Getting an Xbox + Matrix chip

Well, in two weeks time, I'll (probably, if nothing else comes up) buy an Xbox and a mod chip. I'm gonna use it as a HTPC (with XBMP) and gaming system (duh ;)).

I'm gonna get a Matrix/Xodus chip, since I don't trust myself with a soldering iron in a $200 machine :p

The problem is, the Matrix doesn't work with the newer, v1.2, Xboxes, so I want to be sure I'm getting a 1.0 or 1.1 box. Does anyone know how I can see this when I'm in the store? I know about dates (manufacture date earlier than August 2002 means it's an 1.0 box), but there's gotta be some other way, to distinguish between a 1.1 and a 1.2?

Hope some has some information on the subject :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I knew about that one.. Doesn't seem like there's a way to check it other than the date method. Before you've already purchased it I mean. :(

Ohwell. I spoke to a friend, and apparently it's not that hard to get ahold of a v1.0 box here in Sweden still. Hope I can get one :)

are there any major performance issues between the revisions? like, any reason to want to have a 1.2 over a 1.1? what exactly did they revise?

I'm getting the limited edition (surprisingly is, sold out everywhere I looked :o ) green xbox and that's 1.2, that's being modded with a Xecuter Lite chip so they must be available. He's chipped it and waiting for the HD.

Don't go with a Matrix. They won't work in 1.2, and probably not in most 1.1 because the LPC points are not filled. They will also be obsolete soon as they only have 256 kb BIOS capacity. Get an executer 2 and use the pin header install, then tin the D0 wire and tape it over the point. This method worked like a charm for me.

If you still feel uncomfortable soldering the pin header, have someone with experience do it. It's very easy though, those points are pretty big.

You could also buy one pre-modded.

Go with the chameleon. Best and cheapest chip on the market. Soldering isnt that hard, just practice on an old card for about a week....

Go with the chameleon. Best and cheapest chip on the market. Soldering isnt that hard, just practice on an old card for about a week....

Yeah, go with the Chameleon if you don't mind dealing with the worst company in existence. (easybuy2000) :rofl:

BroChaos, mainly all they did with the 1.2 is change the board layout and a few minor things to make them cheaper to manufacture. Although some of the newer ones come with Samsing DVD drives which can read more types of media than the others.

I recommend you go with a premod if you don't want to solder. I tried pogo pin chips and it didn't go well. I had a matrix that kept coming loose and I couldn't get my X2 pogos aligned in the first place.

Go with an X2, because chameleons and a real pain to install without a matrix and they are only software controllable through evox. If you choose to use a different dashboard you will need to go back to evox to change anything on your chip.

Well as I said, v1 boxes aren't that hard to come buy here in Sweden. There have been a bunch of repackings (for nation-wide special offers, like games being included and such), and so the 1.2's have actually gone earlier than the 1.0's. A friend of mine bought his Xbox just a few months ago, and he was able to get one that was manufactured in April 2002 in a matter of minutes, at the first store he tried.

Also I think the Matrix will work out fine for me since I don't plan to be moving the console around much anyway.

I'd think about going with an X2+pogo pin adapter if only they were cheaper. The same goes for getting a pre-modded box.

However, Divineo had this new one (2003/05/14): "No Solder Executer 2 Lite Plus". I suppose it doesn't work in 1.2 boxes though, but does anyone know for sure? (I know it says 1.0 and 1.1, but in another product description they mentioned 1.1 as the "latest version", so I want to be sure :))

Edit: It seems that it does work with 1.2 boxes. But will I need to buy a programmer for it? Or does it come with one, like the Matrix does? Or can I use my friend's Matrix programmer for the X2Lite+ (supposedly not, but I don't know)?

Edited by cerbero

I was going to edit the last post but I can't anymore, so I'll just have to post a new reply. The X2Lite+ comes with the Cromwell BIOS, so you can just install it and the flash it from a CD. Cool :)

Though I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not it works in an v1.2 Xbox without soldering (soldering is apparently and alternative for this one). Can anyone enlighten me? :D

It will not install on a 1.2 without soldering. A newer version 1.2 is going to come out which will work on 1.2 boards, however there is still no definite date as to it's release.

It will not install on a 1.2 without soldering. A newer version 1.2 is going to come out which will work on 1.2 boards, however there is still no definite date as to it's release.

Ah, I see. Too bad. I'll just see if I can get a v1 box before I decide what chip to get I guess :)