Partition?

I keep hearing: "Always install XP on its own partition." and "Use a FAT32 file system."

#1- How do you install it on its own partition?

#2- Does WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION allow you to use FAT32? I heard somewhere only Pro does.

Thanks for any help.

You would either need to create a new partition, preferablly with something like partition magic so as not to upset your existing data, or upgrade over an existing OS that had been installed in its own partition, i.e. Win9x, or WinME.

As far as the home editition not supporting FAT32, I would be extremely suprised if it didnt, as NTFS is generally considered useful for a business environment, and personally I found it to be slower than FAT32 for Win2000 and XP, but I can not confirm that

Yes, partition magic can split pre-existing partitions into multiple parts, but there is actually a free alternative.

Called FIPS, and it actually works rather well. Its DOS based, works on fat16 and fat32, and i've used it for quite a while without any mishaps.

Additional information on FIPS can be found at http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

Hope that helps.