[i] Canabalt

canabalt.png

Developer: Semi Secret Software

Price: 3.99 AUD

Version Reviewed: 1.0

Released: 01/10/2009

Category: Games

Canabalt. It's that game that you never heard of, and if you have, you just ignored it and done your own thing. And maybe you have played it, and loved it. Well, it has come to the iPhone. Canabalt is a sort of side scroller, but it's only one way, and you don't control the character in any way except one. Up. Yes, this is a jumping/side scroller game.

img0133w.png

First thing you may notice with this screenshot, is that it's very retroish (or you noticed the birds). The graphics are very retroish and blocky and look GREAT on the iPhone. The greyish colors set the mood of this game, as a dark, bleak city goes down. You are a man running from something, and one mistake may kill you. There are obstacles along the way and slow/kill you. You tap the screen to jump, if you hold it for longer he jumps higher till a certain height. The game has randomly changing building heights and gets very challenging after a bit.

img0121a.png

Here is one of those obstacles. This one, if you crash into it, kills you and turns you into a fine mist, or so it says. Since the game doesn't have a story or label anything, I call it a Destructoid. This is one of three ways you can die. This is the second easiest. The first easiest is hitting a wall and falling to your death, and the hardest way to die is by falling while a building is crumbling.

img0137i.png

Game over. You have two options here. Retry, or submit to twitter.

Final thoughts

This is a very basic but fun experimental game that takes up most of your time. I haven't mentioned this, but the music is very nice and suits the game completely. I hate listening to other music while I am playing this game. This is a time waster (makes you go, i'll try and get 100m more, then i'll stop) and you waste an hour and stare at amazement at the clock. The only con I can think of is this game is very, very expensive for what you are getting. But still :)

If you are weary at buying this game, play it online here. It is almost exactly the same, but on your iDevice.

Graphics & Presentation: 8/10

Audio: 9/10

Gameplay/Controls: 10/10

Replay Value: 9/10

Value For Money: 5/10

Overall: 9/10

41458.png

This was a review by Kirbeh on Neowin aka eldavo on iPTF

• 2 weeks later...

I love this little game and the music is pretty awesome. I even got it for my iPhone and I don't buy stuff on the App Store.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...