When I played EVE, I felt like I was a part of the world. When I play STO, I feel like I'm playing a really good Star Trek game (despite it being minimally fleshed out). I will say STO is ten times more fun than EVE, but ten times less immersive.

When I played EVE, I felt like I was a part of the world. When I play STO, I feel like I'm playing a really good Star Trek game (despite it being minimally fleshed out). I will say STO is ten times more fun than EVE, but ten times less immersive.

Ya thats how I feel. I really want STO to be immersive, but I still get the whole one path to take, offline game kinda vibe.

Ya thats how I feel. I really want STO to be immersive, but I still get the whole one path to take, offline game kinda vibe.

I have to agree. While I did play Eve for 4 years, I got bored of it and it turned out to be either grinding for ISK or the BLOB warfare. When I first started playing it was great and really immersive. Now I want a more casual game, and Eve simply isn't that.

STO, for me, seems to be what I am looking for. But it does feel rushed, but then again most PC games feel that way and there is always a patch to get :p I'm happy to play for the 1st month as I pre-ordered, and take it from there and see what happens.

I have to agree. While I did play Eve for 4 years, I got bored of it and it turned out to be either grinding for ISK or the BLOB warfare. When I first started playing it was great and really immersive. Now I want a more casual game, and Eve simply isn't that.

STO, for me, seems to be what I am looking for. But it does feel rushed, but then again most PC games feel that way and there is always a patch to get :p I'm happy to play for the 1st month as I pre-ordered, and take it from there and see what happens.

eve is as casual as you make it ;)

but onto sto, for an IP like startrek they seem to have ruined it imo - it could have been so much if it was made as a sandbox, the relentless instancing break imersion so much and frankly the load screens every minute or so **** me off.

Could have been so much, had it not been handed to the "copy pasta" mmo company - it is simply a reskin of COH/COVChampion online, i mean i enjoy playing it when i fancy a break from eve, but i have no intentions of buying the game now - the gameplay is just too gated

I have to disagree, Eve is not casual in any way, show me a lvl4 combat mission I could do in 1 hour? Not using a Golem and officer mods.

Anyway, don't want to turn this into a Eve discussion. For me STO is simply something I can jump on to for 30mins to 12hrs if I want. I can walk away at anytime, I can PvP in a balance side 10 vs 10 etc..(once ships get properly balanced of course :p ) and no, I can't do this in WoW as it bores me to tears. I'm a sci-fi guy not troll fantasy :)

I'm not saying the game is perfect and problem free, Cryptic have 1 month, from launch, to keep me interested in signing up for the sub. If the beta wasn't so bad, I would have tried to shell out for the lifetime sub, but right now I can't see me paying for it.

If you have having Stuttering problems with an Nvidia GPU, yesterday Nvidia releaced a new pair of Beta Drivers that fix's it

I have to admit that I never really had high hopes for this game from seeing the screenshots a few months ago. And as more and more information came out about the game I kept my anticipation at a solidly low level.

After trying the beta I'd have to say that those instincts that this game wouldn't be anything special were right on the money. (N) If I had to describe the game in a sentence that would be 'Another unimaginative MMO cashing in on an existing IP brining little to the genre'

Champions online in space.

Cryptic just wants to cash in on the Star Trek fan base it seems. I really hope this is the game that sends cryptic under. The only thing they have ever been good for is their character creation systems.

anyone think the inside of the ships look really bad? all the rooms, corridors are way too wide and high. Also what is with the UFP logo on the ship hulls? and vapor trails? seriously? So many bad things in the game, I don't remember the ships being so empty and dull looking. It's like walking around a warehouse when you board a ship. I was pretty dissapointed when I arrived at the space dock and instead found some crappy looking space station that looked nothing like the spacedock from the tv series or the movies.

I know the game is set in the future but everything I've seen sofar looks cheesy and bad. Not impressed at all. I know it's still beta, but it was not quite what I was expecting.

anyone think the inside of the ships look really bad? all the rooms, corridors are way too wide and high. Also what is with the UFP logo on the ship hulls? and vapor trails? seriously? So many bad things in the game, I don't remember the ships being so empty and dull looking. It's like walking around a warehouse when you board a ship. I was pretty dissapointed when I arrived at the space dock and instead found some crappy looking space station that looked nothing like the spacedock from the tv series or the movies.

I know the game is set in the future but everything I've seen sofar looks cheesy and bad. Not impressed at all. I know it's still beta, but it was not quite what I was expecting.

^This. I would rather play some crappy free MMO like Cabal online than this....

The "Big Patch" is out today @ just over 700Mb, I won't be able to try it out till tonight....just hope it fixes alot of holes :)

Awesome, is it already available for download? If so I am going to call my wife and go ahead and get her to start the update for me

Ya, I've noticed they didn't put much work into the game, or so it seems. :/

Ya, I've noticed they didn't put much work into the game, or so it seems. :/

Thank god there are still some old trek games that are still fun to play and are accurate in the recreation of various elements of the trek universe.

Elite Force 1 & 2 - Dominion Wars - DS9 The Fallen - Star Fleet Academy - Klingon Academy - Bridge Commander - Star Trek Armada 1 & 2 - Starfleet Command

I could mention Legacy but that was bad, other than nice looking ships, the game was boring.

Star Trek Bridge commander is by far IMO the best star trek game. Its unfortunate it has a massive memory leak that will never get patched. But the support for mods and additions is simply amazing in that game.

Just an FYI, the patch is only about 215 megs or so, not 700 megs. The patch PATCHES about 790 megs of files. It's just like the Champions Online patcher, no one has figured out that one yet either lol

The game is MUCH better now though, I'll tell you that much.

Star Trek Bridge commander is by far IMO the best star trek game. Its unfortunate it has a massive memory leak that will never get patched. But the support for mods and additions is simply amazing in that game.

I wouldn't call it the best trek game, elite force 1&2 / ds9 the fallen have to be the best imo. Amazing level design, true to the series.

Just an FYI, the patch is only about 215 megs or so, not 700 megs. The patch PATCHES about 790 megs of files. It's just like the Champions Online patcher, no one has figured out that one yet either lol

The game is MUCH better now though, I'll tell you that much.

Better how? Explain.

<!--quoteo(post=592137066:date=Jan 21 2010, 12:16:name=LOC)--><div class='quotetop'>Quote - (LOC @ Jan 21 2010, 12:16) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=592137066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just an FYI, the patch is only about 215 megs or so, not 700 megs. The patch PATCHES about 790 megs of files. It's just like the Champions Online patcher, no one has figured out that one yet either lol

The game is MUCH better now though, I'll tell you that much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better how? Explain.

The game runs much better (performance wise). There are actual loading screens now (I know, not a big deal but for a game that's about to launch....). Combat on the ground feels better, and is easier at lower levels the way it should be lol. The icons for stuff in your inventory are actually icons from the game now instead of recycled Champions Online icons. Many of the bugs and issues I saw have been fixed (your mileage will vary on this one of couse). Ships you face in space combat don't rape you anymore at lower levels (or higher levels I guess).

Just overall it's a polish patch I guess, a nice pass over before launch to fix alot of issues people reported/they knew about.

The new patch is quite good. well provided they fixed the falling in space bug today :p

I'm not happy with the new battery icond though. the old ones that where just swirls of different colors made it instantly clear that red was weapons, blue was shield, yellow was general and green was engines. the new ones, you have no idea what each one is, yeah, sure they're pretties, but they're utterly useless in a combat situation.

anyway, Any Neowin fleet up and running yet ?