Best Buy TV Return Policy

I purchased a new plasma set at Best Buy this weekend. After signing what I thought was a simple pickup form, I arrived home only to discover that the screen had a huge vertically running crack down the middle and more cracks in the upper right hand corner. The unit would not even power up (pop'd once and that was all). Thinking back I remembered some verbiage about the screen on the form I signed at pickup. So after a restless night's sleep I went back up to Best Buy to exchange it the following morning.

As I was afraid of, the people at Best Buy determined that I must have dropped it or something ("There is no way we would have missed a crack this big") and refused to exchange the TV for me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After going round and round with the very stubborn and accusatory management, they finally called the checkout guy to confirm that he only sliced the top of the box and didn't actually remove the top crate. Since he confirmed that we had little chance of seeing a vertically running crack from above they finally agreed to swap the set for me. After much heartache, I got the new set home safe and sound.

What upset me most about my experience though was the following:

-The pickup guys not once gave me the impression that this was the complete and FINAL inspection of the TV's integrity, 'If you have any problems, just bring it back'

-Since I got it close to closing time they not only didn't properly explain or open the TV for inspection, but they even forgot to remove several games we purchased from their security plastic

-The management: I can understand that there are some monkeys out there that throw them in the back of their hatchbacks but to be so absolutely strict on this seems a folly. Especially when I know full well that I took every reasonable precaution during transport. Do they really have that hard a time returning them to the manufacturer? We almost had to go to the security tape to verify my story (They immediately made me feel like a suspect instead of a customer)

So just a heads up, if you get a new TV at BBuy, either take the delivery option or double and triple check the set, out of the box in full light, before leaving the store. I was almost ready to have them power it up for me as well. I know a couple friends that had similar issues and Ultimate Electronics replaced it without batting an eye.

I purchased a new plasma set at Best Buy this weekend. After signing what I thought was a simple pickup form, I arrived home only to discover that the screen had a huge vertically running crack down the middle and more cracks in the upper right hand corner. The unit would not even power up (pop'd once and that was all). Thinking back I remembered some verbiage about the screen on the form I signed at pickup. So after a restless night's sleep I went back up to Best Buy to exchange it the following morning.

As I was afraid of, the people at Best Buy determined that I must have dropped it or something ("There is no way we would have missed a crack this big") and refused to exchange the TV for me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After going round and round with the very stubborn and accusatory management, they finally called the checkout guy to confirm that he only sliced the top of the box and didn't actually remove the top crate. Since he confirmed that we had little chance of seeing a vertically running crack from above they finally agreed to swap the set for me. After much heartache, I got the new set home safe and sound.

What upset me most about my experience though was the following:

-The pickup guys not once gave me the impression that this was the complete and FINAL inspection of the TV's integrity, 'If you have any problems, just bring it back'

-Since I got it close to closing time they not only didn't properly explain or open the TV for inspection, but they even forgot to remove several games we purchased from their security plastic

-The management: I can understand that there are some monkeys out there that throw them in the back of their hatchbacks but to be so absolutely strict on this seems a folly. Especially when I know full well that I took every reasonable precaution during transport. Do they really have that hard a time returning them to the manufacturer? We almost had to go to the security tape to verify my story (They immediately made me feel like a suspect instead of a customer)

So just a heads up, if you get a new TV at BBuy, either take the delivery option or double and triple check the set, out of the box in full light, before leaving the store. I was almost ready to have them power it up for me as well. I know a couple friends that had similar issues and Ultimate Electronics replaced it without batting an eye.

I would always check any glass display device before taking it home. Sometimes UPS, FedEx or freight supplier can drop these via forklift and or simple handling, and even with no damage on the box it can have a crack. I had an issue once from Costco and Best Buy. I no longer buy plasma's though, only LCD and LED's. Really, I have seen people scam from time to time, they drop the unit moving the new unit into their home and then want an exchange. It is like buying a car, before you take it off the lot, you inspect it like no tomorrow. If you leave the lot and then claim my headlight is broken, then you are usually sol.

Just my thoughts...

I hope you didnt pay sticker price at Best Buy. What most people dont know is that you can talk them down. When I got my Sony XB4, the retail price was 3200, I was able to get it for 2500.

I've learned my lesson. Problem with your analogy though is that I'm buying a new product, not a used one. They (or their reseller) should make things like this right with minimum of fuss. Avoiding annoyances like this are why I pay box store markup. I'm aware other stores don't do this (yet) but that the jugernaught that is Best Buy is the forerunner took me by surprise.

I was originally going to go LED but at almost 3x cost over the plasma, it wasn't worth the modest IQ gain to me and my old eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the problem with your situation is that you had it delivered. Of course this is not your fault, but as far as I am aware. If a customer purchases a TV over 40 or 42", the employees are required to open the box and turn on the TV to check for faults before the customer can take the TV set outside of the store.

I know this is what we do at most stores in Canada, not so sure about the practices in the USA at this point.

The reason for the fuss is because alot of people abuse policies such as this. Go home, kid breaks the TV, or you drop it, and you bring it back claiming it was like that out of the box. I am glad everything worked out for you in the end though :)

I don't buy anything electronic from Best Buy. Just don't like the company and their policies.

Why not? Their return policy is decent. 30 days. Places like PC Richards (where I bought my TV) has only 14 days.