Small Gnome Menu Icons

I found a trick that will work for all themes, instead of editing each individual theme's file. Create a file called .gtkrc-2.0 in your home folder, and add the line:

gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=16,16"

where 16,16 can be changed to whatever size you want your icons. You have to be using a GTK2.0 theme.

Thanks to megamanXplosion for posting the original trick.

Here is a screenshot of my menu after the file has been created.

post-46085-1250899033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to be a complete downer but...

This doesn't work for me. I followed the steps, checked, double-checked, had a cookie, then checked a third time. No such luck. Icons stay the same size. The cookie was good though.

Can anyone confirm this works in Karmic Koala? In fact, Anyone know of a way to get rid of the icons entirely? I don't like them in my menu. It's like having your Mother-in-law in the room as you make love to your wife. Horrible invasion of privacy.

I can't really remember how I got it to take on the default (human) theme, I've been using Openbox for a few months now...I think you have to change metacity( window border) themes to jump start it, and just change back to the one your were wanting to modify. Try that and see if it helps.

You can always edit the gtkrc file for the theme itself.

Just go to the theme folder open up the gtkrc file and look for the gtk-icon-sizes line. Then edit or add the panel-menu option.

You can always edit the gtkrc file for the theme itself.

Just go to the theme folder open up the gtkrc file and look for the gtk-icon-sizes line. Then edit or add the panel-menu option.

Creating this file keeps you from having to edit the individual theme file.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm extremely late to reply but the alternative suggestion works wonderfully with the themes that don't like the first suggestion. If that makes any sense. Basically, I got it to work. Thank you. Very smooth having the small icons!

i use this line, makes all the other icons small too.

gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-large-toolbar=16,16:gtk-small-toolbar=16,16:panel-menu=16,16:gtk-button=16,16"

i use this line, makes all the other icons small too.

gtk-icon-sizes = "gtk-large-toolbar=16,16:gtk-small-toolbar=16,16:panel-menu=16,16:gtk-button=16,16"

Nice - I'll have to give that a shot.