Windows 7 l Must have Tweak l Optimise your Hard Drive Speed

Open Device Manager, select your Hard Drive Properties. Now select policies tab. Ensure you ahve both of these ticked

zIS.jpg

Once done, click ok to save changes

You will notice an instant speed boost

Another tip is to disable NCQ on SATA Controller!!

It may increase system performance, but it will increase your chances of losing data should you have a power outage.

Unless you have a reliable UPS, use with caution.

Yeh true,

But in UK we hardly have power outages, also forgot to mention laptop users should not really apply this tweak

Heh! I live in London (in the Olympic Borough!) and you should see the fluctuations we get. I've complained to EDF to fix their substation for months!

Yeah, this is definitely BS. Mulkman, you should go work for one of the companies that sells junk software advertising instant PC fixes. INSTANT SPEED BOOST!! MUST HAVE HD PERFORMANCE TWEAKS!!! GIMME 5 DOLLARS!! NO, WAIT...GIMME $19.95!!

I ran HD Tune with the default setting and after selecting Turnoff Buffer Flushing. The result, I see improvement, not very high but its there:

post-23116-1250709865.png

Turnoff Buffer Flushing Selected

post-23116-1250709880.png

I also want to know, when it says there is possibility of corrupting the data/losing the data. It means the data which is currently being written/worked on, correct? For example if there is nothing running except the usual background services and a download manager through which I am downloading some file and there's an outage, highly unlikely since this is a laptop. Then what is going to get lost? The file being downloaded?

Is there any fear of a corrupt Windows?

As most people have said here.. I would advise NOT to do that. If your computer locks up, You lose power... etc.. It will leave you at a much higher chance of losing data and corrupting your windows install. So if you've selected that.... The performance increase is hardly worth the risk.

This is not a must have tweak nor will it optimize any hard drive speed.

This thread should be closed.

Above post makes no sense.

This is a "GREAT" tweak for those that have (which I assume most have) a UPC.

I've noticed my overall benchmarks, and hard drive bench marks go up with using this tweak....and have used it since I was using Vista.

I've noticed my overall benchmarks, and hard drive bench marks go up with using this tweak....and have used it since I was using Vista.

Is there any fear of corrupting Windows in case of a power failure etc.?

I Think you mean UPS? and no most people do not have them, Unless you're talking about Laptops.

Is there any fear of corrupting Windows in case of a power failure etc.?

Yes, If you do not shut down properly there is always a risk of Data loss.

Uhhh... Write-caching is not a feature of Windows 7, it has been around since XP, probably earlier than that.

If you want a noticable HDD improvement, upgrade to a 10,000 RPM drive.

I use this tweak for years, and never had any problems with data corruption, even though I've experienced a lot of power outages. Hell, I used to even do a hard shutdown of my system because Vista would take too long :p . I guess I'm lucky?!

I use this tweak for years, and never had any problems with data corruption, even though I've experienced a lot of power outages. Hell, I used to even do a hard shutdown of my system because Vista would take too long :p . I guess I'm lucky?!

Haha. I guess you are quite the lucky one :D

Not sure exactly how relevant it is but I actually get better performance with this setting DISABLED on my SSD. Now, my SSD is an older edition (OCZ Apex) so it has no built-in cache, but I ran with these settings enabled on a fresh install of W7 Ultimate RTM and had a few performance issues (as well as WEI rating my SSD at 5.9).

Upon installing W7 Professional I disabled this option completely, my SSD shot up to 6.7 in WEI, and I have not see any performance issues I had when I had the option enabled.

I can assure you this tweak does work, maybe after retstart. I will post some screenshots on benchmark tommorrow.

Yes Zoom7000, I live near stratford around 5mins away actually in Leytonstone.

I havent yet expereinced any outtages for around 2 years

This is not a must have tweak nor will it optimize any hard drive speed.

This thread should be closed.

This is exactly why the discussion should keep going ;) so people know why you may think this way so that they can make up their own mind.

I can assure you this tweak does work, maybe after retstart. I will post some screenshots on benchmark tommorrow.

Yes Zoom7000, I live near stratford around 5mins away actually in Leytonstone.

I havent yet expereinced any outtages for around 2 years

I posted benchmark for my WD3200BEVT, shall be waiting for yours :).

and can someone explain in a little detail what turning this off means. This buffer is the one they have in the hard drive it self? 8MB/16MB etc.

Uhhh... Write-caching is not a feature of Windows 7, it has been around since XP, probably earlier than that.

If you want a noticable HDD improvement, upgrade to a 10,000 RPM drive.

+1 ;)

Do not do any of these "tweaks."

Some of them, in certain scenarios, can artifically inflate synthetic benchmark numbers. But you will actually *hinder* real world performance if you disable caching or NCQ, or put your data at risk if you disable buffer flushing.