DVD Games?

Hmm, when are those DVD-rom games coming?

The only "Software" I have on DVD isn't even M$-Windows based,

it's SUSE-LINUX Professional DVD-ROM 7.2 :)

Most games nowadays already need more than 1 CD-rom, Emperor Battle for Dune for example takes 4 CD's. Not to mention the good old wing-commander series.

• 2 weeks later...

Both Baldur's Gate games were released on both DVD and multiple CD's, but that's about all the games I recall on DVD. DVD drives just aren't common enough. I have 3 computers and only 1 has a DVD drive... which just isn't enough to warrant a release on DVD. :(

-mortensenj

• 2 weeks later...

I have Baldurs gate on DVD and was a fan of the wing commander series collecting WC IIV WC IV and WC Prophercy

What I would have given to have them on DVDs...4CDs for WC IIV and IV and 3 for Prophercy Thats all too much as well as having those stupid little plastic walets to put them in!

Even though all the new puters come with them, a lot of people don't want a the dvd roms, they take cd burners so they can burn their mp3's (which is like so true).

I'm one to build my own computers and I have a dvd rom (2x, old) and i'd like to see some dvd rom games. I think it's sad when even a company doesn't get with the times. Who cares if someone doesn't have a dvd rom, they'll buy one. They don't care when it comes to graphics. They make graphics so high now I bet my v3 3k won't even run most games in the next 2 years (thats how long i'll probably have it).

• 3 weeks later...

Can't imagine games will ever come to DVD any time soon, but who knows with the new DX9 plans. (64bit color and stuff)

You might need a DVD just to store all the textures and a Grafix card to match. ;)

yeh Carmack's been talkin about higher colour bits, and as usual, they will follow :D

does anyone know how its gonna work - how much of the bits will be dedicated to colour, and how much will be dedicated to the alpha channel?

I don't know if all the bits represent color, maybe also some (bump) 3D information.

You can't distinguish more than a couple of million colors anyway.

btw, when you need more colors your monitor stil has to support them . right?