'Cleverness is no more. This is a dumb Britain'

I just read an editorial by Jeremy Clarkson on Times Online, titled 'Cleverness is no more. This is a dumb Britain' (long read, but worth it). He wrote it in the light of the 40th anniversary of 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'.

One paragraph I have to fully agree with:

There?s a very good reason for this. Nowadays people wear their stupidity like a badge of honour. Knowing how to play chess will get your head kicked off. Reading a book with no pictures in it will cause there to be no friend requests on your Facebook page. Little Britain is funny because people vomit a lot. Monty Python is not because they delight in all manifestations of the terpsichorean muse.

Mind you, this phenomenon is by no means limited to Britain - I see the same symptoms here in Germany as well.

What do you think? Is the general public as a whole getting dumber and dumber over time, or am I just a grumpy old man for agreeing with Clarkson?

I certainly think so, especially

Nowadays people wear their stupidity like a badge of honour
. That just sums up how I feel about the entire situation. However this issue is not my primal concern, how others choose to lead their lives thankfully doesn't effect me.

I certainly think so, especially . That just sums up how I feel about the entire situation. However this issue is not my primal concern, how others choose to lead their lives thankfully doesn't effect me.

How others choose to lead their lives doesn't affect me much either. I just find it frustrating how difficult it must have become for too many to engage their brains.

Well given human nature we always opt for the easy way. Now that it is allowed and in fact encouraged, you can't be angry with people for following it. Dumb uneducated masses are easier to control. So as I said, as long as I and others who choose not to follow this trend are not being hindered, then by all means...

I find it a little odd that on one hand he would criticize the general public for their supposed stupidity and lack of intellect and then on the other present a program in a manner that caters specifically for those two characteristics :s

I find it a little odd that on one hand he would criticize the general public for their supposed stupidity and lack of intellect and then on the other present a program in a manner that caters specifically for those two characteristics :s

how would he ern a living if he bored the audience into watching strictly come dancing?

In many ways, people like Microsoft and Apple are to blame. Consider how simple they make complex things on computers. They don't serve to make the person thing or evolve any more. Complex things make people more clever, dumb things keep people from evolving. Same thing can be said about TV over the past 10 years or so. All these stupid reality shows have helped to keep our population dumb.

What do you think? Is the general public as a whole getting dumber and dumber over time, or am I just a grumpy old man for agreeing with Clarkson?

It's the same here in the US as well. I think Clarkson is right. I'm really not sure of the reasons why, though. Maybe our modern day civilization is not as advanced as we thought.

I think that dumber people and loser types just make more noise and fuss than anyone else, and get more attention from the media. I don't think there are more of them though.

There is a lot more of them, They have nothing to do but breed all day since they are unemployed or dont want to work etc etc. Dont get me started, I can feel a rant comming on lol. And when these kids grow up they are either lacking a role model and are deemed to run out the same patterns as the people that raised them, Usually one parent missing etc. Remember you are only successful as the five most successful people around you ;)

As usual, Clarkson is spot on, and not afraid of saying it publicly either!

Personally, I'm damned PROUD of winning my county's school chess championship when I was 9. ;)

Plus, I've never wanted to watch Little Britain, as I have no desire to catch the Stupid. :p

Edited by FloatingFatMan

Personally, I'm damned PROUD of winning my county's school chess championship when I was 9. ;)

That's because you are a nerd and aren't afraid to show it. :p

That's because you are a nerd and aren't afraid to show it. :p

Oh, worse than that. I'm a bully's dream come true! His nightmares! I'm a super-nerd that isn't scared of him, and knows how to fight! ;)

It's the same here in the US as well. I think Clarkson is right. I'm really not sure of the reasons why, though. Maybe our modern day civilization is not as advanced as we thought.

Part of the problem in the US is to do with the no child left behind act and the "feel good" nature of left wing politics.

Classes move along at the pace of the dumbest individual, thus intelligent kids are not learning to their full potential, on the whole making the average lower.

Part of the problem in the US is to do with the no child left behind act and the "feel good" nature of left wing politics.

Classes move along at the pace of the dumbest individual, thus intelligent kids are not learning to their full potential, on the whole making the average lower.

That doesn't account for all the older people who instead of getting older and wiser get older and dumber. I've seen some senior citizens do some really dumb things of late.