Dumped Windows 7 and going 100% Linux _only_ now

Hey folks,

Been running the Windows 7 RC and then the RTM for a some time now, while I like it -- i'm kind of tired of windows currently. It just seems kinda same-o same-o and I need a change :blush:

I downloaded and installed the 64 bit desktop version of Ubuntu (9.04) and i've only set up stuff like Compiz + it's plugins and the Emerald Theme Manager so far. I need some help this point onward.... I have no clue about the common Linux apps for just about anything. Could you guys suggest me a few apps in that area please :D

1. The best Audio player for linux out there (mp3, ogg, flac) -- ?

2. The best Video player for linux out there (h.264, mkv, mp4, avi etc. with ac3 audio + dts) -- ?

3. Torrent app -- ? (is there a uTorrent for linux?)

4. Download Manager -- ?

5. Image Viewer -- ? (i'm so used to Irfanview on windows, need something similar)

6. Image management app -- ? (something like Thumbsplus or Acdsee)

7. DVD/Image burning app --? (something like Imgburn)

8. Best Linux Web Browser -- ? (currently using Firefox that came bundled with Ubuntu)

9. Best Desktop Environment/Window Manager -- ? (currently using gnome with Compiz and its plugins)

Feel free to add in suggestions of apps out of the categories I mentioned above. I don't plan on using any AntiVirus app tho.

Thanks in advance :D

How is this trolling?

He is asking for honest recommendations.

To OP:

The only one i personally have experience with is web browser, and that is personal preference, i used to be an opera addict, but now have moved to firefox, they both work fined in ubuntu.

Well for me -- What I use (32 bit Jaunty) not saying they are the best-

Audo and Video -- I tend to like VLC (or to listen to music I installed Amarok 1.4 and not the one from the repo)

Torrent -- Don't do much but I use the nightly ppa build of Transmission (and it is much faster than the repo version)

Image Viewer -- F-Spot or Picassa (for organizing) though to note I have Irfanview running on the dev version of wine 1.1.30.

DVD = I toggle between the nightly (or deb from www.getdeb.net) of Brasero also I use K3B to burn my audio (only thing is that it will install some libraries from KDE to run (unless you have Kubuntu desktop installed)

Web Browser- -- Well I test the Chromium daily build (not the wine version the native one about 1 1/2 hours a night) , toggle between Firefox (shiretoko) 3.5.3 and Opera 10. Though when watching some sites I have to use FF 3.0.14 when viewing full screen flash - sometimes it cuts it off in FF 3.5.3 (shiretoko)

Well -- I have the following installed for DE (window managers) Xubuntu (XFCE) -- Gnome -- and also have LXDE -- Currently I am running the LXDE -- XFCE uses less resources than GNOME -- But LXDE uses even less.

Link to my online saved desktop images -- with pictures of my LXDE and XFCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/redvamp128/Desktops#

I use the default ones that come with the browser for the Download manager --

(oh and on the troll comment was meant for the removed post that said (YOU WILL BE BACK) or something like that)

Edited by redvamp128

How is this trolling?

He is asking for honest recommendations.

To OP:

The only one i personally have experience with is web browser, and that is personal preference, i used to be an opera addict, but now have moved to firefox, they both work fined in ubuntu.

Thank you frogger :)

You're quite correct about the personal preference part. I'm using firefox too currently (haven't updated to the latest version yet, will do later) and I was hoping to hear from any Chrome users, if Chrome is available on Linux at all.

opera for Linux i hear is quite good, i used Firefox on linux aparently dosnt auto update

Also youll find that the user experience of opera is consistent among different platforms, not an opera fan but for linux i liked it ALOT more

the window manager is debatable, but i agree with the above poster

Thank god for common sense and thank you frogger. I had almost lost faith in humanity. Almost.

You're quite correct about the personal preference part. I'm using firefox too currently (haven't updated to the latest version yet, will do later) and I was hoping to hear from any Chrome users, if Chrome is available on Linux at all.

Chromium is the open source development version of "Chrome" see my images on my Picasa page.

Well for me -- What I use (32 bit Jaunty) not saying they are the best-

Audo and Video -- I tend to like VLC (or to listen to music I installed Amarok 1.4 and not the one from the repo)

Torrent -- Don't do much but I use the nightly ppa build of Transmission (and it is much faster than the repo version)

Image Viewer -- F-Spot or Picassa (for organizing) though to note I have Irfanview running on the dev version of wine 1.1.30.

DVD = I toggle between the nightly (or deb from www.getdeb.net) of Brasero also I use KB3 to burn my audio (only thing is that it will install some libraries from KDE to run (unless you have Kubuntu desktop installed)

Web Browser- -- Well I test the Chromium daily build (not the wine version the native one about 1 1/2 hours a night) , toggle between Firefox (shiretoko) 3.5.3 and Opera 10. Though when watching some sites I have to use FF 3.0.14 when viewing full screen flash - sometimes it cuts it off in FF 3.5.3 (shiretoko)

Well -- I have the following installed for DE (window managers) Xubuntu (XFCE) -- Gnome -- and also have LXDE -- Currently I am running the LXDE -- XFCE uses less resources than GNOME -- But LXDE uses even less.

Link to my online saved desktop images -- with pictures of my LXDE and XFCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/redvamp128/Desktops#

I use the default ones that come with the browser for the Download manager --

(oh and on the troll comment was meant for the removed post that said (YOU WILL BE BACK) or something like that)

Excellent recommendations, thanks!! I'll be looking into these and Chromium.. thanks!! :D

Thanks for the hint about the troll post too -- I thought Barney was indicating my post.

Edited by javagreen

The reason for the "Do Not Troll" was because the super remove the first post to the "OP's" questions. It is not the "OP" that is being talked about as a troll. It was a good move by the super. :)

I look forward to see what individuals will post. I am always on the look out for new applications for Opensuse 64.

As to internet browers Firefox is still the best; with Adblocker Plus you can't go wrong.

Music wise I use Amarok.

Torrent = Utorrent

GUI = KDE 4.xx, just like better than Gnome.

The others I'll have to break them down later.

Thank you frogger :)

I'm using the Dev Channel of Chrome on Linux Mint and WOW -- is it fast!!!

Follow the directions here > http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel and it will install the latest version as well as put the Chrome repository in your update list...

Welcome to Linux -- you will love it (I was a Windows user since Windows 3.1),,,

Also the suggestions of VLC player are accurate -- great DVD and streaming audio playback.

Welcome to Linux, indeed, where you have a lot of choice for any of those needs. Maybe too many :p

As a KDE fan, I love Gwenview for image viewing, Digikam for image management which is far better than anything I've ever used in Windows. I'm also using Firefox, at least until there's a stable release of Chrome. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Gnome equivalents.

Good luck with the 100% switch.

You guys rock -- thanks a heap! :D

@themew : You're right... I'm loving it so far, Compiz rocks.. although i'm having a little problem of a couple downloaded themes not showing up in the Emerald Theme Manager window. I browsed and chose the downloaded theme file but no go -- it doesn't show up in the theme manager :o

I'm gonna look at Chrome/Chromium and Opera! I love seeing that Transmission is available on Linux too!

Thanks everybody -- keep the recommendations coming!

You'll be back on Windows in no time :laugh:

But honestly, I get those urges sometimes but when I face reality I remember just how good Windows is.

If you can't afford a Windows license that's understandable.

Hey, im kinda new to this but i do love my linux, one thing i would recommend is downloading something like Wine: http://www.winehq.org/

its completely free and you can install windows programs onto linux ( i know your moving from windows but other companies do make better versions of their software for windows and mac users conveniently forgetting the linux users ) hope that helps in some small way ;)

You'll be back on Windows in no time :laugh:

But honestly, I get those urges sometimes but when I face reality I remember just how good Windows is.

If you can't afford a Windows license that's understandable.

Well, actually with a student discount it's really affordable -- don't read me wrong.. i'm not saying there are issues with Windows 7, just that i'm kinda tired of the look and feel.. I feel like a dinosaur in there :(

I've been on windows forever, wanted to buy a Mac but it's prohibitively expensive where I live. I've even dabbled with OSx86 a bit. I thought Linux would be a sensible choice.

@SMELTN : I feel your pain :o

@General Sarcasm : Yeah, i'm gonna dabble with Wine too a lil bit -- only for stuff like Office2k7 maybe. I hope office runs within Wine?