I fought Microsoft over selling NFR software and I won!

It sounds like the only ones complaining about those of us that received the party packs are the ones who didn't get anything! While it was not my original intention to do what I am endeavoring to do, it did become clear that what I really wanted was a RETAIL edition of Windows 7 Professional, and by letting someone else have a chance at this package, I could in turn get what I really wanted. Now is that so bad? I think not. :no:

Besides, the money is going right back to Microsoft!

It sounds like the only ones complaining about those of us that received the party packs are the ones who didn't get anything! While it was not my original intention to do what I am endeavoring to do, it did become clear that what I really wanted was a RETAIL edition of Windows 7 Professional, and by letting someone else have a chance at this package, I could in turn get what I really wanted. Now is that so bad? I think not. :no:

Besides, the money is going right back to Microsoft!

No you are definitely wrong about that. Everybody in this thread probably has access to Windows 7 one way or another.

You really don't know why people are mad??

Here's an example for you: You have a birthday party and everybody gives you presents, which you in turn sell to your buddies for cash.

It's not necessarily wrong, but it DOES in fact make you a douchebag for doing so. That's why people are mad.

The gift was given for you to USE. If you weren't going to use it, then you had no right applying to get it in the first place and taking the spot of somebody who could have actually used it. That's it.

Some people will do anything for a buck.?:rolleyes::

Seriously - I just do not get the point. You won in an argument with Microsoft over something like this? Uh...congrats? I still think you are a lowlife, though.;))

I signed up for the party pack, not knowing that they were sending a copy of Windows 7. But after I realized I was the only geek that would show up at my windows 7 party I forgot all about it. Then the party park came in the mail. I already have Technet and before I got that I pre-ordered 2 copies of the upgrade. If I sell those for a profit is everyone gonna bad mouth me for that?

Considering the details of the promo was all over the net, and any place that had posted info on it also posted what you got for being chosen, there is no way that you signed up for that and didn't know what it was.

Looks like my EBAY auction was pulled today also. So I sent off an Email to them with the OPs info. Will see what happens.

Thought that's what it was about before I even read that part.

It sounds like the only ones complaining about those of us that received the party packs are the ones who didn't get anything!

Actually, I received mine. It's already in use and I will be following the rules as required. I complain about because it was wrong for him to sell it. Maybe not legally wrong, but wrong nonetheless. From the amount of the ebay listings I've seen, the vast majority only signed up for the promo to sell it.

As if it costs them anything to stamp a few discs and give them away. I'm sure the publicity from the event itself will gain more than enough purchases of Windows 7 to financially handle the "horrible, wrong" act done by the OP...

As if it costs them anything to stamp a few discs and give them away. I'm sure the publicity from the event itself will gain more than enough purchases of Windows 7 to financially handle the "horrible, wrong" act done by the OP...

Well besides the production costs, it did cost them the sales they didn't get from the peopel who got the gifts.

I seriously fail to see how he's "standing against the big dogs".

It's a pretty douche move on your part to be honest and even worse is that you are acting like you have all the right to do it.

I seriously fail to see how he's "standing against the big dogs".

It's a pretty douche move on your part to be honest and even worse is that you are acting like you have all the right to do it.

Well he didn't really stand against anyone or win anything.

He complained and Microsoft saw a whiny kid, and thought, well it really isn't worth it, we could fight him and crush him like an annoying bug, but it really isn't worth it. just let him sell it.

Nice one, I didn't think that an individual can become a bigger ass than a Corporation, somehow you managed to pull this off though.

Maybe I'm all fail at reading comprehension, but the last email stated that MS didn't object to having your auction relisted, so technically you didn't win anything, they just didn't bother battling for it.

But like I said, maybe it's just me that fails here

No hard feelings by the way ^^

Before this **HOPEFULLY** dies, i want to add my 5 cents worth

OP, youre my hero....not

What a to$$er, taking away free software from someone who could have used it, and then selling it for profit, and then posting on a forum that you *beat* Microsoft

What are you, like 13?

Go straight to NULL

+100

If it's any consolation, Microsoft is (hopefully) smart enough to flag this guy's name in the future so that he is no longer eligible for free offers of any kind from them. It'd also be pretty cool if they permanently denied him entry into any of their beta testing programs.

Can't this thread just die already? :yes:

Unfortunately it nows seems that Microsoft has become a Sacred Cow around here, and it is sacreligious to do anything against them. Not only that, but apparently the mods around here have deemed it OK for people to repeatedly insult me. Since Tom Warren reposted my story on the front page, I have become the most reviled member on Neowin. Wow, I never expected that so many people around here supported Microsoft's habit of abusing and misusing copyright laws to keep people from reselling items on eBay. I guess that after all my years here as a contributing member, it is time to say goodbye. This site has gone downhill quite a lot in the past few years, both in quality of reporting and the maturity level of the people posting here. I got a warning today for a link that was on my profile for a couple of years, and which I had completely forgotten was there! This warning came simply because so many people had begun actually looking at my profile after I posted this story, and one ******* reported me. The irony is that the warning was issued by the very mod who took my story and reposted it to the front page without even asking me for more details on it. If I was to go through all of the posts of people insulting me here in this thread, or on the front page news reporting people, I'd be at it for a very long time. Not one single mod or admin here has taken it upon themselves to reprimand people for those insults, which is in itself an insult.

For me the goods given to me free are worth more than anything I have bought using money. I won't sell anything that has given to me as a gift. I'll treasure it.

Unfortunately it nows seems that Microsoft has become a Sacred Cow around here, and it is sacreligious to do anything against them. Not only that, but apparently the mods around here have deemed it OK for people to repeatedly insult me. Since Tom Warren reposted my story on the front page, I have become the most reviled member on Neowin. Wow, I never expected that so many people around here supported Microsoft's habit of abusing and misusing copyright laws to keep people from reselling items on eBay. I guess that after all my years here as a contributing member, it is time to say goodbye. This site has gone downhill quite a lot in the past few years, both in quality of reporting and the maturity level of the people posting here. I got a warning today for a link that was on my profile for a couple of years, and which I had completely forgotten was there! This warning came simply because so many people had begun actually looking at my profile after I posted this story, and one ******* reported me. The irony is that the warning was issued by the very mod who took my story and reposted it to the front page without even asking me for more details on it. If I was to go through all of the posts of people insulting me here in this thread, or on the front page news reporting people, I'd be at it for a very long time. Not one single mod or admin here has taken it upon themselves to reprimand people for those insults, which is in itself an insult.

Welcome to "15 min of fame", I'm not sure about you saying goodbye to neowin. It's a good community and people are angry at you for a good reason.

I say take one in the ass and move on, there are few here who're s*** heads but that's no reason to leave. Also don't feel bad about warning I'm @ 60% now, and those j*** a** mods keep rasing every month :laugh:

I personally think this whole matter is pure BS on both Neowin (making the matter front page. thus, supporting it) and roadwarriors (for even taking advantage of the deal) behalf. Seriously, how could you NOT foresee the backlash?

Well.. what did you expect? It was wrong and you got called on it. Now you're gonna whine and cry about it?

what cracks me up is that EBAY and Microsoft seem to pick and choose which auctions to pull. Just do a search for Windows 7 on EBAy and there are at least 50 auctions that havent been pulled yet and hundreds of completed sales. Plus there are auctions for people admittedly selling tech Net keys how about those?

I have to say something:

If someone defends MS over defending an individual, then that individual truly did something wrong. In every other story, MS is going to have their fair share of haters, but not this type of thread.

What you are selling is essentially somebody's trust and good faith. And hey, karma really does suck.