[i] Studio Raises Price of iPhone App to $40 to Shut Whiners Up

Studio Raises Price of iPhone App to $40 to Shut Whiners Up

By Chris Jacob, 1:20 AM on Tue Oct 13 2009

alchemize.jpg

Schiau Studios got annoyed at users complaining about paying $3 for a game. To teach all the whiners a lesson, they raised the price of their game. To $40.

The increase was only temporary, and the game (Alchemize) has since returned to $2.99. But it demonstrated a good point: the App Store is super cheap.

In a particularly classy move, any revenues the developers earned during the increased price period go to charity.

It doesn't get any less expensive than the App Store. Case in point: the same games on the iPhone are cheaper than the PSP version. We've got it good right now. Please, whiners. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Source: Gizmodo

i agree the app store is stupid cheap for games and for the most part the games have quality to them where as there are several games that people would spend 30 or more on for the PS2 that were just horrible in quality.

That game isn't worth more than ?5 maximum anyway.

I wonder why games on the psp cost more, is it competition or how much sony takes off the top, perhaps developers think loyal Sony customers will be willing to pay more.

I wonder why games on the psp cost more, is it competition or how much sony takes off the top, perhaps developers think loyal Sony customers will be willing to pay more.

i think it has something to do with small developers making these games and it not costing so much, where as sony.....well need i say anymore?

http://gizmodo.com/5372317/the-same-game-c...-the-iphone-why

Short answer: ESRB ratings add a massive $2500 overhead, iPhone games don't have this problem.

http://gizmodo.com/5372317/the-same-game-c...-the-iphone-why

Short answer: ESRB ratings add a massive $2500 overhead, iPhone games don't have this problem.

Apparently not. ESRB made this quote after that article came out

The ESRB has a reduced fee of $800 for games that have development costs under $250,000," Mizrachi said, "which would likely apply to virtually all PSP Minis.
Source: Kotaku

i agree the app store is stupid cheap for games and for the most part the games have quality to them where as there are several games that people would spend 30 or more on for the PS2 that were just horrible in quality.

Agreed! I played hours with my 0,79?-buy "Flight Control"...