• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows 7 RTM ISO Image Edition Switcher

Question

code.kliu.org    0

This is a little thing for people who download images from MSDN or TechNet. Let's say that you've downloaded the 32-bit Ultimate ISO from MSDN. For some reason, you also want the 32-bit Professional ISO. You can either sit through another download from MSDN (takes time and wastes bandwidth), or you could make a copy of your Ultimate ISO and convert that into a Professional ISO, because, except for a handful of bytes, the two are virtually identical.

This is a set of binary patches (and a tool to apply these patches) that does this conversion between RTM disc images. The converted ISO will be exactly the same as what you download from MSDN/TechNet, and the SHA-1 hashes should match those officially posted by Microsoft. And obviously, you will need to already have one of the official disc images in order to use this. It's just something to prevent unnecessary downloads and let you back up these ISO images with far less duplication of data.

Update: There is now a second, alternate utility available that "deletes" ei.cfg from the ISO image, thus converting any Windows 7 disc into a "universal" disc. It works by directly modifying the ISO's file table, so there is no need for a time-consuming extraction and rebuild (it will be done in less than a second), and the process is completely reversible. Both utilities can be found at the download link below.

Download

KZWings    6

Does that work for OEM and Retail discs?

MistaT40    2

Took a look at the DVD after - it's as if the file isn't there at all - pretty darn convenient and neat!

Gio Takahashi    29

Good for people that don't want to manually edit the ISOs themselves (by deleting ei.cfg). Nice stuff. A lot of people has been asking how to change the iso to specific editions.

However, deleting ei.cfg has its benefit: It will allow you to choose the edition you want to install during the installations. I'd imagine that would be more desirable and easier.

ChrisCanada    0

Just checked out your tool (7Zip isn't working for me on Win7 so I'm at work using it right now) and it seems like a genius idea. Does everything I need to do with ISO images config wise without installing bloated software. I suggest you use zip instead of 7zip for the packages though for better reliability.

code.kliu.org    0

Since a lot of people are interested in removing ei.cfg, I've included a new tool for that (it's in the same download package; if you've already downloaded it, just redownload it).

This will patch the ISO to disable ei.cfg. Since it's directly modifying the ISO, there is no lengthy unpacking and rebuilding, and it takes only a fraction of a second. As a bonus, if you run the utility on an ISO that had already been patched by it, it can restore the ei.cfg and return the disc image to its original state.

Andrew Lyle    337
Good for people that don't want to manually edit the ISOs themselves (by deleting ei.cfg). Nice stuff. A lot of people has been asking how to change the iso to specific editions.

However, deleting ei.cfg has its benefit: It will allow you to choose the edition you want to install during the installations. I'd imagine that would be more desirable and easier.

+1, deleting the ei.cfg is just easier and allows you to select any edition from a list.. just like the RC version did.

+Ryster    635

I'm getting "Input Error" as soon as I select the ISO file using the ei.cfg remover tool. It's the same ISO I used to install the version of Windows I'm running right now, so I know the ISO is good. FYI: I'm running Ultimate x64.

Any ideas?

code.kliu.org    0
Does this also work with localized ISO?

The ei.cfg remover should work on all ISOs.

The patches for changing editions are currently available only for the English editions (the next version will look for the patch points instead of relying on a predefined list of known patch points).

ilovetech    7

though i would personally delete ei.cfg as it gives more control, but your utility works great, & the biggest advantage is you do not need to build a new iso again if you modify it manually. the hashes matches is another advantage. it would be better if you could create a decent gui for it.

cropcircles    51

Just tried it. Amazing. Nice job. Remember to run binpatcher as administrator

I'm getting "Input Error" as soon as I select the ISO file using the ei.cfg remover tool. It's the same ISO I used to install the version of Windows I'm running right now, so I know the ISO is good. FYI: I'm running Ultimate x64.

Any ideas?

Did you run binpatcher as administrator

Gio Takahashi    29

Now that's awesome!

ImaITGuy    0

Found this tool quickly after it was posted - worked perfectly and I appreciate it!

I now have only 2 discs x86 and x64

Again Appreciate the effort in creating this tool!

Yusuf M.    1,360

If only I could have used this program three days ago. I had to re-download the 32-bit edition of Windows 7 Ultimate from TechNet to install it on my laptop. I already downloaded the 64-bit edition and I didn't have an empty external hard drive to backup my data. Oh well! This might come in handy in the future. Thanks. :)

dw2003    0

Is it possible to up convert? -- IE convert Professional to Ultimate for example -- or is it just down converting from Ultimate?

code.kliu.org    0
+1, deleting the ei.cfg is just easier and allows you to select any edition from a list.. just like the RC version did.

The Beta and RC were version-locked, too. And yea, getting rid of ei.cfg will let you select an edition, and that's one alternative way, but for people who don't want to wrestle with rebuilding the ISO or for people who want the resulting image to be bit-for-bit identical to the official ISO images (with matching SHA-1 hash), then this is the way to go. ;)

code.kliu.org    0
I suggest you use zip instead of 7zip for the packages though for better reliability.

Reliability? No, 7zip is perfectly reliable. But okay, I do recognize that (sadly) many people do not have 7zip on their systems, so I've changed it to zip...

Orien    1
Since a lot of people are interested in removing ei.cfg, I've included a new tool for that (it's in the same download package; if you've already downloaded it, just redownload it).

This will patch the ISO to disable ei.cfg. Since it's directly modifying the ISO, there is no lengthy unpacking and rebuilding, and it takes only a fraction of a second. As a bonus, if you run the utility on an ISO that had already been patched by it, it can restore the ei.cfg and return the disc image to its original state.

Definitely very handy feature to add - thanks.

button4ever    0

Does this also work with localized ISO?

Gio Takahashi    29

The ISO of each editions are pretty much identical with the exception of ei.cfg.

Gio Takahashi    29

I think I might just go with this so I can make the "master copy DVD" that I was talking about earlier. Saves the hassle!

code.kliu.org    0
The ISO of each editions are pretty much identical with the exception of ei.cfg.

Yes, of course. That's what makes this even possible. :p

dw2003    0

Brilliant tools works perfectly :) thanks

bcl    0

I deleted ei.cfg from the iso image and created a new one.

I burnt the iso on diffrent dvds, and diffrent dvd burners with slow speeds but i still get an error.

When the dvd boots it first asks me to chose the language and keyboard.

After then i get another screen saying "install now"

After that i get error saying "cannot find win image"

what am i doing wrong?

powerade01    0

Why doesnt this tool just delete the ei.cfg and thats it?

J400uk    1

Can't this to work on the RTM ISO. Is there some new method?