T-Mobile My Touch 3G review

Hello, this is my first review on Neowin.net, so please go easy on me :p

I've upgraded to this phone for a few reasons:

1) It's Android, need i say anymore?

2) Signing up with T-mobile in January of this year, i was given the Motorola Rockr E8 for free with a 2 year contract. Which i found to be a horrible phone with a laggy UI, before receiving my My Touch 3G i went through 3 of these, one which the battery heated up too much rendering the phone useless. Soon as i heard rumours on the HTC Magic (now the My Touch 3G) i went ahead and started watching forums, and getting any links i can to get more info on this phone, very excited.

3) I've been wanting a touch screen phone for a long time and was in no way going to go with an iPhone, too many people have them already, and most that i see have it just to be cool.

4) I'm a linux fan, and a big supporter of Open Source.

Now on to the pics and review:

The packaging i have to say is nice, T-Mobile did a wonderful job in the box art

Review%20Pic%201.jpg

It came with a fairly large leather case which housed the phone and all it's accessories, again t-Mobile did a nice job on this, imo.

Review%20pic%202.jpg

The phone itself and the accesories:

Review%20pic%203.jpg

Review%20pic%204.jpg

Review%20pic%205.jpg

Review%20pic%206.jpg

Home screen

Since posting this review i've had it for a few days, so the home screen shown below isn't the default one, i've since changed the wallpaper and icons:

Review%20pic%207.jpg

I found it easy to customize and didn't feel the need to really read the manual to navigate the phone, the UI is very responsive and easy to browse.

Review%20pic%208.jpg

The Back design is nicely done as well:

Review%20pic%209.jpg

Below are some pics with it next to my old ( crappy ) phone.

Review%20pic%2010.jpg

Review%20pic%2011.jpg

I'm completely satisfied with this product it's everything i've hoped for, Responsive UI, easy to navigate, customize and use overall.

MP3 usage:

Up to this point i've been using my PSP Slim for my MP3 player on my commute to work, playing music on this is nice, the Media player could use an EQ, and the headphones that come with it aren't as loud as the Phillips ones i use for my Slim. I like alot of Bass in my music.

Virtual keyboard

When presented with a text field all one has to do is touch it and the KB pops up, i found it easier to use in the side oriented view, as the keys appear much larger rendering it easier to type with, at least for me as i have fat thumbs.

Photo Camera

One can use the trackball to take photos or the camera icon on the screen, when holding either one down, the camera auto adjusts, releasing either snaps the photo.

2009-08-01%2019.31.49.jpg

My son Isaiah

The 1536x2048 resolution makes for crisp images.

Video camera:

Haven't played with it yet, sorry.

Cons:

lack of 3G where i live i'm currnetly on T-Mobile's EDGE network, which is one step under 3G, i still have decent download times from the Android market, and web browsing.

I'd make this review longer, but my wife is calling me lol.

My Touch 3G 10/10

There are some good android phones coming in the next 6-9 months, so I plan to wait for some more time before upgrading from my current Nokia 6300. Most anticipated is the Motorola androids; Sholes and Calgary both look really good.

It's only going to get better because Google are releasing 3 new Android versions this year. XDA Dev forum shows that Donut (next update) has significant performance boosts over the current version (Cupcake).

Depends on howit's used, like most phones (inc iPhone)

It can be 1 day if you've got poor 3g receptiuon and 3g on or 2 days with 2g + wifi on in moderate use or 3-5days with moderate use and 2G reception enabled.

How much does the MyTouch cost? I can't seem to find it anywhere :/

I paid the full price for mine, plus the 24.99 for the data package, so it was around $450 plus tax. For new customers its around $178.

This really got me wanting an android based phone even more. Hopefully Sprint releases one soon.

Sprint should be getting the HTC Hero and Samsung Instinct Q (Android) should be both coming out on Oct. 11th, according to the leaked information.

Nice review, Android is looking better and better!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Sprint is going to get HERO? Nice..I was hoping Tmobile US would start getting more and more Android devices - they have some ****ty devices to select from.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my mytouch! It is much better than the G1 (which I put up with since launch - hardware wise)...

Now if only tmobile can get the Hero :laugh:

I got my mytouch for $149 + extending the contract. I had multiple multiple multiple handset replacements w/ my G1 for issues :crazy:

I love my mytouch! It is much better than the G1 (which I put up with since launch - hardware wise)...

Now if only tmobile can get the Hero :laugh:

I got my mytouch for $149 + extending the contract. I had multiple multiple multiple handset replacements w/ my G1 for issues :crazy:

How did you get yours for $149???? When i try to upgrade my plan, which i am eligible now, it says is only good for $199? I want to purchase the phone but not for more than $200, which is going to be after tax. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

T-Mobile already have the Hero in the UK

How much is the Hero going for without a plan upgrade in the UK? I would like to purchase the Hero for myself and the myTouch for my wife.

Now if the Hero was purchased in the UK, would it work in the US Tmobile?

How much is the Hero going for without a plan upgrade in the UK? I would like to purchase the Hero for myself and the myTouch for my wife.

Now if the Hero was purchased in the UK, would it work in the US Tmobile?

I don't think you can get it on pay as you go yet, but you could get an unlocked phone for about ?350 off of eBay