UFC 106

A bout that UFC president Dana White in July mentioned as possible is apparently now official as reports have surfaced that Tito Ortiz (15-6-1 MMA, 14-6-1 UFC) will meet Mark Coleman (16-9 MMA, 7-4 UFC) at UFC 106.

Fighters Only magazine was the first to report the deal as complete, citing sources close to Coleman, and MMA Authentics executive Mike DiSabato, a sponsor of "The Hammer's," has since posted additional confirmation on his Twitter account.

UFC 106 is scheduled for Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The bout will be Ortiz's first since May 2008, a period marked by often-malicious negotiating tactics by both the "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" and the UFC. The popular Ortiz will be seeking his first win since an October 2006 TKO of Ken Shamrock. The 34-year-old has gone 0-2-1 since that win, suffering losses to Chuck Liddell and Lyoto Machida while settling for a draw against Rashad Evans.

Coleman will be looking to build on a July win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100. The victory was Coleman's first since a February 2006 win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua under the PRIDE banner ? and his first in the UFC's octagon since a February 1997 submission win over fellow UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn.

Ortiz's return to the UFC was officially announced in a July media call, at which point the former champion said he and White had forever put their differences aside.

"Dana came to me ... and apologized to me," Ortiz said. "For me personally it was about competition. (The UFC) is the best show in the world. That's why I'm here."

Source: MMA Junkie[/b]b>

Edited by Rappy

Glad to see him back in the Octagon. However, he really should be fighting someone better than Mark Coleman. I mean, the guy is way past it. If Shogun wasn't so poor in their last fight, it would have been over a lot quicker!

The long-rumored Tito Ortiz (15-6-1 MMA, 14-6-1 UFC) vs. Mark Coleman (16-9 MMA, 7-4 UFC) bout is apparently close to finalized for November's UFC 106 card.

Ortiz, a formerly estranged ex-UFC champion who ultimately made up with UFC president Dana White and re-signed with the organization in July, recently posted a video of him signing and faxing his bout agreement for the fight.

UFC 106 takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and features a pay-per-view main event between UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar and contender Shane Carwin.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this month that the matchup, first mentioned by White as a likely option during UFC 101 media events, was in the works.

Ortiz returns to competition for the first since May 2008, when he suffered a decision loss to Lyoto Machida. The fighter, often at odds with the UFC and specifically White, over the past year has said he was close to signing a contract with organizations ranging from Affliction to Strikeforce to EliteXC. Ultimately, though, he returned to the UFC.

The popular fighter, who's recovering from recent back surgery, seeks his first win since an October 2006 TKO of Ken Shamrock. The 34-year-old has gone 0-2-1 since that victory with losses to Chuck Liddell and Machida and a draw with Rashad Evans.

"You don't know how I excited I am for this fight," Ortiz said in the video. "It's my comeback fight. It's Mark Coleman, former world heavyweight champion. If you guys pay close attention, when I beat Evan Tanner (in 2001), and after I slammed [him] on his head, I jumped up on the octagon. And I flexed to the audience.

"Mark Coleman jumped up on the side of the cage, and you could see the disgust on his face. So I think Mark Coleman has had a little hatred for me for a while. ... Now he gets his chance."

Coleman, meanwhile, looks to build off his July win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100. The victory was Coleman's first since a February 2006 win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua under the PRIDE banner ? and his first in the UFC's octagon since a February 1997.

Coleman, a UFC hall of famer who turns 45 later this year, recently moved his training camp to Las Vegas and told MMAjunkie.com his conditioning is its best in years.

Source: MMA Junkie

• 3 weeks later...

Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman official for UFC 106

With tickets set to go on sale for UFC 106 later this week, the organization today announced the first two bouts for the Nov. 21 event.

As was previously reported, UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) meets top challenger Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC), while UFC veterans Tito Ortiz (15-6-1 MMA, 14-6-1 UFC) and Mark Coleman (16-9 MMA, 7-4 UFC) meet in a light-heavyweight contest.

"UFC 106: Lesnar vs. Carwin" takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card airs live on pay per view.

The main event is Lesnar's first title defense after unifying the UFC's heavyweight belts with a UFC 100 win over then-interim champ Frank Mir.

Meanwhile, Carwin will seek his 12th-straight win in addition to the UFC's heavyweight title. The 34-year-old has yet to fight longer than 2:11 in any bout.

Ortiz announced his intentions to fight Coleman in August when he posted a video of him signing and faxing his bout agreement for the fight. The 34-year-old fights for the first time since a May 2008 decision loss to Lyoto Machida.

Coleman, meanwhile, looks to build off his July win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100. The victory was Coleman's first since a February 2006 win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua under the PRIDE banner ? and his first in the UFC's octagon since February 1997.

Tickets for UFC 106 are scheduled to go on sale to the general public on Saturday, Sept. 19, at Ticketmaster.com, while UFC Fight Club members will have the first shot at tickets on Thursday, Sept. 17.

• 1 month later...
Ortiz isn't fighting Coleman anymore. If I remember correctly he'll be fighting Forrest Griffin instead.

yeah I forgot to update the thread!

Brock Lesnar pulls out of UFC 106 title defense with Shane Carwin due to illness

An illness has forced UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) out of the UFC 106 main event and a planned title fight with Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC).

The news was first reported by Yahoo! Sports, and a source within Carwin's camp confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they were aware of the change.

According to the report, which stated Lesnar has been sick and unable to train for nearly a month, the UFC has not determined a replacement fight to headline the show, which takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

UFC 106 is one of the deeper cards of the year with former UFC light heavyweight champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin slotted in the night's co-main event. The bout could take the top spot if a suitable replacement fight can't be booked.

The scrapped main event was supposed to serve as Lesnar's first title defense since unifying the UFC's heavyweight belts with a UFC 100 win over then-interim champ Frank Mir. Lesnar won the title with a November 2008 victory over then-champ Randy Couture.

Carwin, meanwhile, looked to claim his 12th straight win at UFC 106. The 34-year-old has yet to fight longer than two minutes and 11 seconds in any bout. He had posted swift UFC victories over Christian Wellisch, Neil Wain and Gabriel Gonzaga to earn the title shot.

While his resume surely warrants title consideration, Carwin helped his case in landing the title shot by publicly criticizing Lesnar's controversial post-fight comments following UFC 100. Following a rant in which Lesnar scoffed at fans and UFC sponsors alike, Carwin hit social networking sites and conducted many interviews in which he condemned the actions of the former WWE superstar.

Soon after news of the cancellation came out, Carwin posted a simple message on his Twitter account: "Very disappointing."

The latest UFC 106 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Shane Carwin vs. TBA

* Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

* Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira*

* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah

* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders

* Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt

* Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson*

* Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann*

* Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno*

* Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos

Damn, I was really looking forward to this fight! I think they should take Carwin off the card too and reschedule the fight for a later date. Really wanna see Lesnar finally take on someone his own size! :p

Lesnar against someone his own size? Will it ever happen? I know MMA/UFC is not WWE, but...

Brock is the fighting equivalent of a bully. He fights smaller opponents, because he can use his size and strength. When it comes to an even match, his lack of skill and arrogance let him down. He is oftn out of his depth...

Lesnar against someone his own size? Will it ever happen? I know MMA/UFC is not WWE, but...

Brock is the fighting equivalent of a bully. He fights smaller opponents, because he can use his size and strength. When it comes to an even match, his lack of skill and arrogance let him down. He is oftn out of his depth...

Well, Shane Carwin pretty much is of similar build, so yes, it will be a very interesting match up when it does happen!

Thing is with Brock, a lot of people REALLY dislike him. I mean REALLY REALLY. Be it because of his WWE background, his attitude, whatever - he really incites a deeling of dislike - not storyline dislike in WWE, but real dislike. Which makes him quite a draw.

Thing is with Brock, a lot of people REALLY dislike him. I mean REALLY REALLY. Be it because of his WWE background, his attitude, whatever - he really incites a deeling of dislike - not storyline dislike in WWE, but real dislike. Which makes him quite a draw.

Yeah I am not the biggest fan but what he does in the cage is get the business done

• 2 weeks later...

"UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II" fight card official with 11 bouts

The existing "UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II" fight card is complete as is with a total of 11 bouts.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Monday confirmed the fight card is official.

UFC 106, headlined by a light heavyweight rematch between former UFC champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin, takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The night's five-fight main card airs on pay-per-view.

UFC 106 was initially expected to feature a heavyweight title fight between champion Brock Lesnar and top contender Shane Carwin. Lesnar, though, recently bowed out of the fight with an illness, and the fight tentatively has been moved to the 2010 calendar.

Once Ortiz vs. Griffin (originally scheduled as the co-headliner) was moved to the main event slot, UFC officials booked a new co-main event between top welterweight contenders Anthony Johnson and Josh Koscheck.

The full UFC 106 lineup includes:

* Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

* Anthony Johnson vs. Josh Koscheck

* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah

* Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders

* Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann

* Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt

* Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson

* Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno

* Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos

What exactly are you basing that on? He has only had 5 fights. I have not seen him out of his depth against any of his opponents and that even includes his loss to Mir where he was looking just fine till he was caught in that leg lock. Heath Herring was nearly the same size as Brock and Lesnar dominated him for the entire fight. Randy Couture does not exactly have a problem taking on opponents bigger than himself and was handled quite well by Lesnar. The last Mir fight, well Mir never really was in that fight. He fights smaller opponents because that is all there is. There are only a few guys out there his same size. Additionally he is fighting the guys UFC puts in front of him. They are making the match ups. Let's also not forget this guy has a very good collegiate wrestling background. He is not just a muscle bound dude with size. It is a good bet that he is going to be on top for a long while yet.

i am taking johnson over koschek and griffin taking tito... griffin better hope it stays stand up though, and same with johnson.

I hope Johnson and Griffin win.. but I dunno, Griffin hasn't been too hot lately..

Johnson on the other hand is on fire.

Amir Sadollah showed total ownage in that fight. That 3rd round was just total devestation!

Who the hell decides Submission of the Night? Sure Koscheck's Rear Naked Choke was good, but Sotiropoulos' Arm Bar was picture perfect, complete textbook. Definitely should have got Submission of the night!

As for Tito/Forrest, bring on the rubber. Another very close split decision, could have gone either way again.

lol at Mazzagatti looking business like in the shirt! Read another humourous rant by Dana White, where he says:

"That referee has no business being in this business"

Oh, and Yves Lavigne and Dan Miragliotta are so much better? Yeah... right! :rolleyes:

Never seen Little Nog before, but that was a very impressive debut. Can't wait to see his next fight!