What to know when buying a 1080P Projector?

I'm thinking about buying a Projector to replace my TV.

But I know absolutely nothing about Projectors. I know that they are small and project light but thats about it I don't know a good one from a bad one. I intend to use it with my current 5.1 Surround sound system which includes an Amp by Sony which has 3 HDMI inputs (1 out) with pass through of High Definition 1080p video. I currently use this with my TV.

My budget for this is anywhere from ?1 to ?800 I suppose that would be good enough for a decent one? My only real requirement is that it can do 1080p and has HDMI or DVI input so that I can use it with my existing AMP.

So what I'm looking for is basically suggestions on what are good projectors and also what are good things to look for when purchasing a projector. And finally are there any drawbacks from using projectors such as frequent hardware maintenance or poor colour reproduction things like that.

I did hit up Google but it was difficult to find general information that was up to date and not just a shopping site trying to sell something so I once again return the Neowin community for up to date information.

Thanks for any replies they are greatly appreciate:):)

For your budget I doubt you will be able to get a 1080p projector. I personally have a 720p projector and it looks great. I was looking at some 1080p projectors and they were just starting to be around the $1500 price range, and thats in the US, so I am sure they would be much more where you are. Also, the high quality projectors are not always from the same name brands you would see in other display devices, for example Marantz, BenQ, Optoma, Epson, Infocus, and Sanyo are all name brands in the projector world. So when looking at them dont be turned off by the name. Samsung and Sony do make some good projectors, but their product lines are not as extensive as the others. Things you will want to look at are lumens, DLP/LCD, noise since some can be pretty loud, lamp life, throw distance, and lens shift.

As for maintenance if you plan to keep it awhile you will have to change the lamp depending on how much and how bright you use it, in most cases you are better off just upgrading to a new projector. When it comes to color and picture repoduction they do very good, you screen can make a big difference though, when people come over and see it they wont even notice its a projector at first and will think its a 100" tv.

here is a video for you

Thank you reidtheweed. All good information. Perhaps I should increase my budget a bit. Lets say ?1500 aka $2,400 USD

I'll check out that video now.

you may not have to really increase your budget that much, some new lower priced 1080p's came out in the last month for around $1,000. The only problem is you wont find very many reviews right now.

Is there any specific models you would recommend that came out recently?

The one in the video 'Epson Home Cinema 6500 UB' looked like a good one from what the guy was saying and the picture quality did look quite nice although I'm not sure how good a judge a compressed Youtube video is haha

If it's not DLP, it's not worth getting... DLP looks so much better then LCD projection

well if we are going to talk about quality, then it doesnt get better than CRT, but those are like 400lbs.

Is there any specific models you would recommend that came out recently?

The one in the video 'Epson Home Cinema 6500 UB' looked like a good one from what the guy was saying and the picture quality did look quite nice although I'm not sure how good a judge a compressed Youtube video is haha

I havnt looked at the 1080p projectors very in-depth so I cant really recommend which one to buy, but www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorpeople.com are good sites to visit.

well if we are going to talk about quality, then it doesnt get better than CRT, but those are like 400lbs.

I havnt looked at the 1080p projectors very in-depth so I cant really recommend which one to buy, but www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorpeople.com are good sites to visit.

What does a CRT have to do with projection? *scratches head*

What does a CRT have to do with projection? *scratches head*

Just like how you have LCD and DLP projectors you can get a CRT projector. Some CRT projectors can go up to 2560p, and they are over 5 years old and some still cost nearly $10,000.

Just like how you have LCD and DLP projectors you can get a CRT projector. Some CRT projectors can go up to 2560p, and they are over 5 years old and some still cost nearly $10,000.

Can't say i've ever seen one, honestly, I've seen LCD, DLP Light Projection, DLP LED, DLP Laser, and film hehe thats my extent of it...

Edit: Oh wait, yes I have, those huge ugly things with the three lenses on them..... now I remember them

• 2 weeks later...
As for maintenance if you plan to keep it awhile you will have to change the lamp depending on how much and how bright you use it, in most cases you are better off just upgrading to a new projector.

Woah! So how many hours (roughly) do you get out of these bulbs?

So for business use... I plan on running a project for about 12 hours a day... with a 2,000 hour life span at 12 hours a day that means I'll only get about 166 days out of my project before I have to change the bulb? How much do these bulbs cost on average?

So for business use... I plan on running a project for about 12 hours a day... with a 2,000 hour life span at 12 hours a day that means I'll only get about 166 days out of my project before I have to change the bulb? How much do these bulbs cost on average?

here is a small comparison chart for a few that would be something you would use. Also, if you are going to buy one look out for deals that give you an extra bonus bulb.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/...projector=23585

• 2 weeks later...
If it's not DLP, it's not worth getting... DLP looks so much better then LCD projection

Sorry that is pretty far from accurate with newer projectors. DLP technology is old school technology. While it's true that heads up DLP is better than LCD technology, these days the 3-panel LCD (3LCD) projectors are far superior to the single panel DLP projectors. Primarily the problem with DLP projectors is meshing of the image as well as rainbowing due to the use of a color-wheel (you have to split the colors on a single chip DLP).

3-chip DLP systems are pretty bomb, but they are too expensive over $5000.

The big daddy of projection technology is actually LCOS, which is a sort of hybrid of DLP and LCD technology. The JVC DILA systems have the best reviews out there, but they are also pricey, mostly over $3k. Sony calls their LCOS technology SXRD, and there's a few that are over $2k.

For $1500 you can look at the Mitsubishi 1080P units, there's some you can get refurbed for under $1500 USD.

Personally I am debating between the Mitsubishi HC6000C ($1900) and the AAXA / LG AF115 ($2299). Both are 1080P projectors, the former uses 3LCD technology, the latter uses sony SXRD technology. I'm debating whether the improved image quality is worth $300 at this point...

Mitsubishi HC6000C

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-proje...7-32937289.html

AAXA / LG AF115

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/af115.htm

Also have been looking at the Epson TW2000 since it's size is a lot smaller:

http://gizmodo.com/296155/epson-shows-off-...ld-be-cheap-too

For business use you need a 4:3 business projector. Bulbs usually range from expensive to really expensive ($100-$350). My old Epson projector's bulb which I kept breaking (from traveling) cost me $150/pop.

You do know the average worker works 2080 hours per year right? So if you're projector is working FULL TIME the bulb will still last a year... Do you really plan on running your projector FULL TIME?

That said, if you're looking for a lightweight projector / no bulb change projector, have you seen the new pico projectors. I just ordered this one:

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/p2_pico_projector.htm

30,000 hour bulb life since it's an LED bulb and it's extremely compact. This is the best one I have found, 33 lumens, 800x600 battery powered, remote control. Cost me $349.00. If you care I'll give you feedback when I get it.

p2hand_l.jpg

There's also the Dell M109S which is 55 lumens, 858x400 but what turned me off about that was the big power supply and no battery power.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=224-0939

proj_m109s_overview1.jpg

Probably both of the above can't be used in anything but blacked out rooms though.

Only top of the line ones.. the new 3LCD ones and overall new digital ones blow away older DLP models. Only the ones who are $10k+ look great because LCD ones still have to compensate for insane black levels/contrast high-end DLP ones have. But I can tell you right now that new Epson ones and new Sony HW-20/80 models look absolutely insane even matching contrast with those $15k models from last year.

New lower end Epson is still an amazing value for the quality you get. 8100 model is $1500 is has 36,000:1 contrast and 1800 lumens (manufacturer you should effectively get around 1200 on mid-sized screens) which is fantastic, especially for that ridiculous price. Not to mention that Epson always had the best sharpness and you get a projector that's going to be bright, sharp, colorful, great contrast up to 110" EASY!

I am personally looking at Epson Pro Cinema 9500 UB with INSANE 200,000:1 contrast ratio to replace my current Sony HW-10. Sony HW-10 is also an amazing projector and I love it. On 106" screen I have the picture is stunning and yet I do kind of miss a bit more brightness. With prices dropping super fast on projectors I'm expecting that Epson 9500 UB will be around $3k early next year.

Edited by Boz

Vice, definitely even if you have a lower end PJ somewhere around $1000-$1500, screen will play a huge role. If your projector is rated at lower lumens (don't trust manufacturer ratings) you should get higher gain screens. Carada screens are EXCELLENT (high gain one) and if you want to go on a bit cheaper side, ELITE screens are solid and they have higher gain screen to. Da-Lite screens have high-power material which is perfect (2.8 gain) but you would need to have your projector positioned just above your eye level and not on the ceiling.

Use this screen selection calculator to see what gain you should be looking at optimally, then you can increase beyond that for even brighter picture but going super high in gain might also cause some color burn and over-brightness so it's not really ideal to go crazy there too.. 2.8 should be the max but even those might be a bit more $$ you are willing to spend.

Edited by Boz