• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 - 64 bit or 32 bit?

mattbonner    1

Looking forward to upgrading to Windows 7, but I still haven't decided on which version (64bit or 32bit) to install.

Currently I have 3GB and have no plans in the near future to add more.

I have read that people with 2GB RAM and less should stick with 32bit due to the overhead/increased memory/disk space usage of 64bit. I have also read that people with 4GB RAM and more should go 64bit in order to utilize all of their memory.

Where does that leave me?

kimsland    2

64-Bit

May as well be up with the times ;)

There have been a number of threads at Neowin forums on this, in your case 64-Bit would work well

notuptome2004    175
Looking forward to upgrading to Windows 7, but I still haven't decided on which version (64bit or 32bit) to install.

I have read that people with 2GB RAM and less should stick with 32bit due to the overhead/increased memory/disk space usage of 64bit. I have also read that people with 4GB RAM and more should go 64bit in order to utilize all of their memory.

add m ore ram to your system it is cheap now why not go for more your system then with 64bit will be much faster special when multitasking and doing gaming or what ever ya may do or so

c3i89g    4

My only hang up on moving to 64-bit is that my workplace's VPN client doesn't work on 64-bit. So, check your applications' compatibility.

Orien    1

If you don't plan on going over 3GB anytime soon, you can just get 32bit.

Migra    4

I simply can't install x64, after the first reboot comes the BSOD and there's no way to get it fixed or workarounded, unless I install x32 (yeah I know it's x86), I've been googling and nothing! So I decided to keep the x86 one, That problem exist since the Beta, RC wasn't solved and "RTM" still has it, x86 works good but I'd love to use x64, so I still love my Mac and use windows from time to time to laugh of M$ XD

GenBlood    0

If you don't plan on upgrading the memory for this system. You might

just stick with the 32 bit version. I have 3 systems I'm planning on

upgrading to Windows 7 .. I'm upgrading 1 system to the 32 bit an

the other 2 systems will get the 64 bit version ..

The reason I'm going to the 64 bit version is I have 8 GB DDR2 on

those systems and the other only has 2 GB ...

Also, most apps and games are still 32 bit too ...

joker999    50
I simply can't install x64, after the first reboot comes the BSOD and there's no way to get it fixed or workarounded, unless I install x32 (yeah I know it's x86), I've been googling and nothing! So I decided to keep the x86 one, That problem exist since the Beta, RC wasn't solved and "RTM" still has it, x86 works good but I'd love to use x64, so I still love my Mac and use windows from time to time to laugh of M$ XD

Your cpu support 64bit?

ps: whats cpu you have?

kimsland    2
I simply can't install x64, after the first reboot comes the BSOD and there's no way to get it fixed or workarounded

Have you informed MS of this issue?

Wait there is no issue.. As long as your computer model can support 64-Bit drivers then I can't see why its failing with a clean install, unless there are other factors present (additional hardware, or partition faulty, that type of thing)

Do you want MS or Mac? You need to make your mind up.

Edit:

Hey, Migra you are not the original OP

Orien    1
Your cpu support 64bit?

ps: whats cpu you have?

The install shouldn't even start if the CPU isn't 64bit.

Q    0
Also, most apps and games are still 32 bit too ...

So what? 32-bit code runs on 64-bit processors (except IA64 architecture of course).

mattbonner    1

well at the moment i have no plans to upgrade

but if i were to upgrade, i'd only be able to upgrade from 3GB to 4GB (limited by chipset, this is a notebook btw)

kimsland    2

3Gig is enough

If you want to go higher then buy a computer that can take 6gig, otherwise stay with 3gig (as you want to)

mattbonner    1
3Gig is enough

If you want to go higher then buy a computer that can take 6gig, otherwise stay with 3gig (as you want to)

from the replies in this thread, it seems that with 3GB I can't go wrong either way with 32bit/64bit?

if that's the case i think im just going to go with 32bit to save myself the trouble of downloading drivers again. unless there are other benefits of 64bit that i don't know about, any new applications that utilize it, etc..

kimsland    2
64bit will be much faster special when multitasking and doing gaming or what ever ya may do or so
Next version of Windows is confirmed to be 64-bit only

Subject Delta    108

I'd go with the X64 edition, things like Patchguard increase security, and also you get added benefit from X64 game engines

Gio Takahashi    29

I have 2 gigabytes of ram and has been using 64 bit since vista. Unless you, in rare cases, have incompatibility issues, go with 64 bit.

Darrian    269

64-bit, unless you have a ridiculously tiny hard drive or an old processor. There's really no valid reason to run 32-bit anymore.

Yusuf M.    1,364

Do you have a 64-bit CPU? If so, then install the 64-bit edition of Windows 7.

ilovetech    7

i am using x64 edition with 2gigs of ram & i haven't seen any performance issue to make me go back to x86. infact, at times 64bit native apps run more snappier than 32bit counterparts. so for anything above 2gb, go x64.

Daniel.    0

Quick question, I have my games installed on a separate partition to the OS, so effectively I can upgrade my OS without having to install my games again. (I've done this through several XP installs and the games have never complained so I assume they don't add anything to the registry.)

I'm on 32-bit XP at the moment and I'm looking to upgrade (clean install) to 64-bit Windows 7.

Will my (32-bit) games still run fine without reinstalling them?

Scorbing    517

It's a no-brainer dude. Go 64 bit.

kimsland    2

Many "StandAlone" games do not require any Registry entry

But Most games do

I would think that some will not work after a clean install

The Patri0t    0

64bit, I won't look back at 32bit.

mattbonner    1

alright 64 bit it is!

thanks guys

think ill start hunting down drivers now :)