Oilers and Canadiens to play outdoors

The NHL today approved a November game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Edmonton Oilers to be played outdoors in Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium to commemmorate the Oiler's 25th anniversary. The stadiums capacity is 55,000.

Pretty cool idea...i dont know if they will draw 55,000 to a regular season hockey game, but it will be neat to see how it turns out

Source : ESPN.com article

Thats real cool, If anyone has done it playing outside in the cold is lots of fun.

If anyone has done it? I'm assuming youre speaking to fellow Americans there.

Growing up, every day of the winter was spent on the hockey rink in back of my house... We'd get like 30 kids from within a 10 kilometer radius come play on the rink. Had my uncle bulldoze an official size rink and my next door neighbor who worked in the power commision set up 4 light poles around the rink.

Awesome too cause it was in the woods a ways so it was all forest around it. Great for late night games.

I don't know of anyone I have ever met from at least Nova Scotia who hasn't played hockey on a lake outside. Clear a patch of ice and away you go!

If anyone has done it? I'm assuming youre speaking to fellow Americans there.

Growing up, every day of the winter was spent on the hockey rink in back of my house... We'd get like 30 kids from within a 10 kilometer radius come play on the rink. Had my uncle bulldoze an official size rink and my next door neighbor who worked in the power commision set up 4 light poles around the rink.

Awesome too cause it was in the woods a ways so it was all forest around it. Great for late night games.

I don't know of anyone I have ever met from at least Nova Scotia who hasn't played hockey on a lake outside. Clear a patch of ice and away you go!

sounds fun...i wish we could do that here...we get out of school if there are snow flurries, so that gives you an idea of our climate...the only ice rink is at the mall, and they only have broom hockey...really sucks