Purpose of Magazines?

I was wondering what is the purpose of magazines? The reason I ask is because Wired caught my eye whilst I was in Tesco and been naturally interested in Technology I was thinking of buying it. However I wondered what would be the point of me spending ?3.90 on this. I understand that you people who get the train or whatever to and from work can spend 40mins reading it, Apart from advertising products what other purpose do the articles written serve? Do they give us ideas? Do they inspire us? Have you ever been inspired by a magazine article?

Before the real advent of the internet, magazines served much greater purpose than they do now. Magazines would be my primary place for hardware and software news and reviews, along with tutorials and hints and tips. PC Plus used to be my magazine of choice. Back in the day it used to be a HUGE magazine and you'd get a DVD or 2 packed with free software give-aways too. These days the magazine is very thin, and the DVD next to useless.

For me, having a magazine now is just something to read when I'm on the train, or going to be sat doing nothing for long periods of time but even then I can just use my mobile phone instead. Technology wise, I think magazines are well on the decline.

However - I do subscribe to several cooking magazines. They give me great recipe ideas, illustrate techniques, etc. Nothing I couldn't find online, but it's nice to have it in physical form that I can browse through at my own convenience, with recipes that are really relevant to the time that the magazine is published.

IMO Call me old fashioned but, I still find it easier on my eyes to read a magazine then reading a computer screen. btw Wired is the only magazine that I subscribe to and pay to keep.

Like Kinetix i used to get a magazine called computer shopper. anyone remeber that one. But like PC Plus i dont find a use for it anymore. Its mostly ads now.

I think it really depends on the magazine as well.. Some things, especially the girly gossip magazines, just don't really have an internet analog (or should that be digital? :p ). Certainly though, computing magazines are dying fast, with only really the games console ones much use. Last time I picked up a PC mag, it was ?5.99 for 80% glossy ads, a rubbish DVD, and a few already out of date articles.

I do like to read the Top Gear magazine from time to time though. The website just isn't as funny.;))

Also magazines provide a tactile response, it is in your hands and you are reading it, that being on the internet just cannot provide.

More often than not the person writing for a magazine is a true professional, a journalist, and no knock against internet writers, but you do not have to be studied in the field you write for if you are a blogger, etc.

Wired is an excellent magazine, I am easily on my 5th year of having a subscription, and I actually still subscribe to it, Maxim, Game Informer, OXM Magazine, and PSM Magazine. Even though I will admit the game releated magazines are usually old news by the time I get them, there is almost always an exlusive interview or story I did not catch online.

I tend to read things like Psychologies, New Scientist, a few girly magazines and the occasional Linux magazine. I try not to buy any too often though because they are a bit expensive.

They collect together a bunch of interesting articles and such that would take time to find on the internet, especially without knowing what you are looking for exactly.

They also give entertainment away from the computer - I can take them to work for lunch breaks or curl up in bed with them, as I do books.

I like being away from the screen every so often. Wired is good, and I like .NET magazine too. Agreed on the DVD though - utter rubbish, especially when, quite literally, you can often download items quicker than it takes to load the disc into the drive, spin it up etc.

I was wondering what is the purpose of magazines? The reason I ask is because Wired caught my eye whilst I was in Tesco and been naturally interested in Technology I was thinking of buying it. However I wondered what would be the point of me spending ?3.90 on this. I understand that you people who get the train or whatever to and from work can spend 40mins reading it, Apart from advertising products what other purpose do the articles written serve? Do they give us ideas? Do they inspire us? Have you ever been inspired by a magazine article?

Art magazines are the best way to keep you updated about what it's going on with art around the world

I dont really buy them unless Im on a journy but even then I only really buy top gear. I bought "Stuff" when I was going to Rome in the summer and while it was great to look at the up coming technology, if you didnt have a spare ?7000 to spend on a new chair with speakers in it then the stuff I was reading was not for you. lol

Not to stray to far from the topic but I dont understand the concept of papers anymore. Im not talking about the good kind like the Times or FT which I dont read lol. Im talking about the like of the Sun or Mirror. I used to buy them on the train when I was going to uni for the sport etc but ten mins of Sky news in the morning while getting changed gave me more up to date news than the papers. Do any of you find this?

I like the tactile feel of turning a page in a magazine/newspaper/book. There is a feeling that you get that web pages don't give you.

Plus, there is the longevity of print. You can keep them around for further viewing. With web pages you have to go back and find the link. Much easier to dogear a page.

Plus, it's a pain to bring a laptop in the hopper when you're dropping some kids off at the pool. ;)