i manually set the timings to

9-9-9

tras 24

trc 30

voltage 1.65

qpi voltage 1.35

frequency 143

with a memory multiplier of 14

currently have the cpu multiplier set to 18x small performance loss i'll contemplate if i want to overclock the cpu later thanks again guys

------------------------------

I recently bought an i7 system all is working well except i can't seem to run my memory at its rated setting (effectively i've wasted $45~ :p)

the standard XMP profile doesn't work (system does not boot at all followed by constant beeping (which according to the manual is a Power error)) i tried configuring the memory myself manually however as soon as vista loads it crashes (bsod)

i have an Antec EarthWatts 750W which is powering

Core i7 920

GTX 275

Coolermaster Haf rc-932 case

1TB samsung hard drive

6GB G.Skill-Trident 2000MHz kit

i've been browsing the internet and can't really find the information i need however i've seen alot of ex58-ud4p builds with this memory and running at 2GHz however some of them have overclocked their i7 to 4GHz

can someone provide information on how to configure this properly or give advice if it could be faulty ram or possibly my power supply (not sure how it could be that close to the edge to be killed by utilizing the memory at full speed)

thanks

the memory's model is F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

Edited by DDStriker

Hm, I did visit that page I'll give the Asus P6T settings a try and will post my results (otherwise i guess i'll make a post there :D)

cheers

Update: seems they have a manual registration queue

Edited by DDStriker

Config your Ram to the lowest Speed DDR3-1066 and do not overclock XMP profiles dont work. it will cause BSOD you will need to manually setup your ram trimmings, after your able to boot then you should config your ram and find the best over clock possible.

if you are on Vista 32BIT with more then 4gb of memory it will BSOD you will need to update to Vista SP1 for it to work with 6GB of ram.

Edited by ThehAWKs

Config your Ram to the lowest Speed DDR3-1066 and do not overclock XMP profiles dont work. it will cause BSOD you will need to manually setup your ram trimmings, after your able to boot then you should config your ram and find the best over clock possible.

if you are on Vista 32BIT with more then 4gb of memory it will BSOD you will need to update to Vista SP1 for it to work with 6GB of ram.

memory has defaulted to 1066 and is working well i disabled all overclocking features that i know off "turbo to standard etc" before applying the xmp which didn't even boot let alone bsod

i tried setting my timings manually without any success (i tried tweaking it to 1600MHZ~) i've been told to set the processor ?bclk? to 143

i will try manually configuring again to 1066 and boot if it works i'll proceed to increase (i just went straight to 1600 before)

also i'm currently on vista 64 bit although previously i was using xp 32 bit when i did most of my tests i'll perform them all again thanks for that

have you tried to change ram voltage to the rated voltage for your ram ?

come to think of it i couldn't directly set the voltage the box was greyed out even after i manually configured the timing seems the only way to hit 1.65 volts is through the xmp profile

also if i've read it correct 1600 should run with 1.5 volts but it may be unstable i'll research more into how i can set the voltages thanks

update: i completely missed the voltage section i'll try it now :D

post-121393-1249352723.jpg

Does this seem right? the memory is ment to be PC3-16000 (1000 MHz)

however the Max Bandwidth states PC3-10700H (667 MHz)

normally i'd assume thats because its currently set at that rate however its only set at 1066

so shouldn't that max be PC3-8500 (533 MHz)?

also why is the part number F3-16000CL9-2GBTD? i know its only a 2GB stick however it came in a kit which was called F3-16000CL9-6GBTD there doesn't seem to be any link between this product and its model (i could grab any F3-16000CL9-2GBTD and claim its part of a kit?)

don't really care much about the part number just the max bandwidth thing :D

cheers

also just reading the g-b ex58 compatability list it says

according to intel spec definition that xmp dimms and ddr3-1600 above are supported for one dimm per channel only

does this mean i can't get any more memory if i want to run at ddr3-2000? and meaning i could of just got 6 1333MHz modules and yielded the same performance? (64GB/sec is max?)

Edited by DDStriker

hehe well if i put 6 theres no point in using 2000MHz :p but for now 3 will do

running the clock at 2000MHz has proven unstable it crashes with a bsod STOP 0x00000124 I will try disabling the CE1 state thingy however i doubt thats the cause (i can't seem to crash it the same with stock settings)

if i can't run at 2000 i still want to atleast be able to run 1600 and yeah i advise against 2000 memory the hassle isn't worth it :p (i only grabbed it since the 1600 memory that i wanted wasn't available)

tried 1960MHz ran ok for a while however it failed on prime how can they sell memory that doesn't run to spec? is it because my voltage if off by 0.1? (its 1.64 rather then 1.65)

my regrets:

i should of looked more into the 64GB/sec limitation

and just grabbed 1333 memory with decent timings

What is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory when used with Intel? Core? i7 desktop processors?

These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1066 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz.

does this still apply to the i7 920 even after i configure to run the memory at a faster rate (and the speed is shown in cpu-z) ?

i also noticed that increasing the speed from 1333 to 1960 (a 47% increase in speed) only resulted in a 10% performance gain (using performancetest memory benchmark) for a benchmarking utility i was expecting a bit more of an increase atleast in the large ram test?

i wish someone mentioned the whole 64GB limit pointless getting more then 1333 memory if you plan to run 12 dimms etc, issue to me could of saved alot of time and mon:p :p

I said get 1600MHz in your original thread. And the limit doesn't count Intel changed the way that the memory controller works on the 920 940 950 and so on before they shipped the parts. Originally they wanted to lock the memory multiplier to get more people to buy EE editions (965, 975) but changed their minds.

1600MHz at 7-7-7-24 is the sweet spot. Current memory IC's meet those specs at 1.65v making them perfect. 2000MHz memory is unstable. And you have a Gigabyte Motherboard which is known to have RAM issues (Just saying).

Why don't you try running it at 1333 or just sending it back and getting slower memory.

I said get 1600MHz in your original thread. And the limit doesn't count Intel changed the way that the memory controller works on the 920 940 950 and so on before they shipped the parts. Originally they wanted to lock the memory multiplier to get more people to buy EE editions (965, 975) but changed their minds.

1600MHz at 7-7-7-24 is the sweet spot. Current memory IC's meet those specs at 1.65v making them perfect. 2000MHz memory is unstable. And you have a Gigabyte Motherboard which is known to have RAM issues (Just saying).

Why don't you try running it at 1333 or just sending it back and getting slower memory.

they didn't have 1600MHz memory (even then thats still overkill considering i was going for 6 of them (i also ment 6 in my last post not 12))

yes intel has unlocked it however the actual maximum appears to be 64GB/sec (over the 25GB/sec lock that was implied prior to release)

i'll try running it at 1600 7-7-7-24 my complaint is how can they sell memory for a premium thats unstable by the looks of things the G.Skill-Trident 16000 is just 1333MHz memory factory overclocked to 2000MHz 9-9-9 yet its unstable

i can't exactly proove its entirely the memorys fault otherwise i would take it back in a heart beat and wait till the right memory is available

i've also noticed no real difference in performance to 1333MHz kingston memory (as far as benchmarking software goes) which further pushes my claims of 1333MHz max (is that because the processor is being a douche or just that the memory sucks? i can't prove either one)

i don't know how friendly msy are when it comes to getting a refund in exchange for another product since this isn't running to spec i may send them an email and see what kind of response i get

i'm going to try running it at 1333/1600 and see if it passes Prime (so far its only passed prime torture test at 1066) and see where i go from there

if it fails at 1333 then i'll have a much stronger case for returning it

the 2000 was a last minute decision (a bad one at that) however you'd think they would provide some information to the consumers saying "hey its unstable and most likely won't work" if i weren't the wiser i'd be happily sitting here running my 2000MHz memory at 1066 oblivious to the fact i've wasted money on this ram that won't run to its full potential seems rather dishonest (then again they wouldn't be purchasing from msy and assembling it :p)

ahwell i'll keep updating this thread on my progress hopefully the information here will be of use to someone else one day

• 2 months later...
they didn't have 1600MHz memory (even then thats still overkill considering i was going for 6 of them (i also ment 6 in my last post not 12))

yes intel has unlocked it however the actual maximum appears to be 64GB/sec (over the 25GB/sec lock that was implied prior to release)

i'll try running it at 1600 7-7-7-24 my complaint is how can they sell memory for a premium thats unstable by the looks of things the G.Skill-Trident 16000 is just 1333MHz memory factory overclocked to 2000MHz 9-9-9 yet its unstable

i can't exactly proove its entirely the memorys fault otherwise i would take it back in a heart beat and wait till the right memory is available

i've also noticed no real difference in performance to 1333MHz kingston memory (as far as benchmarking software goes) which further pushes my claims of 1333MHz max (is that because the processor is being a douche or just that the memory sucks? i can't prove either one)

i don't know how friendly msy are when it comes to getting a refund in exchange for another product since this isn't running to spec i may send them an email and see what kind of response i get

i'm going to try running it at 1333/1600 and see if it passes Prime (so far its only passed prime torture test at 1066) and see where i go from there

if it fails at 1333 then i'll have a much stronger case for returning it

the 2000 was a last minute decision (a bad one at that) however you'd think they would provide some information to the consumers saying "hey its unstable and most likely won't work" if i weren't the wiser i'd be happily sitting here running my 2000MHz memory at 1066 oblivious to the fact i've wasted money on this ram that won't run to its full potential seems rather dishonest (then again they wouldn't be purchasing from msy and assembling it :p)

ahwell i'll keep updating this thread on my progress hopefully the information here will be of use to someone else one day

DDStriker,

The G-Skill Trident memory runs fine @ 2000MHz and beyond. You have to set your memory settings correctly in BIOS in order to get the memory to reach it's target speeds. I'm not sure what MB you're using, but memory voltage of 1.64 runs this memory just fine same as 1.65. You have to make sure your motherboard can handle the speed of the memory you are trying to reach. Some boards say 2000MHz(oc), 1800MHz(oc) and so on, but honestly I don't believe those boards where fully tested to run memory at that speed. I'm using the same memory you have and I have been able to reach over 2000MHz with timings of 8-9-8-24 using a memory divider of 2:12 and uncore of 24. Don't try these settings though because I'm using a different MB then you have completely. Honestly, if you you aren't able to reach the memory at 2000MHz I'd say it is your motherboard that is the problem here and not the memory or CPU.