What does a built-in wireless adapter look like in a laptop?

I would like to know what an internal wireless adapter looks like inside of a laptop (internal meaning the manufacturer had it built in). Are there two antennae that go up the sides of the screen, or is there a small chip with one antenna inside, or does the adapter reside in a PCMCIA slot?

Also, how do built-in laptop adapters generally compare performance-wise to wireless USB adapters?

Laptop Wireless adapters are a Mini-PCI card, with an antenna up the side of the screen (one if Wireless G, 2 probably if a N adapter).

As for performance, I don't know, but you shouldn't notice to much of a difference (if any at all).

Edit: Seconds netwokz suggestion.

Google images is your friend.... just sayin.

Tried already. All I could find were some tiny chips, but I don't know if they are stock or not.

Laptop Wireless adapters are a Mini-PCI card, with an antenna up the side of the screen (one if Wireless G, 2 probably if a N adapter).

As for performance, I don't know, but you shouldn't notice to much of a difference (if any at all)

Thanks.

802.11 A, B, G and N cards usually have from 1 to 3 antennas depending on which card and OEM is using it. They can come in both PCIe and PCMCIA connector types and they are usually very very small. We are talking the size of a coin. I have one from a MacBook Pro it is a PCIe variant and it is only a little larger than a 50 pence piece (UK Currency)