• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

NTFS for DOS

xelencin    0

Whenever XP RTM comes out I plan on formatting my drive with the CD making it NTFS. I havnt done this due to its lack of dos access (win98 boot).

I know there is a application to see NTFS drives from DOS, but does this program support the xp version of ntfs? Can someone tell me where to get this?

crackhbob    0

I don't think that proggy will work on xp's version of ntfs.. If I'm not mistaken it's ntfs 5.1 and just because it's on an xp themed site doesn't mean it will work. It's unfortunate because I would like to take advantage of some of NTFS's characteristics.

sdb420    0

i haven't used it myself, so i can't say for sure if it works. however, i bet some others would like to know if it works. maybe you could try it out and post your results, i would but i don't have xp just win2k.

rustyball    0

You can make a boot disk supposedly that allows for viewing of NTFS drives from dos w/in XP. Just right click on a floppy and hit format then check the option that says to make a boot disk. I have never used this but it supposedly does do that.

xelencin    0

Well making a boot disk in WinXP makes a WinME bootdisk which I've heard cant read NTFS drives.

I cant try this program myself, because I am not running any NTFS drives right now, BUT I did find a problem with it, the ntfsdos on that site is a so-called trial version, and it only allows you to read the drive :(. Anyone know where I can get the full version of this?

MaddogMDD    0

Well, i don't know about seeing NTFS from DOS, but when it does come time to install RTM XP, you can boot off a 98/ME disk, copy installation files to a regular old FAT32 DOS partition, and later in the XP installation convert to NTFS. The option comes up after the second reboot i think. I've done this in the past, and it's worked fine.

xelencin    0

I know doing that works fine, thats not what im worried about. I want to directly install of CD on a freshly formatted hard drive, and format the drive via NTFS.

I need a bootdisk that can see NTFS incase I ever **** something up and need to get files off the drive or reinstall windows, which I would do from dos...

er

this message was not to make me sound like a ass..

lol

me101    0

NTFSDOS is available from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware...ntfswin98.shtml You can read on how this works, although it apears it has not been updated for XP, but reading on how it works, it maybe should be able to read NTFS 5.1 as it uses the following, quoted from the site.

NTFS for Windows 98 takes a unique approach to providing cross-platform file system support. Rather than implement code to read and write NTFS drives, NTFS for Windows 98 uses the NTFS and NTOSKRNL system files from a Windows NT or Windows 2000 configuration. NTFS for Windows 98 wraps the Windows NT/2000 NTFS driver in a run-time environment that simulates the Windows NT environment the NTFS driver is written to use. Thus, NTFS for Windows 98 does not rely on potentially unreliable reverse-engineered information about NTFS, provides ultimate compatibility with NTFS, and takes advantage of Microsoft NTFS bug fixes whenever you update the NTFS driver file NTFS for Windows 98 uses to a more recent version.

By reading between the lines, it should be able to read NTFS 5.1 as it uses the NTOSKRNK system files from an XP system, so maybe, will give it a try tonight and let you know...

This is the version that works for Win95/98, but it's only available for ReadOnly.

A read-write version is available, in the form of NTFSDOS Professional, available at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware...tfsdospro.shtml

The site, SYSInternals also has some other really neat utils, for Win95/98 and NT/2k, like RegMon and FileMon, which I happen to like very much.

Hope this is of some help.

pctuk    0

anyone know if there is a free version that reads/writes?

cheers :china: pct :china: