevIL, and a bunch of other Image Processing Libraries and none of them worked

(probably because they were coded with MS VC++ 6, and I'm using mingw)

BTW I want to convert a 24-bit JPG to a 24-bit bitmap

(another thing)

I already tried using a command-line image converter via system() but it didn't work.

So it's not cross-platform you're after, it's cross-compiler...

If you're developing on Windows, you are going to need the Windows SDK no matter what compiler you use. And as a bonus, the SDK also contains a free copy of MSFT's own compiler that you can use (though mingw-gcc should work for GDI+).

GDI+ actually uses a regular, flat C API (which is definitely cross-compiler-safe), that is then wrapped in a bunch of C++ classes via the headers (which you get through the SDK) so that C++ users can pretend that GDI+ is C++. As a last resort, you can always just bypass the middleman and use GDI+ as any old set of flat C APIs.

So it's not cross-platform you're after, it's cross-compiler...

Well, actually it is cross-platform because unix/macosx have gcc.

Downloading SDK... EDIT:(OMG this will take a while...)

Edited by dramonai

Funny, I was about to suggest CxImage, after my pleasant experience with it in a recent project. It compiles fine for me on both MinGW 3.4.5 (stable) and MinGW 4.4.0 (testing) (with the latest Win32API, of course.) I had to make some slight modifications, though, to get it to compile with libJPEG and libPNG. It should work like a charm for what you need.

Well, actually it is cross-platform because unix/macosx have gcc.

If you intend to have your program run on *nix without Wine, then it's cross-platform, and you probably shouldn't use GDI+ (you still can, if you find an alternative method for your *nix builds) (note that BMP files are used much outside of Windows). If you intend your program to run only on Windows, then it's cross-compiler (even if the compiler can compile for other platforms).

Funny, I was about to suggest CxImage, after my pleasant experience with it in a recent project. It compiles fine for me on both MinGW 3.4.5 (stable) and MinGW 4.4.0 (testing) (with the latest Win32API, of course.) I had to make some slight modifications, though, to get it to compile with libJPEG and libPNG. It should work like a charm for what you need.

Do you think you could send me a CxImage Makefile? Or tell me how to compile it.

Before I couldn't get it to compile.

If you intend to have your program run on *nix without Wine, then it's cross-platform, and you probably shouldn't use GDI+ (you still can, if you find an alternative method for your *nix builds) (note that BMP files are used much outside of Windows). If you intend your program to run only on Windows, then it's cross-compiler (even if the compiler can compile for other platforms).

Well, I'm developing this for both Ubuntu and Windows, maybe even Mac so...

If you're serious about cross-platform, use QT.

Me no like qt. The framework is way too freakin large. To run my program, the downloader would have to download 100MB+ of DLL's.

Plus, right now I'm just working on the console with file handling, and the like.

Giving up... :(

Don't really need to convert.

I'll just convert the jpeg's manually then add the path's to the bmp's to my ini file.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Just in case you're doing it on Windows, here's an example of converting a jpeg to bmp:

Useless code.

You can do it with 1 api call on Windows (Shell)...

Useless code.

You can do it with 1 api call on Windows (Shell)...

So... Instead of you being an arrogant **** head, why not post the code and enlighten us? Jeezus, now I remember why I stopped posting here. I mostly code for the web these days, so forgive my ignorance of the shell that I haven't even looked at in years, O Mighty One!